By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - 720 will Decide if WiiU RAM is enough.

there are several subgroups of gamers so i don't care about ill used and abused terminology.

"Too bad for their fanbase who has to now buy another console because..."

too bad for them, they must buy gaming PC for playing multiplatform games in acceptable quality, proper RTS and Flight Simulators, XBOX for Halo and even Playstation for some Japanese games too bad.

"Nintendos constant arroange which never ends." and i hope so, you know Fortune favours the bold.

"Nintendo has made strides for third party titles despite what you're saying" well they probably know what kind of hardware Epic required for UE4, in case of 7th generation, there was no option unless they were crazy enough to join bleeding party with Microsoft and Sony.

"Nintendo hasn't been that successful in a while." well success is extremely relative, if the WiiU became profitable for them with great 1st and 2nd party games then is certainly success.

"The Wii used its gimmick and got a victory that was short lived and only lasted about four years."

whatever you wish but the gimmick known as Wii and DS secured them future and in this case it was well worth.

"This is a miss after their hit with the Wii." too early to tell but if their software became compelling enough, i'm sure the future is bright for them

Around the Network
Captain_Tom said:
FuelledByHatred said:

Nobody on here seems to have considered one thing that could be very important to how games scale. Native Resolution.

NextBox and PS4 are targeting 1080p as native resolution for all games, where as Wii U is targeting 720p Native for it's games.  It is entirely plausible that ports of PS4/Xbox games will be able to run on the Wii U's more modest hardware because games will be less resource intensive when running at lower resolutions, with either more compressed or lower res textures needing significantly less RAM.  It is afterall how most PC games are actually scaled.

My laptop is a perfect example. It is nowhere near the performance of say a high end gaming PC, it has a 1.5Ghz Quadcore AMD, an HD7670M and yes, admittedly 8GB of RAM, however; even when running games i've never used more than 3 GB and that is with a bloated Windows OS running.  I cannot hope to run games at max settings @ 1080p. Witcher 2 for example i get about 12FPS, but if i drop the settings to medium and the resolution to 1366x768p @ 30FPS i get something that looks inferior to max settings but is still a gorgeous looking game to play.  A game that at those settings (and even on low) still looks much better than the Xbox 360 version, running on a laptop whose specs are close to what is inside the Wii U.  In fact in a closed console environment the Wii U probably out performs my laptop games-wise.

So my question is if PC developers can scale games across such a huge divide in technological capabilities then why can't they for the "Next Gen" consoles?

Here are the specs for Metro Last Light http://www.destructoid.com/optimum-metro-last-light-specs-recommend-an-nvidia-titan-251890.phtml Now if 4A can scale across such a massive technological chasm then surely it is not asking too much for scaled ports on Wii U, yes they will be graphically "inferior" but not to the degree that people probably think and it will certainly not be a Wii vs PS3 situation this time round.  On paper the PS4 and Xbox will be 2-3x more powerful than Wii U, yes, but people don't seem to realise that the law of diminshing returns has kicked in for games developers, meaning that 2-3x on paper will not be 2-3x in practice because 1; large increases in computational power are only producing small visual gains and 2; devs (outside of those SONY or MS  funded) are quickly finding that they cannot be profitable with the amount of time, effort and money it takes to make games that will push PS4 and NextBox to the limits.  It gets to the point where things become so detailed that it takes too much time and you would be looking at Disney Pixar sized budgets, which EA and Square-Enix are finding simply not feasible.   

But we won't have to wait long really to begin seeing how things shape up.  The release of Watch Dogs on PS4 and Wii U will be a good barometer as to whether the gap between the two is as big as some are saying.  The ultimate comparison will be when Retro's new game (Metroid) is compared with something like KZ Shadowfall.  Only then will we see just how big this gap will be.

The thing is, you fail to realize is that the Wii U's GPU is less than half the strength of the minimum one, and the PS4's is about on par with the recomended.  In addition to that, 4A games said the Wii U's too slow to handle the game lol.  It's like you are trying to prove yourself wrong!

