By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Yeah this whole "Milk" thing is bizarre to be honest. Scary that some people are celebrating her death because of milk.

Around the Network

Apparently the Wizard of Oz song 'Ding Dong the Witch is Dead' has entered the UK Top 40 Singles Chart and may hit number one spot-
http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/news/ding-dong-the-witch-is-dead-closer-to-number-one-spot-as-it-reaches-top-five-following-margaret-thatchers-death-8566042.html

There are those who are questioning whether the BBC should play it-
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/music/rockandpopmusic/9986928/Ding-Dong-The-Witch-Is-Dead-will-BBC-play-the-anti-Thatcher-song.html

There's a campaign to 'privatise' her funeral rather than let the State fund it as is the norm-
https://www.change.org/petitions/privatise-thatcher-s-funeral-it-s-what-she-would-have-wanted-sign-the-petition-to-say-you-agree

MikeRox said:

I think the MyVoice in today's I sums a lot of it up perfectly for me:

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/comment/grace-dent-thatchers-children-we-may-be-but-these-death-parties-are-just-childish-8567288.html

Some key excerpts:

I also question how, in 2013, one female with power during the 1980s appears to now be carrying the can for thousands of decisions made by thousands of men. 

Obviously, if you are genuinely an ex-miner or the family of one, the thought of you raising a glass to the end of a very painful era is wholly understandable. I wish you well. The truth is, of course, there is no end to this era. We’re almost precisely in the same state, government-wise, as we were. So, on the other hand, if you’re 25 and have the time and the gumption to stand about in Brixton waving a bottle of prosecco, your time could be used more profitably by doing actual work in politics. The left needs passionate young blood right now. And if you’re still so very angry about milk being snatched in the 1970s – well, believe me, schoolchildren are starving right now and this ire could be used to get milk reinstated.

In fact if you’re truly so angry about Thatcher’s legacy you might have noticed there isn’t time for any parties. Celebrating death seems to me rather childish, when there’s adult work to be done.

I've not celebrated her death as I don't agree with that practice.  Unfortunately some people just feel that's acceptable such is their hatred for the person.  If you remember when Bin Laden died, people celebrated the fact but what made that celebration acceptable to people?  To me it was that he was so hated that it was acceptable to feel jubiliation at his passing.  For these people who are celebrating Thatcher's death you have a similar level of hate towards her as a person.

My point was it wasn't fair for people to act like the pain and hardship she caused didn't happen or matter.  I'm sick of reading from people who were unaffected by the miners strikes how it was somehow everybody else fault but Thatcher's.  Anyway, I can't wait till she's buried and we stop hearing about how fantastic she was for the country (well Southern England).

There is a big difference between celebrating the death of someone who killed/murdered people and some one who might have made policies that god forbid some people didn't like.

There was an interview on the radio a few days ago with Tony Blair, and the interviewer asked him if he felt his death might be celebrated (pretty bad question to ask someone but hey ho)... and you know what, I am sure there will be some fools who are unable to move on with their lives and will do that.

kowenicki said:
slowmo said:
MikeRox said:

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/comment/grace-dent-thatchers-children-we-may-be-but-these-death-parties-are-just-childish-8567288.html

Some key excerpts:

I also question how, in 2013, one female with power during the 1980s appears to now be carrying the can for thousands of decisions made by thousands of men. 

Obviously, if you are genuinely an ex-miner or the family of one, the thought of you raising a glass to the end of a very painful era is wholly understandable. I wish you well. The truth is, of course, there is no end to this era. We’re almost precisely in the same state, government-wise, as we were. So, on the other hand, if you’re 25 and have the time and the gumption to stand about in Brixton waving a bottle of prosecco, your time could be used more profitably by doing actual work in politics. The left needs passionate young blood right now. And if you’re still so very angry about milk being snatched in the 1970s – well, believe me, schoolchildren are starving right now and this ire could be used to get milk reinstated.

In fact if you’re truly so angry about Thatcher’s legacy you might have noticed there isn’t time for any parties. Celebrating death seems to me rather childish, when there’s adult work to be done.

I've not celebrated her death as I don't agree with that practice.  Unfortunately some people just feel that's acceptable such is their hatred for the person.  If you remember when Bin Laden died, people celebrated the fact but what made that celebration acceptable to people?  To me it was that he was so hated that it was acceptable to feel jubiliation at his passing.  For these people who are celebrating Thatcher's death you have a similar level of hate towards her as a person.

