By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Look, i don't want anyone here to die. What i was implying is that Thatcher was the kind of person who's neck would have been on the line come time for revolution, which is still a very mean-spirited thing to say.

I do apologize if anyone took it that way.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Around the Network
MakeAmazing said:
Soleron said:
MakeAmazing said:
Soleron said:

I dont agree with selling power/water, but actually most of these monopolies were totally inefficient. Thats governement for you... the bigger the system the more money/red tape thats required. So making them private companies and making competition cuts costs and improves systems on the whole.

How? There is no competition for consumers in water, buses, or rail. For power, gas and telecoms, you can technically choose a supplier, but the physical pipe is the same and providers are clearly operating a cartel because prices go up in lockstep and do not fall when the wholesale price of gas/electricity/bandwidth falls. On the telecoms side, Britain is dense enough for 100Mbit fibre to be basically everywhere but the hills of Scotland, yet I am stuck with a <1Mbit connection on the top tier.

Something like mobile phones can be competitive because four independent physical networks operate and consumers have free choice which holds prices down.

I agree government monopolies are inefficient, but just putting the word private on them doesn't change that. There has to be meaningful competition between independent providers. Privatisation also makes the companies completely unaccountable - Thames Water is losing millions of gallons of water in leaks and they don't care; whereas a Government organisation could be made to change via political/media pressure.

The Coal mines, well lets be honest they are totally a waste of money. We can buy coal and get it shipped from Australia than digging up our own coal. When something is that inefficient there is no point keeping it going. Open coal mines are the most efficient, but we dont have the room over here to do that. Personally i would rather us waste that money we would spend on getting coal out of the ground on solar panels on every house.

Solar panels? In Britain? lololol. No, what we need is lots of new nuclear as a stopgap to clean nuclear fusion. Nuclear is now safe, in addition to being reliable and scalable unlike renewables.

Selling council houses actually helped house hold income and gave people more spending money - so it helped the economy, the *BIG* problem was that no one (conservatives or labour after) had considered building any more. So a bubble was created. The actual idea of people owning their own houses was fine, it was the rest of it that was the problem. In fact no goverment since the 80's has still fixed the housing issue... were still not building them in anywhere near high enough numbers.

Yep. We need to buld lots of houses and ignore planning regulations. They won't do it because house prices will fall...

I dont know why you think Solar panels are bad... there is a perception they still are... but thats like 15 years ago. Think about the tech in your mobile/computer 15 years ago and today, totally different things. Add to the face that electrical devices/bulbs are now much more efficent, we can reduce the energy we use quite easily.

Problems with solar panels in the old days was no many people were making them, and they were costly... they are really getting very efficient now, and because they are making so much of them, the price is dropping (as with all tech). Solar panels work in pretty bad light, and even if they were just for heating or power (either one is good), if we use less general power things improve. I am using gas for heating in my house, and the price just keeps going up and up.. so at some point i will get rid of it for Solar heating.. much more efficient. With gas having to be pumped in from abroad most of the time, you can guess that in the next 10-15 years the price is just going to go up and up. It's that kind of reliance we need to reduce. Solar panels wouldnt mean we dont use other energy sources but it reduces the overall need to bring in fuel/power from abroad and build lots of power stations.

And privatisation, of course there has to be some monopoly... but I have 78mb broadband now when 15 years ago I had a 48k modem. That's progress. The problem has always been a lack of direction from governement and who was going to pay for upgrading the network. Unfortunately the Gov didnt want to add £1 onto peoples bills to pay to upgrade the network, it took time and money from the monopoly to invest in it.

Solar panels in the UK specifically would be a bad idea, what with the gulf stream and all.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

What does the gulf stream have to do with it?

MakeAmazing said:

Unfortunately the Gov didnt want to add £1 onto peoples bills to pay to upgrade the network, it took time and money from the monopoly to invest in it.

Let me get this straight.