Haters always seem to catch a good sensationalist story that helps fuel their propaganda, but miss it when another one comes out that debunks the first one.

http://www.vg247.com/2012/12/13/metro-last-light-wii-u-cancellation-not-due-to-horrible-cpu-claims-says-thq-rep/

The game is coming to PS3 and 360, but the Wii U can't handle it. You sincerely believe that those systems can handle it, but the Wii U can't?

Now this is my opinion, but I think the Wii U cancelation had more to do with THQ's financial woes and impending bankruptcy than the console being unable to handle games that the other ones apparently can.

twilight_link said:
there are several subgroups of gamers so i don't care about ill used and abused terminology.

too bad for them, they must buy gaming PC for playing multiplatform games in acceptable quality, proper RTS and Flight Simulators, XBOX for Halo and even Playstation for some Japanese games too bad.

LOL...Yes....let them make it alone for PC with those large budgets and hope for profit. PC gamers must wait to get their seconds because the games are made for console audiences whilst PC gamers get the better version of the product. Not all multiplats go to PC as well. Just remember that.

"Nintendos constant arroange which never ends." and i hope so, you know Fortune favours the bold.

The Wii was indeed bold, but was actually the least used console throughout the gen. So much for utility. Its called a cash grab which is why at E3 all they could talk about was money instead of games until like 2011.

"Nintendo has made strides for third party titles despite what you're saying" well they probably know what kind of hardware Epic required for UE4, in case of 7th generation, there was no option unless they were crazy enough to join bleeding party with Microsoft and Sony.

Its obvious they either didn't know or didn't care. Wait...since when was Nintendo ever in the loop with Epic? Epic games are built for different audiences, sorry to say. Nintendo singled themselves out and now are percieved as something rather that the console that can encompass everything like their competition is going for.

"Nintendo hasn't been that successful in a while." well success is extremely relative, if the WiiU became profitable for them with great 1st and 2nd party games then is certainly success.

The profited, because they keep their consoles cheap. The Wii was a lightening in a bottles chance but it did it and because it was a gimmick the fanfare faded quickly. It was a momentary pleasure console. Nintendo knows they wanrt more for their legacy than that.
"The Wii used its gimmick and got a victory that was short lived and only lasted about four years."

whatever you wish but the gimmick known as Wii and DS secured them future and in this case it was well worth.

The DS isn't a gimmick and their handhelds have always been well taken care of. Thats where Nintendo will continue to gain their third party support on consoles that dont push tech and are cheap with higher profit incentive.

"This is a miss after their hit with the Wii." too early to tell but if their software became compelling enough, i'm sure the future is bright for them

I never worry about Nintendo profiting, as I said they make their products cheap to make sure profits come quicker. Problem is that Nintendo is going to rub people the wrong way who game exclusively to them despite what you might think by warding off the third parties. They have a talent for it.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
RazorDragon said:

Yes. But does that change the fact that if a developer wants it can put a PS4 game onto tablets and smartphones? Because that's exactly one of the features UE4 will provide, even if it's not used. About Nintendo not giving a shit about 3rd parties, that wasn't what 3rds were talking before Wii U released. In fact:

http://www.officialnintendomagazine.co.uk/27673/bioshock-director-excited-about-wii-u/

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/gaming/2011/06/23/valve-interested-in-developing-for-wii-u/1

http://mynintendonews.com/2011/09/25/nintendo-wii-u-thq-say-buying-wii-u-games-is-like-buying-blu-ray-over-a-standard-dvd/

First link: was written in 2011...when no one knew the Wii U's specs.

Second link: hinted that Valve games might get ported and again it was written in 2011 before anyone knew about the specs.

Third link: THQ doesn't know what they are talking about and they haven't realized the potential of many of their franchises save for probably Saints Row (and thats not saying much). THQ doesn't really push tech and their products werent really selling as well as they should which is why they were liquidated. 

