By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - 720 will Decide if WiiU RAM is enough.

burninmylight said:
Mazty said:
Rafux said:

"If Madden was downscaled from a fucking cell processor system to a PS2, I have no need to get into the specifics. It's downscaling, and it's doable. You can reduce the resolution and the effects, just like you would with a low-end PC. There's nothing more to explain."

Yea like Dead Rising Wii which had like 8 zombies per area, downscaling fixes everything right?.

Please guys don't stop this thread the damage control is fucking hilarious.

Exactly. When a thread is about hardware and software, it should be a bannable offence to join in the convo if you have no idea what you're talking about.

You know what? That's a great idea! Let's take the idea and spread it all across the forums! It should be bannable offense to join in on the convo if you've never played a certain game, or spent __ amount of time with a certain console, or done this certain activity. That way we can all stay in our own happy little worlds and not worry about stepping on anyone's toes. Only one drawback though: what would people like yourself do with all the extra time?

You could join us in the NSFW topics about sex! Oh wait, nevermind...

No, bro, that's a fallacy. Arguing about a topic one is ignorant about, beyond reason (he started making technical claims LAWL), should be bannable. Just giving your 2 cents is fine, as long as you're willing to admit that you don't know everything. Arrogance and ignorance helps no one and no debate. 

Yeah I'll give that a pass - I  wouldn't want to be in a thread all on my own ;)

Around the Network

It looks that way - he couldn't stay objective. Seeing as you have a 7970, you obviously know the difference between what the consoles offer and what PC's offer - to act as if that difference is negligible, which he was, is just ignorance. I've a 560 Ti and even I can see that PC's, and therefore potentially the PS4, can still offer a hell of a lot more than what is on offer today. 

Simply put, BF3, FC3, Crysis 1-3, Metro: 2033, Bioshock: Infinite, AC3, and Borderlands 2 with x4EQ Super Sampling all look a full generation ahead when maxed out in 1080p.  Yes the same difference between PS2 and early-mid PS3 games.  The funny thing is my PC is twice as strong as you would need your PC to be to max out those games.

In addition to that most of those mentioned games have more enemies on screen and much faster loading times too.

burninmylight said:

MY POINT WAS ABOUT METRO: LAST LIGHT AND WHY IT ISN'T COMING TO THE WII U. I then went on to talk about how every console receives less than stellar ports. I will not repeat things I've already typed. Please go back and read more carefully.

I've already answered that. This topic is about the next gen console (specs) and its influence on the Wii U.. Which is why I compared them, to give you some perspective on the hardware. If a brand new console cannot hold up to 7-8 year old ones.. (in terms of performance, on ports), then thats shocking tbh. Unoptimised or not, it should be at least powerful enough to handle ported games from the PS3/360 with little trouble. If the console had a more balanced architecture it would have been much easier decision for THQ to consider the Wii U version. Yes, they were in financial trouble but guess what.. hardware plays a major factor in decisions regarding cross-platform development. Making a game for multiple consoles costs them time and money and if a dev deems it not worth the hassle well then, thats.. that.

Captain_Tom said:

It looks that way - he couldn't stay objective. Seeing as you have a 7970, you obviously know the difference between what the consoles offer and what PC's offer - to act as if that difference is negligible, which he was, is just ignorance. I've a 560 Ti and even I can see that PC's, and therefore potentially the PS4, can still offer a hell of a lot more than what is on offer today. 

Simply put, BF3, FC3, Crysis 1-3, Metro: 2033, Bioshock: Infinite, AC3, and Borderlands 2 with x4EQ Super Sampling all look a full generation ahead when maxed out in 1080p.  Yes the same difference between PS2 and early-mid PS3 games.  The funny thing is my PC is twice as strong as you would need your PC to be to max out those games.

In addition to that most of those mentioned games have more enemies on screen and much faster loading times too.

They don't look a generation ahead IMO. They look, however, much better than console games and I believe nobody can argue with that.

hinch said:
burninmylight said:

MY POINT WAS ABOUT METRO: LAST LIGHT AND WHY IT ISN'T COMING TO THE WII U. I then went on to talk about how every console receives less than stellar ports. I will not repeat things I've already typed. Please go back and read more carefully.

I've already answered that. This topic is about the next gen console (specs) and its influence on the Wii U.. Which is why I compared them, to give you some perspective on the hardware. If a brand new console cannot hold up to 7-8 year old ones.. (in terms of performance, on ports), then thats shocking tbh. Unoptimised or not, it should be at least powerful enough to handle ported games from the PS3/360 with little trouble. If the console had a more balanced architecture it would have been much easier decision for THQ to consider the Wii U version. Yes, they were in financial trouble but guess what.. hardware plays a major factor in decisions regarding cross-platform development. Making a game for multiple consoles costs them time and money and if a dev deems it not worth the hassle well then, thats.. that.

bolded: just like xbox 360 could barely run ps2 ports on the same quality.

Around the Network
Zero999 said:
hinch said:
burninmylight said:

They never looked worse lol.  Are you high?!

RazorDragon said:
Captain_Tom said:

They don't look a generation ahead IMO. They look, however, much better than console games and I believe nobody can argue with that.

That is your opinion and you are entitled to it.  But I will say that a lot of the benifits aren't immediately apparent.  For instance good levels of AA can make a massive difference once you get used to things more than 10 feet away not looking like a blocky mess...

Captain_Tom said:
Zero999 said:
hinch said:
burninmylight said:

I missed the part where Zero999 said they looked worse. You position yourself as a technical know-it-all, so I figure you would know that graphics aren't the only factor that goes into the quality of a port. Perhaps he's referring to the framerate, load times and input responsiveness on how those games run? Like I said at the bottom of my last post, Tony Hawk's Project 8 came out for PS2 and PS3, but played like crap on the more powerful console.

hinch said:
burninmylight said:

Funny how it takes three days and about half a dozen or so posts before you say, "But this topic is about...". You knew what (and who) I originally responded to in my first post, you knew what my post was about, and you knew it was a minor divergence from the OT, yet you went along with it until you ran out of counterargments. You even said you were through with it yesterday, but you're still responding. Either make up your mind on whether you want to discuss what I'm talking about, ignore my posts, remind me to stay on topic, or report me and move on. But you can't respond to what I said, then later decide it's a problem.

You don't think the Wii U is powerful enough to handle ports of Sony and Microsoft's next consoles. Understood, got it. You might even be right, and if you go back and look at every post I've left in this topic, I've never said otherwise. But I want to take your last sentence and go with that:

"Making a game for multiple consoles costs them time and money and if a dev deems it not worth the hassle well then, thats.. that."

And if a pub deems it worth the hassle, then it will green light a Wii U port. ROI will be the biggest deciding factor of whether the WIi U is worth it more than any amount of RAM. That's why we saw inferior versions of COD, Madden, Guitar Hero and the like releasing for the Wii every year. Those games were profitable.

TL:DR - 720 won't decide if Wii U RAM is enough. Consumers will decide by showing whether they're willing to buy third party games and show there is a decent enough market for them on a Nintendo console.

burninmylight said:
Captain_Tom said:
Zero999 said:
hinch said:
burninmylight said:

I missed the part where Zero999 said they looked worse. You position yourself as a technical know-it-all, so I figure you would know that graphics aren't the only factor that goes into the quality of a port. Perhaps he's referring to the framerate, load times and input responsiveness on how those games run? Like I said at the bottom of my last post, Tony Hawk's Project 8 came out for PS2 and PS3, but played like crap on the more powerful console.

Yeah the 8th Tony Hawk game isn't a cherry picked example.  Good point!