By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Wii finally loses its lead in the UK.

Well done Microsoft.

Around the Network
Laurel Aitken said:
BluGamer23 said:
Osc89 said:
BluGamer23 said:

lol its like celebrating a race where the winner has already crossed their finish line and the competition still running.. and eventually passes the resting wii.. coz its next racer wiiu is already running the next race lol

Another way to see it.. think of it as a relay race .. the wii is done and have already passed on the baton to wiiU.

Enjoy ms fans!.. but yeh nobody cares about the wii amymore

So the Wii U can still win 8th-gen! All Nintendo have to do is release the successor a couple of days after the PS4 and 720 are out. We can can all laugh at silly Microsoft and Sony, fighting a battle Nintendo has already won.

But anyway, good for 360 and Microsoft.

uhm no clearly you dont understand.. its a new race dropping out early means forfeiting ...  " crossed their finish line "  Typically Nintendo's finish line is 5-6 years.. they dont try anymore after that..  

If they released a new console after the wiiU.. within the first 2 years.. then clearly they forfeit the race..  and lose! 

hard logic to follow for you?

More like dumb logic.

I see.. its too hard.. dont try anymore you might hurt yourself

Mnementh said:
kowenicki said:
VGKing said:
Didn't know the UK market was that small.....that's about the same amount of PS3s sold in Japan which is not many.
What's the second largest EU market? Is UK seriously the biggest?

Small? Lol

In the UK 62m people buy approx 23m home consoles.

in Japan 127m people buy approx 23m home consoles.

And yes... It's by far the biggest console market in Europe.  France is second with approx 13m, some 10m behind.

The UK is essentially the joint second largest home console market on the planet with Japan this gen.

It's sad that germany is even behind France. germany has the biggest population and the biggest economy in europe, so it should be the biggest market. But somehow videogaming has a bad reputation over here, so it ends up on the third place.

Germany is a bigger market than France by quite a bit actually. Just not when you only look at consoles.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=156946

BluGamer23 said:

lol its like celebrating a race where the winner has already crossed their finish line and the competition still running.. and eventually passes the resting wii.. coz its next racer wiiu is already running the next race lol

Another way to see it.. think of it as a relay race .. the wii is done and have already passed on the baton to wiiU.

Enjoy ms fans!.. but yeh nobody cares about the wii amymore

There is no finish line in a sales race. This argument is born of bunk logic. Remove your goggles and think for a moment.

It's akin to an endurance competition - when all runners have stopped running as far as they can, we measure to see who ran the farthest. 

kowenicki said:

This is about taking 1st place in a market and therefore "Winning" that market.

You want congrats for being second?  When they have the biggest install base in a region I will be the first to congratulate them.  I predicted they would achieve this long before any sony fan here.  I'm consistent.

It's an exceptionally convenient stance to take that being first in any given region is worthy of praise while being second overall is not, but you're correct that you've been consistent with it.  

Around the Network
Torillian said:
kowenicki said:

You want congrats for being second?  When they have the biggest install base in a region I will be the first to congratulate them.  I predicted they would achieve this long before any sony fan here.  I'm consistent.

It's an exceptionally convenient stance to take that being first in any given region is worthy of praise while being second overall is not, but you're correct that you've been consistent with it.  

But it is the truth,  Being first mean something, being second I don't know...  They would not say we are the second best.. because that sound silly or we did better than X because that would sound arrogant..

Anyway it is not that big of deal,  software sales the X360 will surpass the DS or Wii anytime?

Lostplanet22 said:
Torillian said:
kowenicki said:

But it is the truth,  Being first mean something, being second I don't know...  They would not say we are the second best.. because that sound silly or we did better than X because that would sound arrogant..

Anyway it is not that big of deal,  software sales the X360 will surpass the DS or Wii anytime?

And that's the way you think about it, while I think where things rank up when the whole world is included is just as important as getting first in a single country.  Of course, that can be thought of as a very convenient stance as well, and I do find it striking how clear the line is between people on either side of this question and general feelings on the two platforms.  

Lostplanet22 said:
Torillian said:
kowenicki said:

They also wouldn't say "we beat our competition in UK only" because that is extremely weak and really unimportant.

What we don't know is how many people have both consoles and how many have bought multiple copies (for upgrades, repairs, replacements) of either consoles.

Still 8M is not to be sneezed at. That is in the range of what the Saturn and Dreamcast did WORLDWIDE.

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

kowenicki said:
Torillian said:

if the PS3 was first... then to most people here second would be nowhere.

I dont understand your thought process here, but thats just my view.

When the PS3 takes Europe... as it will,  then I will congratulate it.  It will finish 3rd in the US and probably 2nd in Japan.

I think your stance is the convenent one.  Most people in most situations congratulate people/things/teams that finish first, not second.  People remember first.

Oh... I should ignore the fact that my school made it to the sweet sixteen 3 years in a row and elite eight this year because it's unimportant and nothing worth a congradulations for since they didn't win the championship. Let me go up to vander blue and tell him his effort didn't matter a bit and he should feel like a loser,