By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - How does one play XBox 360 Indie games not connected to Internet?

Just saw some gameplay footage of Murder Miners. That game looks awesome. Minecraft + Halo.

gameplay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRP06-kSAeE
That one is extremely funny (nerd rage): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcYDJhHb-Jo

Also Penny Arcade's On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness 3 is on the service (the first 2 games were on XBLA/PSN/Steam). Part 4 is coming as well.

Breath of Death VII and Cthulhu Saves the World are two famous XBL indie RPGs.
Many 2D zombie shooters such as  I MAED A GAM3 W1TH Z0MBIES 1N IT!!!1 and Dead Pixels
Minecraft clones (but also expanding the idea) like CastleMiner Z, Total Miner Forge, Fortresscraft etc.
Lots of SHMUPS and more

Around the Network

I guess the answer is you can't, but there are plenty of fun games!

My favorites are 'Solar', and 'Solar 2.' 'Try not to Fart' is hilarious. a funny game where a dude is on a date, and he is trying to toot and thus offend his date - and the staff of say the restaurant.

'Techo Kitty Adventure' is just crazy and worth a look.

Really not sure I see any point of Consol over PC's since Kinect, Wii and other alternative ways to play have been abandoned. 

Top 50 'most fun' game list coming soon!

Tell me a funny joke!

Yes you can. If you had to be online to play them would be like if you were renting them, you already purchased the game so you have to be able to play it whenever you want, it would be dumb if there was some kind of rule that forced you to stay online to play the games you already paye. . . (...) ...

i wish they would have stricter rules for what gets approved to be on there. the poor quality of so many games made me even stop looking at them

"I like my steaks how i like my women.  Bloody and all over my face"

"Its like sex, but with a winner!"

MrBubbles Review Threads: Bill Gates, Jak II, Kingdom Hearts II, The Strangers, Sly 2, Crackdown, Zohan, Quarantine, Klungo Sssavesss Teh World, MS@E3'08, WATCHMEN(movie), Shadow of the Colossus, The Saboteur

MrBubbles said:
i wish they would have stricter rules for what gets approved to be on there. the poor quality of so many games made me even stop looking at them

But how ?
These games are too insignificant for reviewers (or even game rating boards) and if Microsoft would need to hire people to check if they aren't crap, expect the games to be twice as expensive.

Citing Wikipedia:

"Peer Review – Indie Games must undergo peer review before they are released to the service. These are performed by other developers on the Indie Games service, who review the game for unacceptable content, game instability, and other factors that would be detrimental for wide release on the service, though these reviewers do not attempt to qualify the quality of the game itself. Reviewers also provided suggested content ratings for the games, similar to the submission phase. Games require multiple trusted reviews before they are released. Rejected games can be resubmitted using feedback provided by the reviewers."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xbox_Live_Indie_Games

Imagine if other developers would deny a game release because of a lack of quality. They are already competitors, but that would totally destroy the working atmosphere.

As for the games, why don't you just sort the games by ratings, total downloads, daily downloads or release date ?
Ignore anything that's 3 stars and below and download the trial for the rest.

http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Games/XboxIndieGames?page=1&sortby=ReleaseDate

Make sure to use the American site as this has more ratings.

Around the Network
richardhutnik said:
Wright said:
Barozi said:
Wright said:
Any Indie game can be played offline.

Thing is, you can only play them offline in the console you first purchased it. If you moved into a new Xbox, yet downloaded the game again, the only way the console has to confirm you're indeed the person which owns that game is by being connected. If not, the game turns into a trial mode instead.

You can move your purchased rights into any Xbox console, though. So just do it, and next time you turn the thing on, you can play Indie's offline.

Really ?
I can't even start the trial mode offline for any XBLIG.

No. Screw what I've just said. I misunderstood this was Arcade, not Indie.

Indie games can only be played online, sorry.

Yep, indie games.  That is the issue.  I had thought maybe I saw something.  So, you are seeing Microsoft implementing what is being talked about for the next XBox console already.  Bluntly, it sucks.

From what i know you can play it offline after start the game,no 3 mins rule here

Btw they already did that long time,don't think it related always-on,especially most Xbox Live countries can't even buy indie games

There are plenty of Hidden gems in the idie section. Watch "It Came From Xbox Live!" on Gamespot. You will be amazed how many great games there actually are. Go play Hidden in Plain Sight, fucking love that game.

PullusPardus said:
richardhutnik said:
PullusPardus said:

Why the hell do you even want to play those crappy games? , I'd not play any of them if they were free.

Sorry, I would rather play the likes of Miner DIg Deep and Mommy's Best Games than Duke Nukem Forever.  Why?  Because they show some innovation, and an earnest effort to do something new and different at least.  I want to play them, because they are of value to me.  I also resent you questioning my tastes here. I also have a program M2AF which allows me to message my entire friend list, saving a bunch of time.

not really, I've not seen innovation , only very crappy Flash-like games with random pictures of cats or generic looking characters, nothing on there is worth it.

You can check out Mommy's Best Games here:

http://mommysbestgames.com/

They went on from really good Indie game stuff to actually do XBLA stuff.  You have had professionals in the industry developing stuff.  Cutting to the quick, you can think of Mommy's stuff akin to Psygnosis's stuff they did on the Amiga.

And go look up Miner Dig Deep.  It is an addictive and smaller title, good in its own right.  Best to think of it as an mining arcade simulator.

Lostplanet22 said:

In enjoyed this three,  first one is penny arcade RPG,  the next one is DLC quest,  it is basically a joke from the game where you have to buy everything,  pause screen, music,  animations, enemies etc.

The last on is arcadecraft,  you basically create your own arcade, rent a place have to buy the best games for you arcade, vending machines etc..   You will not last tens of hours with them but that is also why they are under the price of 3$...

Glad you put Arcadecraft up.  That is an awesome game that fullfills the dream of anyone who ever wanted to run their own arcade.