By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS3 made the greatest comeback ever.

Tagged games:

PS3 made the greatest comeback ever

Agree 471 71.04%

Disagree 192 28.96%

Total:663
Laurel Aitken said:
It was a great comeback. But fact is, that slow start will affect Sony almost forever. Case in point, in the USA and UK Xbox is now the standard for gaming. Ms willmhave the best launch on those two territories.

Sony did great after such a weak start. Now they have to do better to be on par (saleswise) with MS.

things change from gen to gen

Around the Network

I was gonna agree until I checked my mental Rolodex and found this

Console wars
Main article: Console wars
The Mega Drive initially competed against the aging 8-bit NES, over which it had superior graphics and sound. The Mega Drive met a lukewarm reception in Japan, where the 16-bit PC Engine had already established a strong foothold by the time of the Mega Drive's launch. Despite some positive coverage from magazines Famitsu and Beep!, Sega only managed to ship 400,000 units in the first year.[30] In order to increase sales, Sega released various peripherals and games,[30] including an online banking system and answering machine called the Sega Mega Anser.[46] Despite this, the Mega Drive remained a distant third in Japan behind Nintendo's Super Famicom and NEC's PC-Engine throughout the 16-bit era.[47]
For the North American market, new Sega of America CEO Michael Katz instituted a two-part approach to build sales in the region. The first part involved a marketing campaign to challenge Nintendo head-on and emphasize the more arcade-like experience available on the Genesis,[48] summarized by the slogans "Gotta get Genesis"[49] and "Genesis does what Nintendon't".[50] Since Nintendo owned the console rights to most arcade games of the time, the second part involved creating a library of instantly-recognizable titles which used the names and likenesses of celebrities and athletes such as Pat Riley Basketball, Arnold Palmer Tournament Golf, James 'Buster' Douglas Knockout Boxing, Joe Montana Football, Tommy Lasorda Baseball, Mario Lemieux Hockey and Michael Jackson's Moonwalker.[51] Nonetheless, it had a hard time overcoming Nintendo's ubiquitous presence in the consumer's home.[52]

A typical in-game screen shot of Sonic the Hedgehog, taken from its first level, Green Hill Zone.
In mid-1990, Sega CEO Hayao Nakayama hired Tom Kalinske to replace Katz as CEO of Sega of America. Although Kalinske initially knew little about the video game market, he surrounded himself with industry-savvy advisors. A believer in the razor and blades business model, he developed a four-point plan: cut the price of the console; create a US-based team to develop games targeted at the American market; continue and expand the aggressive advertising campaigns; and replace the bundled game, Altered Beast, with a new title, Sonic the Hedgehog.[52] The Japanese board of directors initially disapproved of the plan[53] but all four points were approved by Nakayama. Magazines praised Sonic as one of the greatest games yet made and Sega's console finally took off as customers who had been waiting for the SNES decided to purchase a Genesis instead.[52] Nintendo's console debuted against an established competitor, while NEC's TurboGrafx-16 failed to gain traction and NEC soon pulled out of the market.[54]
Due to the Genesis' head start, much larger library of games, and lower price point,[55] it was able to secure an estimated 60% of the American 16-bit console market by June 1992.[56] Sega's advertising continued to position the Genesis as the "cooler" console,[55] and at one point in its campaign, it used the term "blast processing" (the origin of which is an obscure programming trick on the console's graphics hardware[57]) to suggest that the processing capabilities of the Genesis were far greater than those of the SNES.[58] A Sony focus group found that teenage boys would not admit to owning a Super NES rather than a Genesis.[59] Neither console could maintain a definitive lead in market share for several years, with Nintendo's share of the 16-bit machine business dipping down from 60% at the end of 1992 to 37% at the end of 1993,[60] Sega accounting for 55% of all 16-bit hardware sales during 1994,[61] and Donkey Kong Country paving the way for the Super NES to win a handful of the waning years of the 16-bit generation.[22][62][63] According to a 2004 study of NPD sales data, the Sega Genesis was able to maintain its lead over the Super NES in the American 16-bit console market.[64]
In Europe the Mega Drive maintained support until 1998,[31] where it managed to sell 8 million units,[6] outselling all other consoles up through that time.[31] The Mega Drive also saw success in Brazil, where it held 75% of the market share.[31]

ironmanDX said:

thismeintiel said:

Laurel Aitken said:
It was a great comeback. But fact is, that slow start will affect Sony almost forever. Case in point, in the USA and UK Xbox is now the standard for gaming. Ms willmhave the best launch on those two territories.

