By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo shutting down Wii channels and online services

theRepublic said:
Damn, that sucks. This is the kind of thing that worries me about digital distribution. When it is just a service, it can disappear at any time.

I am going to miss the Nintendo Channel the most. I liked the thing that kept a running track of all your playtime for your games.

Same here. I used the Nintendo Channel with some regularity. All the ohters were nice but I did not used at all.

Around the Network
amp316 said:
How will I go on in life without The Everybody Votes Channel?

Hold a vote and see how people choose for your to go on.

oniyide said:
theRepublic said:
oniyide said:
superchunk said:

No. I meant what I said. WiiU does not have acces to Wii Shop content directly. You have to go through Wii mode to get to it. Thus, they won't be shutting off Wii's Shop any time soon.

well how is that really different in the long run?

For Nintendo to be able to shut down the Wii Shop, they are going to need to transfer everything there over to the Wii U shop first.  It sounds easy, but there are some issues there.  Nintendo is in the process of making the VC games playable on the Wii U.  Right now they only run in Wii mode.  The emulators and games all need to be changed to run natively on the Wii U.  Then there is the question of what to do with the WiiWare games.  Those will probably only ever run in Wii mode, but maybe they can have their own section of the Wii U store.  I don't know how that will work though.

oh i know how hard it is, SOny just started putting PS1 classics on Vita and who knows how long it will take to get PS2 games there if at all. Im not holding this against Ninty at all I know its a hard process

Just thought of something else too.  The Wii U Transfer Tool has to be downloaded from the Wii Shop.  So I don't know how they are ever* going to be able to shut down the Wii Shop unless they come up with some other solution to get the Transfer Tool.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)