By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Major Nelson: Official Statement on what was said yesterday (aka "always-on connection rumors"

@Adinnieken

Errr, this is with the assumption that the console requires online capabilities in order to function! The dial-up statement was to back up my point that not everybody has sufficient internet for this functionality. I did not state that those systems supported dial-up nor did I imply it. I'm not talking about the 360 or the PS3 at all, and this issue is not one that these consoles share, however to say it isn't out there is ignorant. Some new games are using this technique as does steam to a certain extent (if you don't have your password remembered in the steam client you cannot access anything).

I understand you are a MS fan and that is certainly fine, however covering your head to the possibility of these rumors being true doesn't make the issue go away. As I said before, the only way we will know is once the console is actually released.

Gotta figure out how to set these up lol.

Around the Network
NobleTeam360 said:
richardhutnik said:
NobleTeam360 said:
Why would they confirm or deny something in a random press release.

You equate information by employee that is driving away customers with a "random press release"?  Any company that would do a press release like this would fire their customer relations management for putting that out.

Fine it's not random still why would they confirm it in a press release?

That was on Major Nelson's blog.  Major Nelson is community and major mouthpiece and voice to the XBox community.  It makes sense that he is one of the sources to announce this.  When you want something slightly undder to the world, that is meant to calm the XBox community from panic, you have him do it.

And I read what you wrote as Microsoft responding to some sort of random press release.  What was said by Orthy isn't some sort of press release, but the opinions of one manager in their company, that showed signs of how Microsoft is thinking actually, which is troubling.  This concern is why they decided to have Major Nelso speak, and say nothing... outside of not confirm it.  I am sure Microsoft is floating trial balloons out there regarding this.  Consider Orthy a trial balloon.

Adinnieken said:
JoeTheBro said:
Adinnieken said:

It may have appeared he was being glib with a potential customer, but instead he was being sarcastic with a writer with BioWare that I'm sure he has a work relationship with.  The writer even has acknowledged that what was said between two people (i.e. a conversation) was taken out of context and not everything said was actually included in the original article.

DRM = Digital Rights Management.  DRM includes licensing.  Currently, any software purchased through Xbox LIVE includes two licenses.  A device license and a user license.  If content is downloaded to a console, it is licensed to that console, which allows any user on that device (at the time it was licensed) to play the game.  The user license allows that user to use the content regardless of the device, so long as they're connected to Xbox LIVE.  So if the device license and the user license do not match up, the user must be connected to Xbox LIVE. 

If Microsoft was to implement DRM from a retail disc standpoint, it could still generate a DRM license for the device and user all off-line, then confirm that license online. 

He also tweeted to an average joe @theonlyalexw

And thus the nature and problem with stating an opinion as a representative of a company. 

Regardless, he's not stating that the Xbox 8 will feature always on/always connected functionality.  He's asking why people have such a big problem with it.   

Having said that, he may not know the plans of the Xbox division.  They're not even in the same building.  He may only truly be able to speak about what Microsoft Games Studio is doing or for that matter what he is working on.  Even then he'd be covered under NDA, so he wouldn't be able to. 

Agreed. This mostly just shows that he wasn't just joking around with the EA person.

Dusk said:

@Adinnieken

Errr, this is with the assumption that the console requires online capabilities in order to function! The dial-up statement was to back up my point that not everybody has sufficient internet for this functionality. I did not state that those systems supported dial-up nor did I imply it. I'm not talking about the 360 or the PS3 at all, and this issue is not one that these consoles share, however to say it isn't out there is ignorant. Some new games are using this technique as does steam to a certain extent (if you don't have your password remembered in the steam client you cannot access anything).

I understand you are a MS fan and that is certainly fine, however covering your head to the possibility of these rumors being true doesn't make the issue go away. As I said before, the only way we will know is once the console is actually released.

I don't disagree with the assessment that some games use a always connected DRM. 

The rumor that Microsoft may use it on the Xbox 8 was begun by Stephen Totilio when he made a hypothesis.  There is no support for the rumor other than people not directly working on content saying it is true.

The Edge:
http://www.edge-online.com/news/the-next-xbox-always-online-no-second-hand-games-50gb-blu-ray-discs-and-new-kinect/
"Microsoft’s next console will require an Internet connection in order to function, ruling out a second-hand game market for the platform." 

Except from SuperDae:
http://kotaku.com/5982986/we-know-all-about-the-next-xbox-from-someone-who-says-theyve-got-one
"SuperDaE, for example, offered nothing about the machine's name nor the look of the console or controller. He said nothing about the idea of the new Xbox requiring a constant online connection, something most recently reported by the respected Edge magazine."

Most recently:
http://kotaku.com/the-next-xbox-will-require-an-internet-connection-to-st-470062456
"That said, a caution and a caveat: other sources familiar with the codenamed Durango console have told us that they are still unaware of any Microsoft plans regarding an online requirement."

Again, the way the Xbox 360 currently operates is if the content isn't licensed for the particular machine, the user will need to log on to Xbox LIVE to use the content.  That functionality WILL NOT CHANGE with the Xbox 8.

If these people have taken developer kits and replaced them with new kits, exchanging HDDs or redownloading content, they will not have a license transfer for the machine.  That is an entirely different process.

So NO I'm not a fan boy defending Microsoft.  I'm telling you HOW the system works and that NO ONE of significance, nor willing to come forward publically, has stated that the rumor, which again was begun by a Kotaku Editor and has blown up since then. 

My friend linked me to this gif

Around the Network
richardhutnik said:
NobleTeam360 said:
richardhutnik said:
NobleTeam360 said:

You equate information by employee that is driving away customers with a "random press release"?  Any company that would do a press release like this would fire their customer relations management for putting that out.

That was on Major Nelson's blog.  Major Nelson is community and major mouthpiece and voice to the XBox community.  It makes sense that he is one of the sources to announce this.  When you want something slightly undder to the world, that is meant to calm the XBox community from panic, you have him do it.

And I read what you wrote as Microsoft responding to some sort of random press release.  What was said by Orthy isn't some sort of press release, but the opinions of one manager in their company, that showed signs of how Microsoft is thinking actually, which is troubling.  This concern is why they decided to have Major Nelso speak, and say nothing... outside of not confirm it.  I am sure Microsoft is floating trial balloons out there regarding this.  Consider Orthy a trial balloon.

That's why he will be fired,i bet

I don't think MS have any tolerate for that,he just maybe ruined MS's announce plan and make MS on a very bad position

Thats all over SonyGaf ^^

I just went through the tweets that Orth guy sent and I gotta say, what a bleeping idiot.

I still can't see Microsoft doing "always-on" but since they aren't denying anything...
Anyways, this was your typical "saving face" kind of response from microsoft, playing it safe really. People are getting feisty though. May can't come soon enough.

"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian

richardhutnik said:
NobleTeam360 said:
richardhutnik said:
NobleTeam360 said:

SMH NVM. 

Nsanity said:
Thats all over SonyGaf ^^

SonyGaf ? I'm sorry but that's a low blow for something above individual preferences that essentially translates to how we are treated as customers.