By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Real or not, Jesus is the most influencial Human in history! If you deny that you are lying to yourself-

Most influencial?

Obama 10 3.82%

Greg Johnson 2 0.76%

Elvis 6 2.29%

Karl Marx 12 4.58%

Benji Franklin 5 1.91%

Jesus 140 53.44%

Shakespear 6 2.29%

Mel Gibson 11 4.20%

Islam God, do not want to... 25 9.54%

Other ( Post below fake internet friends!) 43 16.41%

Total:260
Mazty said:
chriscox1121 said:

schnip

Schnip

I have yet to see you acting as a professor, I guess you should start now by being scholarly.

Anyways, don't deviate from our dialogue and stick to issue I have raised with you over your earlier claims.  Your more than welcome to continue your argument concerning the gospels with the other posters if you choose.  I'm not going to get sidetracked and lose complete sight of the topic we are discussing. 

Around the Network
chriscox1121 said:
Mazty said:
chriscox1121 said:

schnip

Schnip

I have yet to see you acting as a professor, I guess you should start now by being scholarly.

Anyways, don't deviate from our dialogue and stick to issue I have raised with you over your earlier claims.  Your more than welcome to continue your argument concerning the gospels with the other posters if you choose.  I'm not going to get sidetracked and lose complete sight of the topic we are discussing. 

Well what is your point because it seems to have lost all relevance to the OP...

Is the Bible a good source of what a fella called Jesus said? No. Therefore how can we say he was the most influential person ever if we don't even know what he said?

I would day he isn't eve the most influential in the three religions he is a credited with: Jewish, Christian, and Muslim. Moses has a much more substantial roll. Plus he is credited with bringing the 10 commandments.

Which one is quoted more? "Love the neighbor?" or "An eye for an eye?"

Really not sure I see any point of Consol over PC's since Kinect, Wii and other alternative ways to play have been abandoned. 

Top 50 'most fun' game list coming soon!

Tell me a funny joke!

Max King of the Wild said:
Torillian said:
Torillian said:
I was talking to a professor at my university about this and he had an interesting rationale. Although Jesus has been the most influential person in people's day to day lives for centuries arguably someone like James Watt was much more influential in our day to day lives in the modern age. How different your life would be without Watt and how much the world has changed in such a short amount of time since the industrial revolution is probably more important to your day to day life than religious influence. Now Historically I'm sure Christianity in some way affected the Industrial Revolution, but if we play that game then we wouldn't call Jesus the most influential and we'd instead have to go back further to who influenced the eventual creation of Christianity instead of Jesus himself.

Another thought came to mind.  While Christianity has had a huge impact on Western Culture it hasn't had that same effect world wide and there are regions where it had very little effect, on the other hand you'd be hard pressed to find regions that have not been dirrectly affected by the Industrial Revolution, so I'm sticking with James Watt for the most influential person for modern life.  If you are counting influence throughout history then I think you'd probably have to go further back than Jesus.  

Have you been giving this some thought or just every once in a while for some reason something pops in your head for no reason that gets you thinking?

Off topic - do you know about BelAire?

I bring it up to people I like to have intelectual discussions with for giggles.  Professor mentioned the idea that technology has a bigger impact on our day to day lives than religious influence and while talking to my girlfriend I thought about the idea that Jesus was a much bigger factor for Western culture than others.  

OT: Unless we're talking about the Fresh Prince of then no.  

Zappykins said:
I would day he isn't eve the most influential in the three religions he is a credited with: Jewish, Christian, and Muslim. Moses has a much more substantial roll. Plus he is credited with bringing the 10 commandments.

But I think "An eye for an eye" is from Hammurabi's code of law.  

Around the Network
Torillian said:
Zappykins said:

But I think "An eye for an eye" is from Hammurabi's code of law.  

I realized that after I posted.  Yes, I should have said, "Love they Neighbor" or "The 10 Commandments?"

My point was Moses has more influence in more religions than Jesus.  Here in the USA many Christians but few are Christ-like at all.

Really not sure I see any point of Consol over PC's since Kinect, Wii and other alternative ways to play have been abandoned. 

Top 50 'most fun' game list coming soon!

Tell me a funny joke!

