By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Dark Souls sold 2,367,000 copies, 360 version of Dark Souls 2 will get Japanese release.

Tagged games:

From Gpara.com

DARK SOULS SOLD 2,367,000 COPIES, 360 VERSION OF DARK SOULS 2 WILL GET JAPANESE RELEASE.

[Be warned of horrible translation]

"PS3 version only in Japan, the Xbox 360 version and the PS3 version will be released in the overseas "DARK SOULS". Incorporate additional elements for "DARK SOULS with ARTORIAS OF THE ABYSS EDITION", the PC version and PS3 version in Japan, PS3 version, 360 version Xbox, PC version was released, respectively, in foreign countries. In total unit sales of all of these. It's that has reached 2.36 million 7,000."

"By the way Date of this work, with respect to price, and things will be announced anew game trade fair to be held in June in the "E3 2013" or later. Such as information about the user experience meeting also likely be revealed in the timing. "

Just for comparison purposes, Demon's Souls sold alone in the PS3 version over 1.70 million units. Dark Souls sold - according to Vgchartz - 1.45 millions in Ps3, and 700k units in the Xbox 360. That would mean they both sold 2.15 million units. So if they've reached 2.36 million, that would mean PC version sold 210k units. The difference between Demon and Dark Souls games is over 650k units.

EDIT: Apparently, the PC version has sold over 300k units. Consoles are a bit overtracked, but not by a big margin.

Around the Network

Wasn't there information that the PC version had 300k downloads?

It sold over 300K units for PC downloads. Which would mean VGC overtracked the other consoles, bit not by much.

http://www.shacknews.com/article/78672/dark-souls-pc-was-half-assed-but-dark-souls-2?

A fan petition successfully convinced publisher Namco Bandai and developer From Software to bring Dark Souls to PC. Unfortunately, the final product wasn't particularly polished, with From admitting they were having a "tough time" making the transition from console to PC development. The end result was a direct port that required user-created mods to live up to PC standards.

"A lot of it was not very well done, sort of half-assed," Dark Souls 2 director Yui Tanimura told Shacknews via translator (Tak Miyazoe), while promising a much better experience for the sequel.

"Yes, we will definitely put more priority on the PC. Last time, we started working on PC after the console version was complete," Tanimura explained. "This time, because we are considering the PC from the beginning, you can be sure there will be more care put into PC development."

Whereas the PC version of Dark Souls came out months after the console versions, Dark Souls 2 will launch simultaneously on all platforms. The hands-off demo of Dark Souls 2 that we saw was also running on PC hardware, as well.

This should come as good news to PC fans of the franchise disappointed by the lackluster port of the first game. That release sold "over 300,000 downloads on PC," according to Namco Bandai VP Carlson Choi. Figures like those likely made it incredibly easy for Namco to consider

not bad at all. They need to put that guy on wiiu as well.

Mad55 said:

So it can bomb and publishers have more of a reason to not support the Wii U? No, that's not what the Wii U needs.

If I were a Wii U owner I wouldn't want every Ps360 game to come to the Wii U. I would only want the games that would be a clear financial success so others would see it's a viable platform for their games.

Dark Soul's fanbase is on the Ps360 right now. Wii U only owners would have little incentive to pick up the game being they didn't play the first. This game is a moderate success for a niche title. The title most likely wouldn't sell well with the user base and demographics combination.

The games I would want are the new IP's that don't have a fanbase yet (watch dogs). I would want huge games that guarentee millions of sales no matter what (CoD & GTA). When those games penetrate the Wii U market and the user base starts buying those that's when you will see a stronger 3rd party support. But until then if niche games like this release and recieve poor sales it will scare off 3rd party

Around the Network
Max King of the Wild said:
Mad55 said:

So it can bomb and publishers have more of a reason to not support the Wii U? No, that's not what the Wii U needs.

If I were a Wii U owner I wouldn't want every Ps360 game to come to the Wii U. I would only want the games that would be a clear financial success so others would see it's a viable platform for their games.

Dark Soul's fanbase is on the Ps360 right now. Wii U only owners would have little incentive to pick up the game being they didn't play the first. This game is a moderate success for a niche title. The title most likely wouldn't sell well with the user base and demographics combination.

The games I would want are the new IP's that don't have a fanbase yet (watch dogs). I would want huge games that guarentee millions of sales no matter what (CoD & GTA). When those games penetrate the Wii U market and the user base starts buying those that's when you will see a stronger 3rd party support. But until then if niche games like this release and recieve poor sales it will scare off 3rd party

Well the dark souls fanbase was only on ps3 at one point with demon souls the fanbase can expand. i want old and new franchises for the wiiu anynew game can help if its released at the same time as the other versions. Not trying to turn this into anything though.  also Dark souls is no longer niche it sold 2 million copies its a pretty popular franchise. 

Mad55 said:
Mad55 said:

Well the dark souls fanbase was only on ps3 at one point with demon souls the fanbase can expand. i want old and new franchises for the wiiu anynew game can help if its released at the same time as the other versions. Not trying to turn this into anything though.  also Dark souls is no longer niche it sold 2 million copies its a pretty popular franchise. 

1 game selling 2.4mil on 3 systems doesn't constitute as pretty popular. I bet DS2 sees drop in sales. As for the fanbase being on Ps3 there are two things. 1: this game wasn't called Demon's Souls 2 for a reason. 2: it doubled 360's sales.

So in conclusion, if this were to release on the Wii U I could see 360's sales doubling the Wii U's sales on top of already sales drop. So something like 250-300k sales for the Wii U. Trust me that would scare 3rd parties off. If there are more games like that then there are successes then the only examples companies would be seeing are the flops.

Mad55 said:
Mad55 said:

1 game selling 2.4mil on 3 systems doesn't constitute as pretty popular. I bet DS2 sees drop in sales. As for the fanbase being on Ps3 there are two things. 1: this game wasn't called Demon's Souls 2 for a reason. 2: it doubled 360's sales.

So in conclusion, if this were to release on the Wii U I could see 360's sales doubling the Wii U's sales on top of already sales drop. So something like 250-300k sales for the Wii U. Trust me that would scare 3rd parties off. If there are more games like that then there are successes then the only examples companies would be seeing are the flops.

i think the sales will increase honestly and the wiiu version selling 300k on top of what the other versions will sell would be pretty good. If you dont think its pretty popular why would it scare off third party. Call of duty bombing on wiiu would scare them not something you dont consider pretty popular. 

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=148170&page=1

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

NiKKoM said:
http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=148170&page=1

how's that relevant? It's like a 6 month old thread. On sort of same topic but not really.

And anyways It sold 35% more by going multiplatform. And that will probably increase as the margins increased since that thread.