By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo confident that Wii third party sales will change for the better

@Mars: As Sony and MS fanboys like to point out, Wii Sports has sold 17 million because it's packed-in in all but one country. It still counts for attach rate, but that means absolutely NOTHING for T-Ps. What would be the difference for a TP if Wii Sports sold 500,000 or 200 million, as long as their game sold 1 million either way?

@topic: We're already seeing the TP support pick up quite dramatically. This year, off the top of my head, we've got Fragile, Fatal Frame IV, best version (IMO) of Star Wars Force Unleashed, Monster Hunter, and No More Heroes. I know there are more I'm not thinking of right now.

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."
Around the Network

Parokki, I think that is the biggest thing. Developers need time to make great games. E3 should have some good announcements. I also think Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles delay is a good thing. In the mean time there are some great third party games for Wii. I am having a blast with NMH, MoHH2 was cool, there have been some great rail shooting games, Lego SW was great, RE4 remake was fun (but I played it on GCN). Okami is coming, so are King Story, Destroy All Humans, Harvest Moon, Ninja Reflex, and Brothers in Arms. Who know what other New IPs might turn out good or great.

I would cite regulation, but I know you will simply ignore it.

iherduliekmudkip said:
obviously it has to improve, because its terrible right now, nowhere to go but up.

probably won't go very far though, lol.

Eh, atleast it's doing better then the PS3. I think it's selling 3rd party software pretty well. Not at the level of Nintendo but more then enough to generate profits on most games considering how much cheaper it is to develop a game on the wii then PS3 or 360.

Nintendo games sell more... but that's just because no other software company really comes close to matching Nintendo.

If Nintendo went 3rd party they'd likely dominate just as hard on 360 or PS3.  I mean just about every Nintendo created game is a high quality highly regarded megagame. 

Sqrl said:

@topic,

Really it is interesting that of all of the arguments from launch that the Wii won't succeed we are down to only a single argument left really. The attach ratio argument held on for a good time also but now the only one left with any strength is "ZOMG third parties h8 nintendo consoles!!".

I'll have to leave it up to fkusumot to tell me how far away from acceptance we are.

Oh, I don't know. They might be able to get some more miles out of the "But PS360 gets more revenue" misconception. And even as it becomes harder and harder to deny Nintendomination of this generation, they can move on to moaning about how "the Wii killed gaming."

People like to fool themselves. It's easier than admitting defeat. 

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

I mean to further expand on my point.

Microsoft's big company game is Halo... and that's about it right? The rest of the big exclusives are third party to my knowledge. (Bungie left but soft still owns Halo.)

Sony has Gran Turismo and God of War... and I think that's all for the "huge" games.

Nitnendo has, Mario Platformer, Mario Kart, Mario Party (or is that third party? like Sonic), Legend of Zelda, Super Smash Brothers, Metroid, and a number of other game games that are at or near the top of their niches... some of which are extremely popular.

There are plenty of sales to go around, but no company is going to come close to Nintendo when it comes to software profitability because they are the best of the best. They have too many elite franchises.

The points brought up by Nintendo are also valid... but I mean, what do you expect they are by far the best software company out there.

There is plenty of money to be made on the Wii and i'm sure plenty of 3rd parties will continue to cash in and gain even more money.

Around the Network

what took from this is that 50 ds games has sold at least 1 million and our million seller list only has 40...

End of 2009 Predictions (Set, January 1st 2009)

Wii- 72 million   3rd Year Peak, better slate of releases

360- 37 million   Should trend down slightly after 3rd year peak

PS3- 29 million  Sales should pick up next year, 3rd year peak and price cut

@Kasz: That's an excellent point. If Nintendo ever became a TP, they would be the one you'd bend over backwards to exclusivity from (of course, this would all have to happen once hell dethawed).

@bigjon: shipped != sold

@topic: this is going to be Nintendo's biggest year in their history (well, either this year or '09). They are thoroughly thrashing their competition in two separate markets, and according to some fanboys, they've done it on their own without TP support. Imagine what will happen this year when TP's start supporting Wii with just as many (or more) quality titles as they do with PS360.

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."
Sqrl said:

I'll have to leave it up to fkusumot to tell me how far away from acceptance we are.

• Denial (Wii Fit will bomb!)
  • Anger (I blame Wii Fit!)
  • Bargaining (Please God, I'll do anything if you make it go away.)
  • Depression (I don't care about Wii Fit. Let it destroy gaming. I'm starting a new hobby.)
  • Acceptance (I, for one, accept our new Wii Fit overlords.)

fkusumot said:
Sqrl said:

• Denial (Wii Fit will bomb!)
  • Anger (I blame Wii Fit!)
  • Bargaining (Please God, I'll do anything if you make it go away.)
  • Depression (I don't care about Wii Fit. Let it destroy gaming. I'm starting a new hobby.)
  • Acceptance (I, for one, accept our new Wii Fit overlords.)

It seems like different people are at different stages but if I am interpreting this properly this means we are almost officially beyond denial accross the board.  We've been seeing anger for a while and bargaining has been around for a bit as well..I think Leo was the first to hit depression and we have a few that actually seemed to skip depression and go straight to acceptance.   Interesting....

To Each Man, Responsibility

I haven't personally seen 3rd parties really struggline. I mean comparatively to some of the PS360 counterparts yes, but they all seem to be selling enough to turn a profit.

Not to mention have quite a few 3rd party games about to go platinum such as MySims, LSW:CS, RE:UC, Carnival Games, and Rayman 2.

But maybe when 3rd parties really start making good games on Wii and THEN marketing them like AAA games then we'll see some platinum sellers.