By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo shutting down Wii channels and online services

kitler53 said:
seems a bit pre-mature but eh, i never used them and i doubt anyone else did either.

With the exception of the Nintendo channel these are all rarely used.  The Nintendo Channel was a really cool thing back in the day with that cheesy weekly show & all.

Around the Network
chris_wing said:
kitler53 said:
seems a bit pre-mature but eh, i never used them and i doubt anyone else did either.

With the exception of the Nintendo channel these are all rarely used.  The Nintendo Channel was a really cool thing back in the day with that cheesy weekly show & all.

That woman on the 3DS show is hot!

chris_wing said:
oniyide said:
superchunk said:
They have to leave shop channel open.

why?

-To sell games; all Wiiware & VC is also compatable with the Wii U in Wii mode.

-It is home to important software fixes, like the Skyward Sword save file fixer.

-It is the only way to get the Netflix, Youtube, Hulu+ or Amazon Instant video streaming apps.

that still doesnt answer my question they dont have to leave it open, they can shut it down if they want. Does the Wii U not have the entire WiiWare and VC library on its network? And if they dont how does one transfer their games from Wii to Wii U? is it on a flash drive, what about data that is not transferable to that? Im asking cause i really dont know.

Is the SS update really on the store? I have the game but i never reached the part where it became an issue. Fair enough on the apps, but wouldnt most people have that stuff by now? Wouldnt they just use it on another device? 

oniyide said:
chris_wing said:
oniyide said:
superchunk said:

why?

-It is home to important software fixes, like the Skyward Sword save file fixer.

-It is the only way to get the Netflix, Youtube, Hulu+ or Amazon Instant video streaming apps.

that still doesnt answer my question they dont have to leave it open, they can shut it down if they want. Does the Wii U not have the entire WiiWare and VC library on its network? And if they dont how does one transfer their games from Wii to Wii U? is it on a flash drive, what about data that is not transferable to that? Im asking cause i really dont know.

Is the SS update really on the store? I have the game but i never reached the part where it became an issue. Fair enough on the apps, but wouldnt most people have that stuff by now? Wouldnt they just use it on another device? 

And what about the people that doesn't have the WiiU and only the Wii? Do they have to buy the WiiU just to play WiiWare and VC stuff..... not a good idea.

Castlevania Judgment FC:     1161 - 3389 - 1512

3DS Friend Code:   3480-2746-6289

Wii Friend Code: 4268-9719-1932-3069

oniyide said:
chris_wing said:
oniyide said:
superchunk said:

why?

You can access the Wii Shop channel through the Wii channel on the Wii U.  The Wii U eshop is completely separate and different.  If you log onto the Wii Shop channel on the Wii U then you still see everything that is on the Wii Shop channel on the Wii.  I had to re download about 20-30 games because they wouldn't transfer over to the Wii System memory on the Wii U (same space that was available on the Wii is set aside for the Wii Channel on Wii U).  So I could only transfer the amount of space located to the Wii (I couldn't just bring them all over on a SD card).  The SD card channel is present on the Wii U (Wii home channel) so after doing the initial transfer you go onto the Wii shop and download all the games onto a SD card to play through the SD card channel.

Around the Network
oniyide said:
chris_wing said:
oniyide said:
superchunk said:

why?

Sure they could shut it down if they wanted, Nintendo could also stop making video games if they wanted.  The thing is, even though sales on the Wii Shop Channel are surely no more then a trickle at this point, they are still moving.  That new game Retro City Rampage just released for WiiWare and moved a few thousand copies, I think that alone shows that people are still willing to use the service.

I'm not sure about the overlap between VC games that are available on both Wii & Wii U, but I'm almost positive the Wii still has many more games available.  I think WiiWare is only available on Wii (or in Wii mode on a Wii U), meaning the Wii Shop Channle is the only place to get the few gems on the service.

The apps, yes people who will use them already have them, mostly, but if the Wii's memory needs to be reformated or if the channel becomes corrupted you need the Shop Channel to redownload it.  The Wii is actually a great little video streaming device for smaller TV's & shouldn't be tossed just because it's old.

sethnintendo said:
chris_wing said:
kitler53 said:

That woman on the 3DS show is hot!

They cancelled the 3DS show.  I don't know why but they announced it during the last show.

I used to use Everybody Votes daily!

Click this button, you know you want to!  [Subscribe]

Watch me on YouTube!

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheRadishBros

~~~~ Mario Kart 8 drove far past my expectations! Never again will I doubt the wheels of a Monster Franchise! :0 ~~~~

Too bad about this news but I guess it was expected. I really liked the Nintendo and Forecast channels and checked them regularly. I don't care about the Nintendo Channel anymore, although there is counted the amount of time you have played each of your games and some other data. I'd prefer if the forecast channel was kept, I really like it =(

The Mii Contest Channel was very fun but I barely used it. The Shop Channel is a must to keep, would be an idiot move if not.

Castlevania Judgment FC:     1161 - 3389 - 1512

3DS Friend Code:   3480-2746-6289

Wii Friend Code: 4268-9719-1932-3069

Damn you EA!!

..oh, wait

“It appeared that there had even been demonstrations to thank Big Brother for raising the chocolate ration to twenty grams a week. And only yesterday, he reflected, it had been announced that the ration was to be reduced to twenty grams a week. Was it possible that they could swallow that, after only twenty-four hours? Yes, they swallowed it.”

- George Orwell, ‘1984’