By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

I get frowned upon for saying people shouldn't be celebrating her death regardless of how they felt about her as a person or a leader.
I've even had people try to convince me she's on par, even worse than Hitler and her activities over shadowing the Holocaust...the fucking Holocaust. That's the granddaddy of all and to some, she somehow managed to top that...
It's bizarre to find people who agrees with me on the matter.

PS One/2/p/3slim/Vita owner. I survived the Apocalyps3/Collaps3 and all I got was this lousy signature.

Xbox One: What are you doing Dave?

Around the Network

This is, of course, a sales-dominated website, so the conservative bias here is to be expected. I don't really want to argue for or against Thatcher, but I do want to argue for the people who despise her. (note: I believe that the unions were to blame for many issues, but I also believe that Thatcher could have handled the situation far more competently than she did).

Some comments I made on Reddit on the topic:

Try to empathize with those who despise Thatcher. Many of them have family who were miners, and thus had their way of life, their entire community, etc. destroyed. They put the blame on Thatcher. Whether or not it is correct to solely blame Thatcher is not relevant to the fact that people do hate her.

Whatever your field of work is, or whatever your father/mother/etc.'s field of work is, imagine that it were shut down by David Cameron. Imagine that this field of work sustained entire towns, and that those towns are now husks of their former selves

Imagine that tens of thousands of people lost their livelihoods because of this.
If you thought that one person had done this to you and your people, you'd be dancing in the streets celebrating his/her death as well. Sic semper tyrannis.

xbebop said:
This is, of course, a sales-dominated website, so the conservative bias here is to be expected. I don't really want to argue for or against Thatcher, but I do want to argue for the people who despise her. (note: I believe that the unions were to blame for many issues, but I also believe that Thatcher could have handled the situation far more competently than she did).

Try to empathize with those who despise Thatcher. Many of them have family who were miners, and thus had their way of life, their entire community, etc. destroyed. They put the blame on Thatcher. Whether or not it is correct to solely blame Thatcher is not relevant to the fact that people do hate her.

Whatever your field of work is, or whatever your father/mother/etc.'s field of work is, imagine that it were shut down by David Cameron. Imagine that this field of work sustained entire towns, and that those towns are now husks of their former selves

Imagine that tens of thousands of people lost their livelihoods because of this.
If you thought that one person had done this to you and your people, you'd be dancing in the streets celebrating his/her death as well. Sic semper tyrannis.

That's exactly why I can't empathise with those people. Nothing is ever that black and white, it's idiocy to believe it is. Whilst I can empathise with people that felt their community was destroyed, I can't empathise with people who hold a single person responsible nearly 30 years after the act and then celebrate her death because of this. It's not like the successive governments have helped matters so instead of "protesting" someone whose dead (and by being dead... ya know, can't do anything about it) why don't they actually try and force politicians to do something for their futures.

Ajescent said:
I get frowned upon for saying people shouldn't be celebrating her death regardless of how they felt about her as a person or a leader.
I've even had people try to convince me she's on par, even worse than Hitler and her activities over shadowing the Holocaust...the fucking Holocaust. That's the granddaddy of all and to some, she somehow managed to top that...

Say what?! Maybe you should tell them to look up the brutal and sadistic torture of prisoners at the Dachau concentration camp. Some people need to get some perspective. If they really think that Thatcher and Hitler are comparable then they seriosuly have no clue as to quite how sick and depraved the Nazi regime was (or how nasty human beings in general can be).

Does Rupert Murdoch (FOX) really own the rights to 'ding dong the witch is dead'?

Sounds too good to be true.

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!

Around the Network
Scoobes said:
Ajescent said:

Say what?! Maybe you should tell them to look up the brutal and sadistic torture of prisoners at the Dachau concentration camp. Some people need to get some perspective. If they really think that Thatcher and Hitler are comparable then they seriosuly have no clue as to quite how sick and depraved the Nazi regime was (or how nasty human beings in general can be).

Thatcher did some bad things (depending on your perspective) but you can't compare her actions to any massacre of any kind, yet alone the holocaust. Some people are so ignorant

Xbox One, PS4 and Switch (+ Many Retro Consoles)

'When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called the people's stick'- Mikhail Bakunin

Prediction: Switch will sell better than Wii U Lifetime Sales by Jan 1st 2018

Scoobes said:
xbebop said:

That's exactly why I can't empathise with those people. Nothing is ever that black and white, it's idiocy to believe it is. Whilst I can empathise with people that felt their community was destroyed, I can't empathise with people who hold a single person responsible nearly 30 years after the act and then celebrate her death because of this. It's not like the successive governments have helped matters so instead of "protesting" someone whose dead (and by being dead... ya know, can't do anything about it) why don't they actually try and force politicians to do something for their futures.

At least she done what she believed in, remember she said society didn't exist? Screw everything else!

Xbox One, PS4 and Switch (+ Many Retro Consoles)

'When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called the people's stick'- Mikhail Bakunin

Prediction: Switch will sell better than Wii U Lifetime Sales by Jan 1st 2018

RIP.

She had flaws like every human being, but she was a great Prime Minister. And back in the '70s, trade union blocking economic growth with their vetero-marxist dogmatism and almost bankrupt companies sucking public money instead of dying and making room to healthier ones were huge problems, she was right fighting them.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Scoobes said:
xbebop said:

Indeed, they may be idiots--then again, many people are. I still find a way to empathize with them because, as a historian, it is always necessary for me to empathize with historical actors (you have to be able to see the world from the point of view of your subject).

I would like to say this, though: they could be dancing in the streets because it is the last victory over Thatcher and neoliberalism in general that they think they will have. Neoliberalism did not die with New Labour or with Thatcher; in fact, it's stronger now more than ever. University tuition is skyrocketing, the NHS is being slated for privatization, and so on. Parliament no longer cares about the poor, and they haven't for quite some time (i would say especially since Thatcher). Now that every party follows the neoliberal doctrine, those in the working class are left behind. They're no longer relevant--it is, as we would say here in the US, the "job creators" who are the main focus now. While they profit the vast majority of Britain will just get poorer. The GDP may (or may not) rise, but most people will never see the gains.

Thatcher's death, in the end, means nothing. 

Humble beginnings but she got lucky marrying a wealthy businessman in Denis Thatcher. Thatcher was a highly ambitious, ruthless social class climber who never let anyone or anything stand in her way of reaching the top. Thatcher  who fought for the interests of the super rich elites: Bankers, Speculators, Corporate Monopolies, etc. In death all the sins are forgiven and the revisionists give a revised historical account only showing the good things that person did during their life. If you were upper/upper-middle class you would have prospered under Thatcher's policies. However if you were working class, pensioner or some other disadvantaged group you would have suffered under Thatcher.