Zappykins said:

The thing is, we have overwhelming evidence that Jesus existed, whether he was the Son of God as Christian's believe, a prophet as the Muslims believe, or simply as a preacher as athiests believe.

There is no scientific evidence that Moses existed, that the pyramids were built with slave labour, or Jewish labour, or that the people who built the pyramids fled into the desert. If the title had been "Moses is the most influential person ever", this thread would just be full of "Batman has had more influence than Moses ever did" from those who believe the bible to be fiction.

Torillian said:
Torillian said:

I bring it up to people I like to have intelectual discussions with for giggles.  Professor mentioned the idea that technology has a bigger impact on our day to day lives than religious influence and while talking to my girlfriend I thought about the idea that Jesus was a much bigger factor for Western culture than others.  

Yeah, I kinda want to ask my theology teacher what he thinks about the people claiming there isn't enough evidence for Jesus' existence. He is a funny guy and very critical about the Catholic church (He is protestant). He hasn't held anything back about seedy practises so far. That section is over with now and we are looking at the high points of the church.

I asked my wife about Herodotus today because she took that class at UWM. I was wondering about him vs the first 4 books of the NT

OT: Humboult and Water street (by where I live). Tuesday's and Thursdays $2 tacos. It's becoming my favorite resturaunt in Milwaukee.

Torillian said:
Torillian said:

Yeah, I kinda want to ask my theology teacher what he thinks about the people claiming there isn't enough evidence for Jesus' existence. He is a funny guy and very critical about the Catholic church (He is protestant). He hasn't held anything back about seedy practises so far. That section is over with now and we are looking at the high points of the church.

I asked my wife about Herodotus today because she took that class at UWM. I was wondering about him vs the first 4 books of the NT

OT: Humboult and Water street (by where I live). Tuesday's and Thursdays $2 tacos. It's becoming my favorite resturaunt in Milwaukee.

No genuine historian will claim that...So much so that you can pretty much ignore anyone who claims a man named Jesus did not exist sometime around 0AD - 35AD. 

Slimebeast said:
Mazty said:
Slimebeast said:
Mazty said:

Dear oh dear oh dear....

First of all the Bible wasn't "written" 300+ years after the events as the Bible is a collection of books rather than a book itself. The Bible however was composed, as in all the books, were put together 300+ years later meaning that various accounts in various forms had been floating around. When we mix that fact in with the fact that a lot of the books were not written by eye witnesses, go figure how valid the accounts in it are. 

This thread is just fucking rediculous. It's amazing the level of ignorance surrounding the creation of the Bible - are you religious by any chance? Because very few people seem educated in anyway as to the origins of the New Testament. 

Yes, the definitive compilation of the Christian books (= The Bible) was complete in the 4th century. Everybody knows that. But what implication does that have on the authenticity of the original accounts if the compiled books themselves had been unchanged since their writing in the first century?

Yes, I'm religious. But you seem to be the one who is uneducated on the origins of the NT (or misunderstood it gravely).

The original accounts weren't by eye witnesses. Therefore how reliable a source is it? The answer obviously is "not very". When you tie in the fact that Luke used Mark as a source, same goes for Matthew, then it gets complex as we realise that Mark is probably the most accurate source. However, there are possibilites that Mark tied in Homer's Odyssey to what was written, as well as stories that had been passed down orally. 

If we were to approach that source as rational human beings with knowledge of the scientific method, it's validity is sketchy at best. So to then attribute Jesus as the most influential human being in history is rediculous as we don't actually know with any conviction what Jesus said. 

No dude, you clearly are letting religion dictate it's origins rather than history, and are not approaching this rationally. 

...In the 30 years between Jesus death and the writing of the Gospels there undoubtedly was room for some errors and contradictions to creep in, but the essential themes seem to be very well preserved and trustworthy.

Some of those contradictions clash with and invalidate Trinitarian doctrine. Trinitarian doctrine is very fragile.

Example, Doctrine says the Son is God...Father is God...therefore the Son knows what God knows and so God knows everything that could be known, but the scripture says Son does not know the Hour, but the Father does. Actually the Holy Spirit does not know the Hour either and he is also God the Allknowing.