By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Bethesda: Used games 'absolutely' a concern

The point that those who argue against used game sales often miss is that people use trade-ins to make their first-day purchases.

There are those who would like to see the rights of the consumer -- and the First Sale Doctrine -- trampled. Often, these are the same companies that release buggy, incomplete games.

I miss the days when games had to be correct when they went out the door because they could not be patched.

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

Around the Network
JayWood2010 said:
Goatseye said:
XBLA
http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Product/Modern-Warfare-3/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d802415608cb
PSN
https://store.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com/#!/en-us/games/call-of-duty-modern-warfare-3/cid=UP0002-NPUB30787_00-MW3FULLGAMEDL001?utm_medium=referral&utm_source=pscom&utm_campaign=pscom-UP0002-NPUB30787_00-MW3FULLGAMEDL001&smcid=ps:call-of-duty-modern-warfare-3-ps3:up0002-npub30787_00-mw3fullgamedl001:ps-games-call-of-duty-modern-warfare-3-ps3.html

COD:MW3 is $59.99 on XBLA/PSN and it was released on: 11.08.2011.
Almost a year and a half after it was released it didn't drop a dime on XBLA/PSN.
Guess who is going to have monopoly of the digital market when used games are banned?

Retail it is 35 to $40.  Retail is what we are talking about, not digital.

Only because the used game is cheaper.

OT:I would actually buy a game for 60$ if it is worth 60$. I have no problem giving 60$ for a game that I think will be awesome. In general my rule is 1$ per hour for console games. I usually cannot find 60 hours worth of gaming from new games.

I really do not want the industry to turn out like Steam. Only reason I have steam is because the game I bought for full price that I knew was going to be worth it forced me to get steam. I have not bought digital from Steam, I only have gifted games.

why is it this industry the only one that gives a damn about used sales?

animegaming said:
why is it this industry the only one that gives a damn about used sales?

Gamers are easy target.

Barozi said:
One of the few moments where the PC elitist in me cannot stop laughing.

Do you hear many Steam owners screaming that they can't sell the games ?

Similar case with retail games. Sure you can sell them, but the future purchaser knows that due to the key that comes with each game it's not possible (or highly risky) to play online.
You're getting the same effect with pirating a game, therefore the used games market for PC games is tiny.

It looks like people can still trade with used games for one more generation, but after that 90% of all sales will be digital through the major services and that will be the end of used games anyway.

People did, but they just kinda were told to shut up and deal with it. How steam is set up is that you never really own any of the things you've purchased as your account and only access to games can removed at any moment. It's not a very similar situation.

And it's super easy to pirate PC games, which is why it's not as big a deal if you can't find something. Cracks are available for everything.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Around the Network

Why is the Video Game Industry special? All other entertainment industries have some sort of used part to them. If these developers can't entice people to pre-order/buy their games new then that is only their fault. (And if this is seriously costing them, then maybe they should consider a nicer budget for their games.)

outlawauron said:
Barozi said:

Similar case with retail games. Sure you can sell them, but the future purchaser knows that due to the key that comes with each game it's not possible (or highly risky) to play online.
You're getting the same effect with pirating a game, therefore the used games market for PC games is tiny.

It looks like people can still trade with used games for one more generation, but after that 90% of all sales will be digital through the major services and that will be the end of used games anyway.

1) People did, but they just kinda were told to shut up and deal with it. How steam is set up is that you never really own any of the things you've purchased as your account and only access to games can removed at any moment. It's not a very similar situation.

2) And it's super easy to pirate PC games, which is why it's not as big a deal if you can't find something. Cracks are available for everything.

1) Well yes it is. Microsoft can ban consoles from their network, they used to lock your 360 harddrive and they will remove your achievements if you cheat.
The post WiiU/PS4/Xbox³ gen will be even more similar to Steam. It's quite possible that by that time "always-on" might be the standard.

2) That's what I also said, but you're not be able to get into the multiplayer modes.

Sure local network play and such things, but not unless you know ~16 people who are willing to play with you everytime you want.
Then there are non official servers in some (!) cases that use outdated versions of the game with tons of cheaters.

Bottom line, if you like to play a game online you need to buy the game new or at least a valid new key.
Pretty much the same as buying an online pass for used games.

Barozi said:
outlawauron said:
Barozi said:

1) People did, but they just kinda were told to shut up and deal with it. How steam is set up is that you never really own any of the things you've purchased as your account and only access to games can removed at any moment. It's not a very similar situation.

2) And it's super easy to pirate PC games, which is why it's not as big a deal if you can't find something. Cracks are available for everything.

1) Well yes it is. Microsoft can ban consoles from their network, they used to lock your 360 harddrive and they will remove your achievements if you cheat.
The post WiiU/PS4/Xbox³ gen will be even more similar to Steam. It's quite possible that by that time "always-on" might be the standard.

2) That's what I also said, but you're not be able to get into the multiplayer modes.

Sure local network play and such things, but not unless you know ~16 people who are willing to play with you everytime you want.
Then there are non official servers in some (!) cases that use outdated versions of the game with tons of cheaters.

Bottom line, if you like to play a game online you need to buy the game new or at least a valid new key.
Pretty much the same as buying an online pass for used games.

Depends on the game. I've played many things together with friends online that neither of us bought. There's always some workaround the people find.

And while I do find online passes annoying, I understand and accept those. But it's very different from serial key as you can only get those from buying a new game ($5 or $10 versus $50 or $60).

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Tight bastards, if i promise to buy your game brand new, you should promise to hire a better game testing team, so there are no bugs and abolish online passes (this applies to all companies who complain the 2nd hand market). It's only fair

Xbox One, PS4 and Switch (+ Many Retro Consoles)

'When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called the people's stick'- Mikhail Bakunin

Prediction: Switch will sell better than Wii U Lifetime Sales by Jan 1st 2018

NintendoPie said:
Why is the Video Game Industry special? All other entertainment industries have some sort of used part to them. If these developers can't entice people to pre-order/buy their games new then that is only their fault. (And if this is seriously costing them, then maybe they should consider a nicer budget for their games.)

Because the industry is not as big as WE would like it to be. If it was larger no one would give a crap about it. Sure they could try to reduce the budget for all their next games, but that would not help the industry at all. Neither to attract new gamers nor to satisfy the current ones.

Then all other entertainment markets have a much lower entry price for their products. Therefore they can only fall by so much, thus making the difference between used price and new price much smaller. Buying a Blu-Ray used for $5 or get it new for $10 is a much easier decision that buying a used game for $15 or the game new for $30, even though the precental difference is exactly the same.

If the gaming market was as big as the movie market you can be sure that games would cost about as much as Blu-Rays. But it isn't so we have to deal with higher prices that actually should be raised by $10 for inflation reasons. The fact that Sony is not doing it (and Microsoft would be stupid not to follow) is already a clear sign that gaming is getting cheaper and yet gamers seem to be the true cheapskates.

Is it really so much to ask to wait for a game to reach $30-40 dollar, which happens in a couple of weeks anyway ,than buy it a day or two after launch used for the same price ?