Many people were optimistic, until the Wii U launched up until the PS4 unveiling. Lets hope the sales pick up but the Wii U wont get games on principal that they never consulted with third parties about their aspirations for making next gen games. The demands are too high and they stated their case on the specs they needed.

http://www.nowgamer.com/news/1807753/nextgen_will_be_a_substantial_leap_over_the_current_generation_says_epic.html

“What we’re doing on high-end PCs is going to be representative of the future consumer gaming experience and it’s going to be awesome. It’s going to be a substantial leap over the current generation.”

Even with Capcoms new engine theres no way the Wii U is getting the games expected for the next gen consoles. Just look at their new engine running on the PS4. The Wii U is not capable of that

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drGkHlrPuOM

Well, these old articles were exactly my point, as devs still didn't knew that the Wii U would sell as badly as it is now and, therefore, were. THQ didn't pushed tech? Tell that to Metro 2033, which was released in 2011 and is still one of the most demanding PC games in 2013. About 3rd party spec demands, well, what they're doing on current high-end PCs can be scaled back to run on last gen consoles like the PS3 and 360... Anyway, I guess we'll have to wait till the next-gen multiplatforms are released, since this argument seems to be leading nowhere.

burninmylight said:

Haters always seem to catch a good sensationalist story that helps fuel their propaganda, but miss it when another one comes out that debunks the first one.

http://www.vg247.com/2012/12/13/metro-last-light-wii-u-cancellation-not-due-to-horrible-cpu-claims-says-thq-rep/

The game is coming to PS3 and 360, but the Wii U can't handle it. You sincerely believe that those systems can handle it, but the Wii U can't?

Now this is my opinion, but I think the Wii U cancelation had more to do with THQ's financial woes and impending bankruptcy than the console being unable to handle games that the other ones apparently can.

*sigh* If you read the article instead of just the "sensationalist" heading, you'll find that he doesn't actually disprove anything.

“Our look at the Wii U extended to a very early look at some very early kits. We…we did some work on it, but we made a decision fairly early on that we weren’t going to commit further resource to it. So yeah, we didn’t go too far. Take any of the comments you’ve seen attributed with a pinch of salt – it’s certainly not been based on any kind of analysis of final hardware.

Sounds like just the usual PR to me. Damage control at it's finest.

Around the Network
RazorDragon said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
RazorDragon said:

Yes. But does that change the fact that if a developer wants it can put a PS4 game onto tablets and smartphones? Because that's exactly one of the features UE4 will provide, even if it's not used. About Nintendo not giving a shit about 3rd parties, that wasn't what 3rds were talking before Wii U released. In fact:

http://www.officialnintendomagazine.co.uk/27673/bioshock-director-excited-about-wii-u/

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/gaming/2011/06/23/valve-interested-in-developing-for-wii-u/1

http://mynintendonews.com/2011/09/25/nintendo-wii-u-thq-say-buying-wii-u-games-is-like-buying-blu-ray-over-a-standard-dvd/

First link: was written in 2011...when no one knew the Wii U's specs.

Second link: hinted that Valve games might get ported and again it was written in 2011 before anyone knew about the specs.

Third link: THQ doesn't know what they are talking about and they haven't realized the potential of many of their franchises save for probably Saints Row (and thats not saying much). THQ doesn't really push tech and their products werent really selling as well as they should which is why they were liquidated. 

Many people were optimistic, until the Wii U launched up until the PS4 unveiling. Lets hope the sales pick up but the Wii U wont get games on principal that they never consulted with third parties about their aspirations for making next gen games. The demands are too high and they stated their case on the specs they needed.

http://www.nowgamer.com/news/1807753/nextgen_will_be_a_substantial_leap_over_the_current_generation_says_epic.html

“What we’re doing on high-end PCs is going to be representative of the future consumer gaming experience and it’s going to be awesome. It’s going to be a substantial leap over the current generation.”

