By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS3 made the greatest comeback ever.

Tagged games:

PS3 made the greatest comeback ever

Agree 471 71.04%

Disagree 192 28.96%

Total:663

Was the comeback profitable? I don't know, but it sure as hell was impressive.

I remember laughing at the thought of buying a PS3 early on. It's insane to me that it turned out to be the best console of the generation easily. Sony did something great.

The 3DS has also had a great comeback, but I would argue that the 3DS pre-comeback state was nowhere near as bad as the PS3's pre-comeback state.

Whoever orchestrated the PS3 rebirth, Nintendo needs to hire.

Around the Network

LOL no.

1. The "comeback" is not even done yet. And what are they coming back to? They'll be 2nd place.

2. The "comeback" cost them billions of dollars and they lost a ton of market share even after they take 2nd place.

3. The Nintendo comeback from GCN to Wii craps all over this.

That Sega tidbit above is interesting as well. I was not even aware the Genesis actually won that generation. Also, "8GB GDDR5" is the new blast processing.

No way.

It is impressive, but not a comeback. The PS1 and PS2 were huge mass market and core hits and then Sony screwed up. If almost all games were exclusive to PS3 and it had sold double the competition then I'd agree. As is it's not even half the console the PS2 was.

The comeback was pretty good. But the comeback did not accelerate the sales to PS1 and PS2 sales rate. But at least the comback helped them make money from their massive losses at first. But how much money they make is irrelevant so idk why we are bringing it up.

Roar_Of_War said:

People tend to forget how much money Sony lost to make a good comeback in marketshare.

If Sony has to keep losing money to march it's way to 1st place every gen, so be it. If I were Nintendo, I would just keep selling their consoles at a profit and settle for any place, and just wait until Sony runs out of money and buildings to sell. They'll literally destroy themselves.

Isn't that exactly what Sony have done with the Vita? Bad sales but at least they make a profit on every sale. It looks like they have learnt from the PS3.

PSN: Osc89

NNID: Oscar89

Around the Network

Did anyone really think that the PS3 wouldn't finish first?

Yep, its crazy a system that was called dead will go on to sell 90-100m

If we talk about videogames the greatest comeback had Nintendo with Wii coming from GC. Also after all the doom and gloom about 3DS in its first year they had a bigger comeback, it already outsold PS3 in Japan and in 2 years it already sold nearly half of what PS3 did in 7 years. So I disagree, especially considering that 3rd parties heavily supported the PS3 from the get go and got saved by X360 beeing its "twin" if not the software situation would have looked different in the first years.

Yes the way they started the generation with almost universal bad press, and arrogance they sure made hell lot of a comeback. Sony had to rectify and shed that arrogant image and yes that cost money. but for a change it surprises me how a cheaper xbox released one year ahead went from market leader to probably 3rd in the generation, which imo is a bigger talking point than PS3's comeback

The way I see it, Sony did not come back.  From reports, the PS3 cost Sony all the profits from the PS1 and 2 so I higly doubt that Sony will see this as a come back.  Sonly lost the US.  MS has taken the US and at least one major terrority in the UK.  WIth the US being one of the biggest game buying market, thats a huge lost. 

The only thing Sony has gained is maybe the worldwide total but its a hollow victory if your console bleed you money for so long that as far as profits wise, its lost you a lot of ground and put your company in the red.

As far as I know, Sony sells in more markets than MS especially in Europe so its easy to see them sell more there.  Of course MS has no market in Japan which is a huge different in the global total sell.

Maybe history will have the PS3 comback but then again if the person writing the history is balance, it probably would show the cost of winning can be steep.