You support a corporate telecom monopoly where they keep all the profits, but it's "unfortunate" that the STATE didn't pay for the upgrade? You are the reason we are in this public-private hybrid mess of unaccoutability.

MakeAmazing said:

Would you want a Power Cut during this? :p

:D

As for old news, nobody cares about something that happened 20+ years ago. I think you probably offended the British population on both sides of opinion with that one. Kinda glad I'm not polarised either way by her. So yes, that's why I blame our CURRENT and more recent politicians for CURRENT problems. There's not that much that is fully irrevocable should there be the will to do it. Thatcher had the will and desire to break with the norm.

This is why I say our current politicians are lame ducks, they are happy going with status quo and have no political will or drive to do anything. Hence so many U turns I'm getting dizzy!

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

Around the Network

And there I was thinking this thread was going on all daisies and kumbaya.

Some making her out to be perfect, almost an angel and others making her out to be a devil.

The clever ones will identify that she did equally good and bad.

It is only obvious that the thousands that suffered under her rule will hate her. Why blame them for that? What arrogance.

This has become yet another console debate. "I support Microsoft ( or whoever ) so anyone that don't support them is wrong or an idiot"

Or vice versa.

Sad really.

justinian said:

And there I was thinking this thread was going on all daisies and kumbaya.

Some making her out to be perfect, almost an angel and others making her out to be a devil.

The clever ones will identify that she did equally good and bad.

It is only obvious that the thousands that suffered under her rule will hate her. Why blame them for that? What arrogance.

This has become yet another console debate. "I support Microsoft ( or whoever ) so anyone that don't support them is wrong or an idiot"

Or vice versa.

Sad really.

+1000000000

QUOTED FOR TRUFAX!

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

MakeAmazing said:

The gulf stream brings warmth to our shores in winter, something we lacked this year. I doubt it would effect solar panels too much as the gulf stream normally brings rain with it rather than sun. Wind and wave power would make more sense for the UK, to be backed up by some nuclear. 

Xbox One, PS4 and Switch (+ Many Retro Consoles)

'When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called the people's stick'- Mikhail Bakunin

Prediction: Switch will sell better than Wii U Lifetime Sales by Jan 1st 2018

Kantor said:
Kynes said:
Kantor said:
Kynes said:

Just out of curiosity. Would a normal user have been banned if s/he said what Mr Kahn said? The cynic on me wants to know it.

Probably not, no, but it's impossible to really tell unless that situation comes up itself.

It was, however, close to the line, and not the kind of language a moderator should be using. Axumblade and I are having a word with him.

It's good to know that for the moderation team is worse to say that someone is a fanboy than to say "Anyone who stands against that is a class traitor, and they were once dealt with appropriately, in a time when people were bolder." talking about another user.

Political discussions are always more heated, and it's explicit versus implied.

I know that I'm banging my head against a wall, but I can't accept that class warfare is considered less important than LGBT rights or racism, when class warfare is the main culprit of tens of millions of deaths on the last century. I'm sure that if someone said something like this "Anyone who stands against that is a traitor to heterosexuals, and they were once dealt with appropriately, in a time when people were bolder." or "Anyone who stands against that is a traitor to whites, and they were once dealt with appropriately, in a time when people were bolder." the outcome would be very different.

Soleron said:
MakeAmazing said:

Unfortunately the Gov didnt want to add £1 onto peoples bills to pay to upgrade the network, it took time and money from the monopoly to invest in it.

Let me get this straight.

You support a corporate telecom monopoly where they keep all the profits, but it's "unfortunate" that the STATE didn't pay for the upgrade? You are the reason we are in this public-private hybrid mess of unaccoutability.

Let me get THIS straight... I AM THE REASON WHY WERE IN THIS MESS.... seriously... sometimes I wonder about people on the internet.

Yes i support a monopoly but it's amazing how you suddenly read all of my thoughts on how that monopoly should be run from a single comment. Dont be so silly.