By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft (Qtr results) Beat expectations: Revenue: $20.5bn (up 8%), Income $6.7bn (up 5%), E&D division $342m profit, XBOX:1.3m shipped

bigCchris said:
mutantclown said:
Lostplanet22 said:
On Vgchartz: - All my friends leave Xbox live and get PSn plus!
- Hundreds of threads why it is stupid people stay on xbox live...

Reality: Xbox live saw an increase of 18%!

Burn! Stupid fanboys and their wild pathetic hatefull dreams sigh =p.

It's only expected it's going to increase because of all the millions of new X360 owners, SOME of them have to connect it to the internet, right? That 46% includes ALL Live accounts, meaning "Silver" which is pretty much connecting the box to the net and making an account, lol.

expected?? i think youre missing the point systems declined 9% xbox live membership increase 18% wouldnt you think that theses two would have a direct relationship. if i told you that hotdog weiners sales dropped 9% would you expect hotdog buns to increased 18% 

Yeah, because some of the old X360 owners (sold on a previous quarter and before that) might just be making an account this past quarter. Even people who don't buy a brand-new 360 can make an account and that will not help increase the number of consoles sold but it will increase the Live membership. 

Around the Network
kowenicki said:
ethomaz said:
kowenicki said:
pezus said:
What do you say about hardware sales of the old consoles this year then, kowen? 30% down, was it?

25% to 30% yes.  They will be.  Guaranteed.  The holdays will be down by at least 50%.

Shipments were down less than 10%.

Yes.  And?

I just fail to see your 25-30% down.

Edit - I got now... you are expecting the drop be over 50% after the mid of the year... I don't because GTA V will more hardware.

bigCchris said:
mutantclown said:
Lostplanet22 said:

It's only expected it's going to increase because of all the millions of new X360 owners, SOME of them have to connect it to the internet, right? That 46% includes ALL Live accounts, meaning "Silver" which is pretty much connecting the box to the net and making an account, lol.

expected?? i think youre missing the point systems declined 9% xbox live membership increase 18% wouldnt you think that theses two would have a direct relationship. if i told you that hotdog weiners sales dropped 9% would you expect hotdog buns to increased 18% 

I wasn't aware you needed to buy a new xbox everytime your subscription ran out.

I'd be quite dissapointed if the 360 wasn't adjusted up properly, as our good Samaritan ethomaz pointed out we've known for a wee while that it is under a bit in Europe.

Farsala said:
bigCchris said:
mutantclown said:
Lostplanet22 said:

Not that I really care about this conversation but you got that wrong shipments declined 9% YoY. While the total Xbox live numbers increased 18% overall. Or do I have it wrong? If it is 18% yoy then that would be weird to me.

no youre right, live has gone up from 40 to 46 the 18% increase and sales have dropped 9% yoy, sales have declined for several quarters already yet live continues to grows, yes some of it because of new owners logging in for the first time, more systems were sold, but to expect a 6 million increase in one quarter because of more systems being sold, no there was definately other more important factors involved

i agree i could have done a better response but it was the quickest thing to come to head. 

"We're in the business of making money" said by every company ever known

Around the Network
mutantclown said:
bigCchris said:
mutantclown said:
Lostplanet22 said:

Yeah, because some of the old X360 owners (sold on a previous quarter and before that) might just be making an account this past quarter. Even people who don't buy a brand-new 360 can make an account and that will not help increase the number of consoles sold but it will increase the Live membership. 

Youre right some can be from older owners, some are silver accounts, some are gold, we dont know concrete numbers except that live total saw an increase from 40 to 46 somewhere in the area of 18% i dont believe the amount of units sold between jan to march justifies a 6 million increase in live memberships, even if you include the 5.9 sold in the previous qter to the 1.3 sold this last qtr, that would mean 83% of the console sold in the last two quarters started a live acount, thats huge.

kowenicki said:
bigCchris said:
mutantclown said:
bigCchris said:
mutantclown said:
Lostplanet22 said:

Youre right some can be from older owners, some are silver accounts, some are gold, we dont know concrete numbers except that live total saw an increase from 40 to 46 somewhere in the area of 18% i dont believe the amount of units sold between jan to march justifies a 6 million increase in live memberships, even if you include the 5.9 sold in the previous qter to the 1.3 sold this last qtr, that would mean 83% of the console sold in the last two quarters started a live acount, thats huge.

what?

The 40 to 46m is year on year.  What are you all talking about?  6m since end of March 2012.

Did i read it wrong then? i got my number from the microsoft investor relations page, and it had Xbox LIVE members >40 million for fy13 qtr 2 isnt the standing number of memberships as of that quarter?

http://www.microsoft.com/Investor/EarningsAndFinancials/Earnings/SegmentResults/EntertainmentAndDevicesDivision/FY13/Q2/performance.aspx

hasonap said:
dallas said:
No, bc msft is transitioning to a period where tablets and smartphones are eating up PC sales, and msft will never have a chance to best Android or IOS, so future sales look mediocre

Do you even read after you write your comments?

In those 40years new tech has been coming and going and still MS is still in the game what makes you think tablets and Smartphones will be any different?

To even produce the content for your tablet or smartphone you NEED the PC right now so stop your BS. Macs are included in this PC category I am talking about, you may be able to reproduce Office apps like Word and such but it will take a long time until you can efficiently develop games, apps and programs on a Tablet or smartphone

I agree  MS is still well and truly in the game , but the you need PC's to develop  argument is a bit thin , it seems to imply that alone would keep them in the game when the number of PC's used for that purpose is very small % wise in overall PC numbers , but like you said MS is a strong  player and as the bonus of being cemented into peoples/businesses daily lives , something they can use to leverage their software across other products.

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

Yeah it was obvious before but now it's just a giant slap in the face, both the 360 and ps3 are VASTLY undertracked on this website by well over 1 million. Vgchartz sort your numbers out.

Lostplanet22 said:

congrats, you just started a flame war