By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - whats the most emotional game you ever played?

There's quite a few to list so I'll stick to the most emotional:

Mass Effect trilogy (especially 2 & 3)- The character development in these games was just superb. In the first two you really develop attachments to the characters to the point where there's an immensely depressing (in a semi-good way) feeling of dread by the final game. You genuinely want these characters to survive.

Half-Life 2 (especially episode 2)- The cast of characters surrounding Gordon Freeman are so well fleshed out down to the smallest nuances that when events do befall them, you can't help but feel for them.

Metal Gear Solid 3 & 4- The endings, that's all I'm going to say.

Final Fantasy VII- As the first full-blown RPG I played back when I was only 14 years old, the entire story just sucked me in and the death of a main playable character came as a complete shock.

The Walking Dead game- Every episode had its moments and the desire to protect Clementine just seemed to grow with each one.

Shadow of the Colossus- This just needs to be played and experienced. There's not really anything else like it.

Around the Network
Badassbab said:
It depends really by in what way you mean emotional. I've played games with very little story but they've been so magical that I felt sad when I completed the game as I wanted it to go on forever.

For me such a game would be Super Mario World and Mario 64.

that isnt an emotional game. i would define emotional game as a game that deliberately triggers human emotion. what you described is your sadness that a really good game ended, that isnt triggerd by the game but by your realization that the game you enjoy so much is over.  you didnt feel sad by what is happening at the ending for example but by the fact that it ended. 

mario64 is by no way emotional. dont get me wrong its one of my favorite games of all time, but its pure fun. it doesnt trigger any emotions execpt for happiness but thats only because you are having so much fun in it, but i think in order for a game to be emotionall it needs to get in touch with more than one emotion. it should make the player feel a lot of different things at the same time, whether its sadness, happiness, fear, confusion, disgust or regret, i certainly felt all of those while playing heavy rain, but i never felt them during crash bandicoot or mario or uncharted for example

never honestly played a game that made feel sad

WII U // PC // 3ds XL // VITA

The amount of spoilers in this thread is GIVING ME CANCER D:

For me, there are quite a few games that have done that.

-Mass Effect (the first one really, #2 was a little emotional, 3, the ending ruined what was turning out to be a killer in the last of the series).
-KoTOR
-Dreamfall: The Longest Journey
-Dragon Age: Origins
-Vampire; The Masquerade-Bloodlines
-Baldur's Gate
-Neverwinter Nights
But this one game really stands out, "Planescape: Torment"

Around the Network

Shadow of the Colossus. The colossi always had a melancholy look and even though I knew why I was fighting them, it always niggled at me as to did they deserve it. The main character almost came across as selfish in his determination to bring back the dead, almost as if he was satisfied to sacrifice 16 lives for 1.

It was a unique game that let you interpret it in your own way thanks to little story exposition and wonderful character design. Haunting is a good word id use when remembering this game.

Jim6860 said:

For me, there are quite a few games that have done that.

-Mass Effect (the first one really, #2 was a little emotional, 3, the ending ruined what was turning out to be a killer in the last of the series).
-KoTOR
-Dreamfall: The Longest Journey
-Dragon Age: Origins
-Vampire; The Masquerade-Bloodlines
-Baldur's Gate
-Neverwinter Nights
But this one game really stands out, "Planescape: Torment"

You're such a RPG lover. Man, you've mentioned Baldur's Gate. That was probably one of the first games I've ever played, back when I was a very little kid. (It was Shadows of Amn, though). Kotor is another exemplary game you've listed there.

Actually you've listed all exemplary games. I've always thought Dragon Age was a tribute to Baldur/Neverwinter games. (And yes, I know they're from Bioware).

aaaaaaaaaaa

"I showed them total warfare. Like i said, there's a lot you can learn from old books."- Caesar New Vegas

Heavy Rain, Ico and Shadow of the Colossus were the emotionalst games i have evry played.

Wright said:
The amount of spoilers in this thread is GIVING ME CANCER D:

im just reading the game people mention, if they name i game i play i continue reading. if they dont then i stop immediatly