By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - RUMOR: Durango details discussed by anonymous source

Shinobi-san said:
Seems legit to me. Although why go with RT?

The main reason for using RT is that it is an encrypted OS.  Unlike Windows 8, which can run any code, Windows RT can only run applications that are authorized.

Everything that runs on Xbox 8 will be authorized through an initial process and as apps and games are personally added to individual consoles.  It isn't significantly different from the DRM on Xbox 360, but it will be much more effective in preventing or eliminating piracy.

Around the Network
wfz said:
Indie Friendly! Only a $60 license!

... Why is this a good thing for consumers? I'm all for helping indie developers, but there needs to be better curation than a simple $60 license barrier.

It was only $100 for the Xbox 360.

theprof00 said:
JoeTheBro said:
theprof00 said:
Also batteriez???!?
Ms gunna nickel and dime once again?

XBOX 720 subsidized by Duracell confirmed!

I wouldn't be surprised, but saving money by making the consumer pay for the parts on their own separate bill is what the problem is, when lithiums are dirt cheap on the manufacturers market.

3000mAH NiMH AA batteries cost less than Lithium batteries, are less damaging to the environment, and much easier to produce.

If they improve the battery pack with 3000mAH NiMH AA batteries, I'll be happy. 

Leadified said:
I wonder if you would be able to use Xbox 360 controllers on the 720, kind of like the PS1 and PS2.

No.  The Xbox 360 uses a modified version of 802.11 Wi-Fi.  The Xbox 8 will use a UHF frequency.

Hmmm.... Not sure if this was mentioned...

http://www.vgleaks.com/rumor-durango-leaks-analyzed-by-anonymous-source-pastebin-doc/

Why would VGleaks feel compelled to report this? Sounds like this might be true after all.

Around the Network
Goatseye said:
tres said:
i doubt it but people really dont understand the biggest positive scenario if this soc rumor was true. ALL games dont need next gen power. That being said low budget games could still be made for the the x360 for years with an enormous market to tap into.

I thought the same thing when I read that part. I'm pretty sure MS is coming out blasting its way to success.

My wish for the next Xbox besides new Killer Instinct is that they make an Arcade version of Microsoft Flight Simulator. I would loose all my social habits for months.

You do realize there is a free version called Microsoft Flight available for download ... from Microsoft.

Microsoft sold the rights and code for Flight Simulator, so it's unlikely you'd see a PC game come to the console.

If the Store/WinRT part is true, it's basically a Steam Box. But with Windows.

All the Steam Box hype people should now praise MS.

MaulerX said:
Hmmm.... Not sure if this was mentioned...

http://www.vgleaks.com/rumor-durango-leaks-analyzed-by-anonymous-source-pastebin-doc/

Why would VGleaks feel compelled to report this? Sounds like this might be true after all.

LOL, vgleaks is not 100% correct, as a matter of fact I dont believe their leak will be anything like the final xbox 720, that was an old concept from feb 2012.

JimmyDanger said:
theprof00 said:
Also batteriez???!?

I wasn't aware that MS sold batteries.

That said - there are these thins available called rechargeable batteries. They're cheap - cost about $6 for 4 - and non proprietary - so you can use them across a wide range of devices - so you should usually always have a few charged sitting around!

And if batteries are the worst thing people can troll - MS is on to a winner.

Yes, thankfully they do.  They originally did sell a battery pack, then stopped.  During which time, you couldn't find good aftermarket batteries that lasted as long per charge as Microsoft's.  Again, thankfully they started selling them again.  My only complaint with Microsoft's is that they're only 2100 mAH batteries.  As you're probably aware, you can buy much better NiMH batteries.

Adinnieken said:
JimmyDanger said:
theprof00 said:
Also batteriez???!?

I wasn't aware that MS sold batteries.

That said - there are these thins available called rechargeable batteries. They're cheap - cost about $6 for 4 - and non proprietary - so you can use them across a wide range of devices - so you should usually always have a few charged sitting around!

And if batteries are the worst thing people can troll - MS is on to a winner.

Yes, thankfully they do.  They originally did sell a battery pack, then stopped.  During which time, you couldn't find good aftermarket batteries that lasted as long per charge as Microsoft's.  Again, thankfully they started selling them again.  My only complaint with Microsoft's is that they're only 2100 mAH batteries.  As you're probably aware, you can buy much better NiMH batteries.

I buy my batteries from ALDI!

I had a couple of play/charge kits, that lasted from 2006 til 2009 - and were constantly used (I had a lot of Pro Evo/poker nights before I had a kid!) - but when it came time to replace them - I just used the AA rechargeables I used for my KB/Mouse/Remote Controls. I figured I had enough AA's to go around, and was happy I didn't have to run out and buy some proprietary or self install stuff. I'm glad that it was my choice though - and not forced upon me.