By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Four Rumored Xbox Next Launch Titles

Machiavellian said:
This conversation on the AAA seems to have derailed this thread. I only think King is the person who is saying that a Spin off game Forza Horizon is a AAA game. Who else believe spin off games are considered by gamers, publishers and media as AAA. If we go by budget which is general used to describe a AAA game because of home much resources a publishers put into the game, I am sure its nowhere close to Forza 4.

I am sure even Bungie would not consider remade Halo combat evolved a AAA game just because it has the Halo tag or even Halo ODST since it was a direct spin off with a much smaller team and budget.

Anyway, I believe everyone can agree to disagree with king and leave it at that.

So spin-offs don't quality as AAA games? Great logic there.
Forza Horizon is still.....Forza. It still has cars, it still has races. It doesn't go to an entirely different genre.

Look at a Need For Speed franchise. There are so many. Underground, Most Wanted..etc. None of these are considered "spin-offs". They all sell on the Need For Speed name. They have the budgets, marketing and production values that make it a AAA game.

Around the Network
VGKing said:

Your whole argument is that because Forza Horizon is a spin-off its not AAA.  You're saying because it didn't sell as well as the other Forza games that it's not AAA. You're wrong.

LBP Karting is so far from being a AAA game. It's not even in the same league as Forza Horizon. Why you would even bring that game up I don't even know. 

Here's a definition I found on what makes a AAA game.

A AAA game, or pronounced "triple-A game", is generally a title developed by a large studio, funded by a massive budget.

These games will have a marketing budget in the multiple-millions of dollars, and are planned to earn out in excess of one million titles sold. Investors/publishers expect a multiple-of-cost return on their investment. In order to recoup general development costs, publishers will generally produce the title for the major platforms (currently Xbox 360, PS3, and PC) to maximize profits, unless it is a console exclusive, in which case the console maker will pay for exclusivity to offset the loss of potential profit to the developer.

Now, the racing genre isn't what it used to be, so based on its sales I fully expect that the game sold within expectations and was profitable.

You brought up games like LBP Karting....do you think Sony expected sales in the millions for this? No. 

Oh boy... so anything anticipated to sell a million copies is AAA? That's probably means everything Sony has put out is a AAA game. This isn't helping your argument.

Lets just be done with this. You arguments just get worse and worse.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Mr Puggsly said:
VGKing said:

Your whole argument is that because Forza Horizon is a spin-off its not AAA.  You're saying because it didn't sell as well as the other Forza games that it's not AAA. You're wrong.

LBP Karting is so far from being a AAA game. It's not even in the same league as Forza Horizon. Why you would even bring that game up I don't even know. 

A AAA game, or pronounced "triple-A game", is generally a title developed by a large studio, funded by a massive budget.

These games will have a marketing budget in the multiple-millions of dollars, and are planned to earn out in excess of one million titles sold. Investors/publishers expect a multiple-of-cost return on their investment. In order to recoup general development costs, publishers will generally produce the title for the major platforms (currently Xbox 360, PS3, and PC) to maximize profits, unless it is a console exclusive, in which case the console maker will pay for exclusivity to offset the loss of potential profit to the developer.

Now, the racing genre isn't what it used to be, so based on its sales I fully expect that the game sold within expectations and was profitable.

You brought up games like LBP Karting....do you think Sony expected sales in the millions for this? No. 

Oh boy... so anything anticipated to sell a million copies is AAA? That's probably means everything Sony has put out is a AAA game. This isn't helping your argument.

Publishers set sales expectations based on budget, popularity and production values. Pre-order data probably helps a lot.

I never said everything Sony puts out is a AAA game. Just because a game can crawl to 1m sales, or because it can be proftiable, it doesn't mean its AAA. Ridiculous. Now you're just being difficult

VGKing said:
Machiavellian said:
This conversation on the AAA seems to have derailed this thread. I only think King is the person who is saying that a Spin off game Forza Horizon is a AAA game. Who else believe spin off games are considered by gamers, publishers and media as AAA. If we go by budget which is general used to describe a AAA game because of home much resources a publishers put into the game, I am sure its nowhere close to Forza 4.

I am sure even Bungie would not consider remade Halo combat evolved a AAA game just because it has the Halo tag or even Halo ODST since it was a direct spin off with a much smaller team and budget.

Anyway, I believe everyone can agree to disagree with king and leave it at that.

Forza Horizon is still.....Forza. It still has cars, it still has races. It doesn't go to an entirely different genre.

Look at a Need For Speed franchise. There are so many. Underground, Most Wanted..etc. None of these are considered "spin-offs". They all sell on the Need For Speed name. They have the budgets, marketing and production values that make it a AAA game.

Can you name me one spin off that was marked as a AAA product.  It seems like you forget that spin offs are done all the time and usaully with a smaller budget and smaller team.  Companies do this because they can reuse assets and code to change up a formula but these games are never considered to sell as many copies as the main one because they do not target the same group.

Here you are saying that Forza Horizon is Still Forza but by you saying that, it appears you haven't played either game.  The whole structure of Horizon is different than the main game and its not marketed as being the same.  It uses the same Name because gamers are brand focused a lot.

There is no spin off of Need for Speed games because they are all the same game.  Now if the developers made a Need for Speed game that was a racing simulation the that would be a spin off of the franchise.

VGKing said:
Mr Puggsly said:
VGKing said:

Publishers set sales expectations based on budget, popularity and production values. Pre-order data probably helps a lot.

I never said everything Sony puts out is a AAA game. Just because a game can crawl to 1m sales, or because it can be proftiable, it doesn't mean its AAA. Ridiculous. Now you're just being difficult

You don't have to say anymore. You already posted the definition of AAA.

Its all so clear now. This discussion is over.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network
Mr Puggsly said:
VGKing said:
Mr Puggsly said:
VGKing said:

You don't have to say anymore. You already posted the definition of AAA.

Its all so clear now. This discussion is over.

Glad you understand.

Machiavellian said:
VGKing said:
Machiavellian said:

Can you name me one spin off that was marked as a AAA product.  It seems like you forget that spin offs are done all the time and usaully with a smaller budget and smaller team.  Companies do this because they can reuse assets and code to change up a formula but these games are never considered to sell as many copies as the main one because they do not target the same group.

Here you are saying that Forza Horizon is Still Forza but by you saying that, it appears you haven't played either game.  The whole structure of Horizon is different than the main game and its not marketed as being the same.  It uses the same Name because gamers are brand focused a lot.

There is no spin off of Need for Speed games because they are all the same game.  Now if the developers made a Need for Speed game that was a racing simulation the that would be a spin off of the franchise.

Key word. SmallER budget. Spin-offs aren't always cheap and many times they end up being just as AAA as the main series.

Examples: Battlefield Bad Company series, Call of Duty Black Ops series.

He posted the definition which proved him wrong and is still going at it LOL

J_Allard said:
He posted the definition which proved him wrong and is still going at it LOL

I lol'd.

Imagine not having GamePass on your console...

007BondAgent said:
ironmanDX said:
JoeTheBro said:
Why would we need two racing games at launch? Forza or PGR alone could go head to head with driveclub so this doesn't make much sense. If I was in charge I'd push one of them back to compete with GT6.

Alan Wake 2 will be great and could possibly be a graphics whore game to show off the system's power. I bet the epic game will be multiplat so that's why AW should look better.

They'll save Forza for GT6.

that's like saying killzone will compete with halo

anyways pretty decent list, although it lacks a jrpg :(

Your right GT6 would crush Forza (in terms of sales) while Halo would crush Killzone (in terms of sales).