By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Real or not, Jesus is the most influencial Human in history! If you deny that you are lying to yourself-

Most influencial?

Obama 10 3.82%

Greg Johnson 2 0.76%

Elvis 6 2.29%

Karl Marx 12 4.58%

Benji Franklin 5 1.91%

Jesus 140 53.44%

Shakespear 6 2.29%

Mel Gibson 11 4.20%

Islam God, do not want to... 25 9.54%

Other ( Post below fake internet friends!) 43 16.41%

Total:260
spurgeonryan said:
By the Way, jesus is winning in the poll. Next closest is Mel Gibson and Muhammed.

You could have at least put Buddha up there... 

Around the Network
spurgeonryan said:
Talal said:
spurgeonryan said:
By the Way, jesus is winning in the poll. Next closest is Mel Gibson and Muhammed.

lol Mohammed isn't the Muslim god.

I thought Mohamed was a man? That is why he is not winning. No one knows him.....

He's just a prophet not a god.

dsgrue3 said:
BenVTrigger said:
At this point its pretty much universally agreed Jesus was a real person who lived. Theres more than enough evidence of this.

And yes he is pretty much without a doubt the most influential

By whom? Bible scholars?

That's called confirmation bias. Fact remains - 0 contemporary evidence.

No, historical evidence.

The fact that during the time of Jesus life and death there were pretty much zero debate in the area whether Jesus lived and was crucified. There was heavy debate over whether he was a man or God but pretty much everyone agreed he was real 

Im not even Christian but to say he didnt exist is frankly naive or hoping he didnt exist due to personal belief or bias

Jesus is a really good choice, but Muhammad might edge him out slightly, if only because of his impact on military and political history in addition to religious history.

P.S. The "Islam God" is the God of Abraham, meaning he/she/it is shared among all Abrahamic religions, i.e., Judaism and Christianity.

dsgrue3 said:
BenVTrigger said:
At this point its pretty much universally agreed Jesus was a real person who lived. Theres more than enough evidence of this.

And yes he is pretty much without a doubt the most influential

By whom? Bible scholars?

That's called confirmation bias. Fact remains - 0 contemporary evidence.

"Virtually all modern scholars of antiquity agree that Jesus existed,[1][2][3][4] and although there is little agreement on the historicity of gospel narratives and their theological assertions of his divinity,[5][6][7][8] biblical scholars andclassical historians regard theories of his non-existence as effectively refuted."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Historicity_of_Jesus

From my experience, the only people who say that Jesus did not exist are ignorant Atheists who refuse to accept that truth.  Not saying that that's you, just saying that the majority of Atheists i've encountered online, appear to be ignorant on that topic.

Something...Something...Games...Something

Around the Network

St Paul is more responsible for the spread of christianity in the Roman empire, and thus the world than Jesus was.

As for religious leaders, what about Muhammed? He had a pretty huge impact on the world as well.

I LOVE ICELAND!

Yes I think he's the most influential person who ever lived however I believe that most of the influence has been largely negative. Same goes for Muhammed.

spurgeonryan said:

Would there be Catholics or any form of Christianity without this Guy right up there? His might has been felt all over the world. Crusades, Wars, gay rights, abortion, Religion as we have it today, etc. That is just the tip of the iceberg that sunk the Titanic. If it was not for Jesus making his religion more liberal, his religion would still be a horrific nightmare that we saw in the Old Testament.

This has been both good and bad. Bad because we have the Catholic church trying to keep the human race in the dark ages for centuries, but it is also good because we would have all been wild blood thirsty killers by now. No one would want to sacrifice lambs on a regular basis besides Isrealites and everyone else would go on to be Pegans. Eventually either worshipping evil enities or just becoming Athiests when Charles Darwin came along.

I guess second place would go to Karl Marx. China, Russia, North Korea, Cuba, etc. His ideas that were forged by Satan helped destroy the World. So in actuality Satan is the most influencial person in human history behind God, but they are not and were not men, even though in many Christian Religions Jesus is God. Even though he is the Son of god, and at one point, a Holy Spirit Zombie that walked among men.

This is so wrong....

Your first and crucial mistake is pinning a set of beliefs and works (The Bible) on a guy called Jesus. He didn't write the Bible. Most of the stories are either nonsense or hear say written decades and centuries later. 

This guy, Constantine the Great, was the guy who actually organised the Bible to be written, ergo he is the most influential person if you believe Christianity is what has formed most of the last two millenia of morality. 

And then we can easily just as well argue that who actually created Christianity wasn't the above guy, but this one:

Plato. It's often said that his take on morality was the foundational ideas of Christianity. 

Education over. 

While Jesus is probably the most famous (either him or Ronald McDonald), I'd say the most influential person is some scientist who made breakthroughs in science and/or mathematics. Such a person doesn't necessarily have to be famous to.be the most influential on mankind. But I'm no historian nor have I even cared to think about this stuff seriously. This is just some random dude's opinion on the internet. Take that for what it is.

That's a tough one to disagree with. So much of modern Western culture has been influenced by Christianity whether it's real or not. I do however disagree with your assertion that without it we would have "all been wild blood thirsty killers by now." without it.

I guess you could argue that Jesus didn't actually do all of those things in the bible and therefore the most important people would be the authors of it who started up this influential religion and not the bible's subject.

Tough case to make though since he was a real person. If someone wrote a fantasy book about Thomas Edison which started up a religion praising him I guess I'd call Thomas Edison the most influential person and not the author of the book. On the other hand if he hadn't existed then obviously the author would be the most influential.

disclaimer: The above post was made with the assumption that the Bible and Christianity are untrue. I apologize if that's hurtful to anyone in the thread but that's my initial position as an atheist and its the angle I'm going to look at this question from.