Even with Capcoms new engine theres no way the Wii U is getting the games expected for the next gen consoles. Just look at their new engine running on the PS4. The Wii U is not capable of that

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drGkHlrPuOM

Well, these old articles were exactly my point, as devs still didn't knew that the Wii U would sell as badly as it is now and, therefore, were. THQ didn't pushed tech? Tell that to Metro 2033, which was released in 2011 and is still one of the most demanding PC games in 2013. About 3rd party spec demands, well, what they're doing on current high-end PCs can be scaled back to run on last gen consoles like the PS3 and 360... Anyway, I guess we'll have to wait till the next-gen multiplatforms are released, since this argument seems to be leading nowhere.

Has nothing to do with whether the Wii U would sell badly or not, they didnt know about the specs. Did the Wii get ports of most of the PS3/360 games to the Wii? Why didnt they get them with their stellar sales? When you make a case for Nintendo in that way realize you're walking on a fine line. 

S.T.A.G.E. said:

twilight_link said:

LOL...Yes....let them make it alone for PC with those large budgets and hope for profit. PC gamers must wait to get their seconds because the games are made for console audiences whilst PC gamers get the better version of the product. Not all multiplats go to PC as well. Just remember that.

The Wii was indeed bold, but was actually the least used console throughout the gen. So much for utility. Its called a cash grab which is why at E3 all they could talk about was money instead of games until like 2011.

Its obvious they either didn't know or didn't care. Wait...since when was Nintendo ever in the loop with Epic? Epic games are built for different audiences, sorry to say. Nintendo singled themselves out and now are percieved as something rather that the console that can encompass everything like their competition is going for.

The profited, because they keep their consoles cheap. The Wii was a lightening in a bottles chance but it did it and because it was a gimmick the fanfare faded quickly. It was a momentary pleasure console. Nintendo knows they wanrt more for their legacy than that.

The DS isn't a gimmick and their handhelds have always been well taken care of. Thats where Nintendo will continue to gain their third party support on consoles that dont push tech and are cheap with higher profit incentive.

I never worry about Nintendo profiting, as I said they make their products cheap to make sure profits come quicker. Problem is that Nintendo is going to rub people the wrong way who game exclusively to them despite what you might think by warding off the third parties. They have a talent for it.

"LOL...Yes....let them make it alone for PC with those large budgets and hope for profit."

FPS, and WRPG in other words most successful games of today originated on PC, the PC can generate multi million sellers, of course the games come later on PC but remember there are many games worth playing in the meantime exclusive to PC.

"The Wii was indeed bold, but was actually the least used console throughout the gen."

Nintendo can produce only so many games and the 3rd party effort was not worth, but the fact is they succeeded with Wii.

"Epic games are built for different audiences, sorry to say."

perhaps but i personally don't care, understand one thing  most of us know nothing about B2B relations, so what happened between them is matter of rumors and speculations.

"Nintendo singled themselves out and now are percieved as something" good for them 3rd platform holder with similar content is nonsense, their philosophy is extremely different.

"The Wii was a lightening in a bottles chance but it did it and because it was a gimmick the fanfare faded quickly." exactly when they stopped to support Wii, it has normal life cycle of most gaming systems.

"Nintendo knows they wanrt more for their legacy than that."

this is certainly up to them and their fans to decide, in my opinion any legacy is better than those build upon CoD and GTA crowd, or the legacy that Sega build.

"The DS isn't a gimmick and their handhelds have always been well taken care of. "

The Wii has very good library of games i can't complain wheter it was gimmick or not is not important

"I never worry about Nintendo profiting, as I said they make their products cheap to make sure profits come quicker. Problem is that Nintendo is going to rub people the wrong way who game exclusively to them despite what you might think by warding off the third parties."

