By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo confident that Wii third party sales will change for the better

With how the Wii is selling, and the relatively small development costs of Wii games, many third party publishers are going to be willing to take greater and greater risks in the scale, content, and quantity of games that they produce for the Wii. Certainly, we are not going to see the biggest or the best third party projects on the Wii immediately, but as more third party publishers produce better games and see increased sales more third party publishers will put greater resources towards Wii development.

Around the Network
Desroko said:
Jandre002 said:
I dunno dawg. I dont think the Wii fanbase is the type to go out and buy anything that isnt fun on the Wii. Some will, nintendo fanboys will. Other than that, Wii Sports it is. Maybe SSBB will set a sales record and shut me up

http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=8864&Itemid=2&limit=1&limitstart=0

That is a really great find.

Mars said:
Nice dreams, their game does 17 million a 3rd party does barely over 1 million.

Thats a gap that is not getting any smaller. Between nintendo fanboys who have never bought many games especially 3rd party and casual soccer mons who see NINTENDO Wii and pick up a Nintendo Game (aka wii sports) Wii simply lacks people that are open to all other kinds of games especially 3rd party.

It will never improve much, no matter how the user base grows.

I was on the "3rd Party for Wii Band Wagon", but give the elloquence of your post, your range of supporting facts and the overwhelmingly logical manner in which you presented it all, i have now seen the error of my ways and feel ashamed on my own naivety. 

ioi just reported in a different post that "No More Heroes" sold 33k in the first week of NA. Take it as you may for the future of Wii software...

I'm just saying...

I think the best nintendo games are 1st/2nd parties but 3rd parties are catching up.

Around the Network
Sqrl said:
fkusumot said:
Sqrl said:

I'll have to leave it up to fkusumot to tell me how far away from acceptance we are.

• Denial (Wii Fit will bomb!)
  • Anger (I blame Wii Fit!)
  • Bargaining (Please God, I'll do anything if you make it go away.)
  • Depression (I don't care about Wii Fit. Let it destroy gaming. I'm starting a new hobby.)
  • Acceptance (I, for one, accept our new Wii Fit overlords.)

It seems like different people are at different stages but if I am interpreting this properly this means we are almost officially beyond denial accross the board. We've been seeing anger for a while and bargaining has been around for a bit as well..I think Leo was the first to hit depression and we have a few that actually seemed to skip depression and go straight to acceptance. Interesting....

Close. Rocketpig has stated that Wii Fit will not sell more than 7 million WW (or maybe 8?). He might be revising that shortly. As for the stages of grief, not everyone goes through all of them, and not always in the same order. The above progression is what is seen in the majority of cases (the norm).

Soriku said:
http://gonintendo.com/?p=34406#comments

Nintendo confident that Wii third party sales will change for the better

“When we develop new hardware at Nintendo, we do so as a collaboration between the hardware development teams and the software development teams. Our software sales percentage is currently high because our internal teams teams know the Wii’s special characteristics best, and they started development quite a bit before the Wii’s release.However, we believe that eventually that will change If you look at the data for our third quarter you’ll see that, out of the 14 Wii titles that shipped over a million units, 11 of those were our titles. However, if you look at the 50 titles that shipped over a million units on DS, only 28 of those are ours. We identified the same thing in the DS’ first period, and the situation continues to change little by little. For the Wii too, we believe that as time passes, the proportion of high-selling titles that come from our licensees will increase.” - Nintendo meeting transcript

I just don’t know how long third parties are willing to hold onto the hope that their game sales will pick up. There are some third parties with excellent Wii software that just doesn’t sell.

Link

I dunno, I can't think of any besides Zack and Wiki..

fkusumot said:
Sqrl said:
fkusumot said:
Sqrl said:

I'll have to leave it up to fkusumot to tell me how far away from acceptance we are.

• Depression (I don't care about Wii Fit. Let it destroy gaming. I'm starting a new hobby.)

It seems like different people are at different stages but if I am interpreting this properly this means we are almost officially beyond denial accross the board. We've been seeing anger for a while and bargaining has been around for a bit as well..I think Leo was the first to hit depression and we have a few that actually seemed to skip depression and go straight to acceptance. Interesting....

Close. Rocketpig has stated that Wii Fit will not sell more than 7 million WW (or maybe 8?). He might be revising that shortly. As for the stages of grief, not everyone goes through all of them, and not always in the same order. The above progression is what is seen in the majority of cases (the norm).

Aaah that explains a lot. I once lost my favorite hat and I was stuck in denial for like 2 hours looking for it. Then I got angry that I lost it for a while. But I was confused because I skipped bargaining and was depressed for the rest of the night..in the morning I accepted that it was gone and bought a new one. Luckily I still have my new hat.

Now that I know different people go through the stages differently I understand why I skipped bargaining...before I just thought it was because there was nobody to bargain with...of course maybe I am just forgetting and I said something like "please god help me find my hat and I will stop kicking puppies and kittens..i promise!". That would qualify as bargaining right? 

To Each Man, Responsibility
Sqrl said:
fkusumot said:
Sqrl said:
fkusumot said:
Sqrl said:

Aaah that explains a lot. I once lost my favorite hat and I was stuck in denial for like 2 hours looking for it. Then I got angry that I lost it for a while. But I was confused because I skipped bargaining and was depressed for the rest of the night..in the morning I accepted that it was gone and bought a new one. Luckily I still have my new hat.

Now that I know different people go through the stages differently I understand why I skipped bargaining...before I just thought it was because there was nobody to bargain with...of course maybe I am just forgetting and I said something like "please god help me find my hat and I will stop kicking puppies and kittens..i promise!". That would qualify as bargaining right?

That example fits the normative criteria. In the end I would say that it's lucky that didn't find the hat if you did do some bargaining. You are free to go back to your puppy and kitten kickin' ways!

RPGJock said:
ioi just reported in a different post that "No More Heroes" sold 33k in the first week of NA. Take it as you may for the future of Wii software...

That sounds above average for a Suda game.