My point was it wasn't fair for people to act like the pain and hardship she caused didn't happen or matter.  I'm sick of reading from people who were unaffected by the miners strikes how it was somehow everybody else fault but Thatcher's.  Anyway, I can't wait till she's buried and we stop hearing about how fantastic she was for the country (well Southern England).

And you need to stop saying that all people affected by her hated her.  It isn't true.  I am from the North, my family was affected by her... we did somehting about it.  Nobody is sying it didnt happen or didnt matter... we are saying it pretty much HAD to happen.  How ever bad you think things have been in your lifetime and recently, you need to multiply it many time for how bad things were in the late 70's in the UK.  Unburied dead people, rubbish piling up all over the counrty, regular power cuts daily, the 4 day week, going to the IMF for a bail out... we were utterly fucked.

She won 3 general elections, with 54%, 61% and 58% share of votes... this isnt just the south, this isnt just the wealthy.  Its a ridiculous thing to say.

Comparing Bin Laden and Thatcher is pretty silly.  How many elections did he win in a democratic process with a mandate to bomb people?

Where are you getting these numbers? More like 44%, 42% and 42 %

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/special/politics97/background/pastelec/ge87.shtml

The myths flying around about her success and popularity are staggering.

Also he didn't compare the two people, he compared the reactions to their deaths.

Around the Network
MakeAmazing said:
There is a big difference between celebrating the death of someone who killed/murdered people and some one who might have made policies that god forbid some people didn't like.

There was an interview on the radio a few days ago with Tony Blair, and the interviewer asked him if he felt his death might be celebrated (pretty bad question to ask someone but hey ho)... and you know what, I am sure there will be some fools who are unable to move on with their lives and will do that.

You mean the people who've lost relatives and had their lives utterly devastated because of him? I know, get over it already!

Personally I think best thing to do is read different viewpoints on her merits and failures.

http://www.economist.com/news/briefing/21576081-margaret-thatcher-britains-prime-minister-1979-1990-died-april-8th-age - Mentions how she got 'lucky' with being able to push through the reforms she felt the country needed i.e Falklands War (her popularity soared afterwards) and North Sea oil revenues (16% of GDP). A very pro-Thatcher article.

http://williambowles.info/2013/04/12/the-ironic-lady-margaret-thatcher-supposed-champion-of-freedom-and-democracy-and-her-dictator-friends-by-nima-shirazi/ - Maggie the lover of freedom and democracy...when it suited her. She was friends with a lot of dictators.

http://news.liveandinvestoverseas.com/Politics/prime-minister-margaret-thatcher-the-pros-and-cons.html

slowmo said:
MikeRox said:

Some key excerpts:

I'm presuming the post is mainly not aimed at the article I was linking. (Writen by a northern left leaning journalist - posted on here by a Yorkshire citizen born and bred) but like I said, I see both sides to the argument. I think it wasn't so much what was done in the Thatcher era, but the way they went about it.

There was no compassion and no support at all for the people impacted it. I'm now deeply routed in brass banding, so I really do have a lot of links to that era even if I was only a little tyke at the time. Brassed off still manages to bring a tear to my eye, and I advise anyone who thinks it was all roses in the 80s to watch that film as it gives a fantastic look at the impact which Thatcher's policies had on particularly northern communities.

However would I want to be in 70s Britain? Hell no! When I say about all the politicians since thatcher. They have had plenty of opportunity especially in the late 90s to reinvigorate these communities, they also did naff all. Point is, Thatcher did it, no other politicians reversed or even attempted to reverse it. Blair/Brown actually went even further into "Thatcherism" than Thatcher did. They just also bled money into benefits to appease the communities making them slaves to welfare rather than doing anything constructive to give new hope and purpose.

As for the current employment problems. Unemployment is quite high, but employment is also at a record. Could it be more to do with immigration that unemployment is so high at the moment? (I'm not against immigration at all, this is just an observation). Our population is a lot higher now as a result of immigration and so obviously this creates a bigger demand for jobs than there was in the 80s and 90s because quite simply, there are more working age people.

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

After reading this I can see why some despise her.

http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm201213/cmhansrd/cm130410/debtext/130410-0002.htm

"Ding Dong the Witch is Dead" could be the UK Number 1 this week.