Sony did great after such a weak start. Now they have to do better to be on par (saleswise) with MS.

Just like the PS2 was the standard the gen before?  Things change from gen to gen.  The only things that you can really count on is that the PS4 will take Japan and, most likely, EU overall.

You say that things change gen on gen about his comment on UK and USA then turn around to say that the ps4 will take Japan and Europe..... You contradict yourself. Good job by Sony in the last few years to recapture some of the market share that it lost.

That's because those are pretty much a given.  Sony has been pretty dominant in those regions for 3 gens running.  Even with how huge the Wii was, the PS3 is going to pass it in EU (maybe this year) and come pretty close to it in Japan.  And considering how those regions are reacting to the Wii U and how Sony seems to be playing every card right so far, I doubt this next gen will be any different.  Of course, the US is the most unpredictable.  That's anyone's game, hence my comment.

I think you mean only comeback ever. Amiright?

snyps said:
"Informative stuff"

Gah. So SEGA was the one who started all this Nintendo is kiddehs stuff in America?

Herp de derps.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/profile/92109/nintendopie/ Nintendopie  Was obviously right and I was obviously wrong. I will forever be a lesser being than them. (6/16/13)

Around the Network
thismeintiel said:
ironmanDX said:

thismeintiel said:

Laurel Aitken said:

Just like the PS2 was the standard the gen before?  Things change from gen to gen.  The only things that you can really count on is that the PS4 will take Japan and, most likely, EU overall.

You say that things change gen on gen about his comment on UK and USA then turn around to say that the ps4 will take Japan and Europe..... You contradict yourself. Good job by Sony in the last few years to recapture some of the market share that it lost.

That's because those are pretty much a given.  Sony has been pretty dominant in those regions for 3 gens running.  Even with how huge the Wii was, the PS3 is going to pass it in EU (maybe this year) and come pretty close to it in Japan.  And considering how those regions are reacting to the Wii U and how Sony seems to be playing every card right so far, I doubt this next gen will be any different.  Of course, the US is the most unpredictable.  That's anyone's game, hence my comment.

Things change from gen to gen.

Jay520 said:
Nope. Here is the greatest comeback ever:

Not to mention the comeback actually resulted in a win.

I remember that game XD  T-Mac is amazing.  

Sony sacrificed billions and billions of dollars for that comeback. And they haven't become the market leader they once were... so what comeback?

I'd argue they bought staying relevant after making some massive mistakes and chasing away much of their PS2 userbase.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

thismeintiel said:
ironmanDX said:

thismeintiel said:

Laurel Aitken said:

That's because those are pretty much a given.  Sony has been dominant in those regions for 3 gens running.  Even with how huge the Wii was, the PS3 is most likely going to pass it in EU and come pretty close to it in Japan.  And considering how those regions are reacting to the Wii U and how Sony seems to be playing every card right so far, I doubt this next gen will be any different.  Of course, the US is the most unpredictable.  That's anyone's game, hence my comment.

Regarding Japan it's two gens running; PS3 was not dominant over the Wii. And even with WiiU's current abysmal sales it's quite premature to suggest that the PS4 has Japan in the bag already. It'll certainly come down to software that appeals to the Japanese market because as far as hardware is concerned, WiiU's efficient and pseudo-handheld design is tailor-made for that region whereas the PS4's expensive, cutting-edge tech is not.

People tend to forget how much money Sony lost to make a good comeback in marketshare.

If Sony has to keep losing money to march it's way to 1st place every gen, so be it. If I were Nintendo, I would just keep selling their consoles at a profit and settle for any place, and just wait until Sony runs out of money and buildings to sell. They'll literally destroy themselves.