They can't afford to lost billions on hardware build for games no one care about on their platforms, they build hardware for realizing their vision and this is exactly what i'm glad they did this.

hinch said:
burninmylight said:

*sigh* If you read the article instead of just the "sensationalist" heading, you'll find that he doesn't actually disprove anything.

“Our look at the Wii U extended to a very early look at some very early kits. We…we did some work on it, but we made a decision fairly early on that we weren’t going to commit further resource to it. So yeah, we didn’t go too far. Take any of the comments you’ve seen attributed with a pinch of salt – it’s certainly not been based on any kind of analysis of final hardware.

*Sigh* and if you took a moment to think about my point, you would realize I'm not saying the original comments were disproven about the Wii U's CPU being too slow by the article I linked. I'm saying the guy said that's not the reason the game was canceled, and to think the Wii U couldn't handle a game that the PS360 can is just silly. I think it has more to do with THQ's financial troubles at the time and it's eventual death. I just found a dozen articles about THQ canceling its 2014 lineup that were published around the same time as the "horrible, slow CPU" story and its follow up. And as we all know, THQ was liquidated and its assets were auctioned off. Why would it keep projects in development to IPs it's about to sell off?

I knew someone would reply to me saying "PR, damage control" and all that jazz as I was typing the first comment. Doesn't prove or disprove anything, but I think my opinion and reasoning are a bit more grounded in reality than anyone's who thinks Metro: Last Light was canceled because of the Wii U's hardware.

burninmylight said:
hinch said:
burninmylight said:

*Sigh* and if you took a moment to think about my point, you would realize I'm not saying the original comments were disproven about the Wii U's CPU being too slow by the article I linked. I'm saying the guy said that's not the reason the game was canceled, and to think the Wii U couldn't handle a game that the PS360 can is just silly. I think it has more to do with THQ's financial troubles at the time and it's eventual death. I just found a dozen articles about THQ canceling its 2014 lineup that were published around the same time as the "horrible, slow CPU" story and its follow up. And as we all know, THQ was liquidated and its assets were auctioned off. Why would it keep projects in development to IPs it's about to sell off?

I knew someone would reply to me saying "PR, damage control" and all that jazz as I was typing the first comment. Doesn't prove or disprove anything, but I think my opinion and reasoning are a bit more grounded in reality than anyone's who thinks Metro: Last Light was canceled because of the Wii U's hardware.

Well.. quite a few devs have come out and complained about the same thing - the CPU. The whole THQ going down the pan argument has been done to death. Even Nintendo themselves issued a statement about the console. Go check out some comparisons of multiplats.. they all come to the same conclusion. Hell, even a Nintendo published title like Lego City has performance woes and that's a Wii U exclusive.

happydolphin said:
Captain_Tom said:
FuelledByHatred said:

LOL where do I start:

1) My claim in performance is not "bogus."  The Wii U basically has a cut down 6570 with DDR3, that IS half the strength of a GTS 250 at least.  

2) If the Wii U gets "Optimized" performance gains, than so does the GPU in the PS4 making the gap just as wide and your point irrelevent.  

3)No matter how you dice it, EA, 4A, Deep Silver, and other developers and publishers don't think the Wii U's weak specs is worth their time.  Whether its because they are "Lazy," or the Wii U is a console built by drunks is up for debate, but the end result is NO GAMES.

4) I understand what you are saying and it is: ill-informed, naive, and lacks support.  

@bold. The debate in this thread is "can it be done or not", not "would they do it or not". In other words, if someone says that they just don't want to do it because they're lazy, then it's because they've conceded the technical argument and the U side wins the debate. Period.

@4. I don't like how you post. I think his post was informed, reasonable and supported itself. You really do play the mudslinging game and it's unwarranted.

Given enough money you could port Crysis 3 to the PS2.  However that would be financial suicide.  The debate is if the Wii U is close enough to the PS4 to be financially viable to recieve ports.  It is not.  You lose the debate.  Period.