By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Real or not, Jesus is the most influencial Human in history! If you deny that you are lying to yourself-

Most influencial?

Obama 10 3.82%

Greg Johnson 2 0.76%

Elvis 6 2.29%

Karl Marx 12 4.58%

Benji Franklin 5 1.91%

Jesus 140 53.44%

Shakespear 6 2.29%

Mel Gibson 11 4.20%

Islam God, do not want to... 25 9.54%

Other ( Post below fake internet friends!) 43 16.41%

Total:260
JakDaSnack said:
Mazty said:

You got proof that Moses wrote part of the Bible? No? Thought as much. And no, King James did not create the Bible:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fifty_Bibles_of_Constantine

You clearly are mixing religious belief with reality. Fact is the Bible was written not by Jesus, and whether any of it is true or not is unknown. What we do know is that in 325AD a council near enough created modern day Christianity:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Council_of_Nicaea

You can still be a Christian and accept how it was made btw.

The old Testament was written before either Plato or Constantine, and Jesus was referenced in EVERY book of the bible(bet you didn't know that:P)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dead_Sea_Scrolls

So Jesus was referenced in the Old Testament? 

The issue is that with the New Testament, it clearly has many similarites with the works of Plato (427 BC - 347 BC) and was written about 600 years later. Go figure.

Around the Network
dsgrue3 said:
BenVTrigger said:
No, historical evidence.

The fact that during the time of Jesus life and death there were pretty much zero debate in the area whether Jesus lived and was crucified. There was heavy debate over whether he was a man or God but pretty much everyone agreed he was real 

Im not even Christian but to say he didnt exist is frankly naive or hoping he didnt exist due to personal belief or bias

There is no contemporary historical evidence. Sorry, you're clearly misinformed here.

JakDaSnack said:
"Virtually all modern scholars of antiquity agree that Jesus existed,[1][2][3][4] and although there is little agreement on the historicity of gospel narratives and their theological assertions of his divinity,[5][6][7][8] biblical scholars andclassical historians regard theories of his non-existence as effectively refuted."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Historicity_of_Jesus

From my experience, the only people who say that Jesus did not exist are ignorant Atheists who refuse to accept that truth.  Not saying that that's you, just saying that the majority of Atheists i've encountered online, appear to be ignorant on that topic.

See above. I don't care what some mindless book-peddler thinks. (Check your sources, all of them are from authors.)

"Since the 18th century a number of quests for the historical Jesus have taken place, and historical critical methods for studying the historicity of Jesus have been developed. Various Christian and non-Christian sources are used to study and establish the historicity of Jesus, e.g. Jewish sources such as Josephus, and Roman sources such as Tacitus. These sources are compared and contrasted to Christian sources such as the Pauline Letters and the Synoptic Gospels to determine the historicity of Jesus. These sources are usually independent of each other (e.g. Jewish sources do not draw upon Roman sources), and similarities and differences between them are used in the authentication process.[27][28]"

Something...Something...Games...Something

Mazty said:
JakDaSnack said:

The issue is that with the New Testament, it clearly has many similarites with the works of Plato (427 BC - 347 BC) and was written about 600 years later. Go figure.

Christians believe the Old Testament was in refrence to the birth of Jesus. As for Plato, I've studied numerous works by him considering I'm a Philosophy minor. Obviously, Euthyphro, Apology, Crito and Phaedo while studying Socrates. The Republic and Gorgias for Ethics. I would like to see these similarities you claim. Maybe I'll come across it in my other Philosophy classes.

JakDaSnack said:

"Since the 18th century a number of quests for the historical Jesus have taken place, and historical critical methods for studying the historicity of Jesus have been developed. Various Christian and non-Christian sources are used to study and establish the historicity of Jesus, e.g. Jewish sources such as Josephus, and Roman sources such as Tacitus. These sources are compared and contrasted to Christian sources such as the Pauline Letters and the Synoptic Gospels to determine the historicity of Jesus. These sources are usually independent of each other (e.g. Jewish sources do not draw upon Roman sources), and similarities and differences between them are used in the authentication process.[27][28]"

Not trying to be rude here, but you are failing to understand my point.

All references to Jesus/Yahwey/The Messiah whatever you want to call him are not contemporary. They are from 50+ years after his crucifixion. 

Don't you find it a bit odd that nothing was written about him from his time period? No one alive during Jesus' life wrote of him. 

There were many men named Jesus, it's no different from Adam, or any other name. I'm sure there was a Jesus, but not the Jesus of the Bible.

Max King of the Wild said:
Mazty said:
JakDaSnack said:

Christians believe the Old Testament was in refrence to the birth of Jesus. As for Plato, I've studied numerous works by him considering I'm a Philosophy minor. Obviously, Euthyphro, Apology, Crito and Phaedo while studying Socrates. The Republic and Gorgias for Ethics. I would like to see these similarities you claim. Maybe I'll come across it in my other Philosophy classes.

Hit up The Republic and his ideas on a transcendental plain:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Platonism#Christianity_and_Platonism

Around the Network
spurgeonryan said:
spurgeonryan said:
perpride said:
people who are more influential from the top of my head:

Michael Jackson
Walter White
Jay-Z
Michael Jordan
Wayne Gretzky
Hironobu Sakaguchi
John Locke

James Marsden, Craig Snow, Brett Walton, Sam  Cassel, Sam Neil, Dr. Moreaux, Helen Hunt, Tim Allen ( pre- Toy Story), Wilford Brimley.

@ Guy who is arguing with me. umm..........Who wrote the first five books of the bible then? God?

Jahwist, Elohist, Priestly, and Dueterotomists. (JEDP) wrote the Pentateuch/Law/Torah

Are you and I talking about the same bible?

Clearly.

Mazty said:
Mazty said:
JakDaSnack said:

You link just talks about people who were christians that were influenced by Plato... which I could have told you that. It doesn't say Matthew, Mark, Luke or John (the foundation of christianity) were influenced by plato.

The inventor of "sliced" bread wins hands down :P

If it isn't turnbased it isn't worth playing   (mostly)

And shepherds we shall be,

For Thee, my Lord, for Thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee And teeming with souls shall it ever be. In Nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritūs Sancti. -----The Boondock Saints

Mazty said:
Mazty said:
JakDaSnack said:

You link just talks about people who were christians that were influenced by Plato... which I could have told you that. It doesn't say Matthew, Mark, Luke or John (the foundation of christianity) were influenced by plato.

Seriously?? Do you have proof that Matthew, Mark, Luke or John wrote the Bible? Oh wait, it's known that they weren't around when Jesus was.

Please, we are talking about history here, so drop any notions you have of "the bible has to be right" and let's approach this from a logical standpoint, okay?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Authorship_of_the_Bible#Mark

Mazty said:
Mazty said:
Mazty said:
JakDaSnack said:

Seriously?? Do you have proof that Matthew, Mark, Luke or John wrote the Bible? Oh wait, it's known that they weren't around when Jesus was.

Please, we are talking about history here, so drop any notions you have of "the bible has to be right" and let's approach this from a logical standpoint, okay?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Authorship_of_the_Bible#Mark

I don't think the Bible is right... but that doesn't mean you are right either. And I'm well aware of the 4 source theory.