By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Music Discussion - Lady Gaga said no to $1 million to sing at Republican Convention

NintendoPie said:
TruckOSaurus said:

She's built a big part of her image of the defense of gay rights, she campaigned for marriage equality in the state New York, her latest album had songs addressing gay issues (and other issues), taking positions that are opposite to those of the GOP so for her to sing at the GOP convention would have made her a complete hypocrite.

Well, you could call her a hypocrite for that, but I wouldn't. She is mainly a performer, afterall. That is her job, even if she might not totally agree with where she might've done it at. (Don't take me the wrong way, though, Trucks. I think it's great that Gaga pushed this event away! More celebs should take into consideration of why or why not they really want to perform for a certain place.)

It's part of her central performing bit, so it's far more than just for entertainment... it'd be like a Hipster musician going against Hipster ideas... or a Hippie from the 60s, singing and buildling their entire vocabulary, identity and music on the mantra of "Love & Peace" and then going pro-war and pro-military all the sudden... a lot more contrast there.

I don't mind her music, however, adding the pro-LGBT and 'support the cause' stuff is how she stays relevant. The other outrageous bits is how she keeps in the news. ...Remember the meat dress? If you were just an entertainer, the moment you stop becoming entertaining (which is so quick in that industry), you become irrelevant... however, if you become a 'symbol' then well, your bulb burns a lot brighter and longer and you have a following... I do think that she is obligated to continue to support and prop her base, since they more or less made her and she is helping make them... to do otherwise would be wholely dishonest. However, personally, if she changed her mind tomorrow, eh I'm gonna stop supporting gay rights and turn on my base for the $...I don't think it would stop the movement in it's tracks, so it's not like I would care or get upset.

Around the Network
Marucha said:
JoeTheBro said:
Marucha said:
NintendoPie said:
Marucha said:

The gay community is largely credited for her fame. They are the people who made her famous, and in a way, I guess that is what keeps her famous (or at least relevant in my eyes). I remember her being somewhat famous (dance music famous which is notable) and then suddenly exploded in popularity... I was a little surprised but I could be wrong about the timing. It's just how it seemed to have went from what I had noticed.

I know she is a major beacon with Gay people, so I see what you're saying. But still, I can't imagine her fanbase to be that sensitive over her performing at this Convention.

It would be a huge slap in the face if she betrayed "her community" and supported a politics that ultimately hates and wants to make sure that that community can never get married, have equal rights, have a voice etc... I agree that it's probably not going to completely demolish her career, but it would be a huge liability. Even if the community doesn't get pissed off enough, I'm sure the Media would inflate it for the ratings.

Also, it's too easy to underestimate the Equality movement.. it's been pretty vocal and active I think. I have two friends who are transexual, one was a BFF in high school, and the Houston has a large active LGBT community... I have plenty of friends who participate in the parades or at least are very vocal "for" the movement here in Texas and some of them are huge Lady Gaga fans. The community here I considered very active 10 years ago, but it's only much moreso now. It's just crazy that my friends used to be so afraid to come out or were at least in denial and now they just come out like it's nobody's business... didn't used to be that easy for them I think.

Edit: I think Lady Gaga started off in the gay clubs/community performing and was how she promoted herself... that would at least explain the dance music fame and then the subsequent explosion to me.

But why is this the issue being focused on? Lady Gaga is a Hollywood celebrity so of course she's a Democrat. Narrowing the factors down to LGBT issues is ludicrous. Also republicans don't hate "the community."

Look at Trunk's post above yours. If you don't get it, I don't know what to tell you :(

Not every Hollywood Celebrity is Democrat BTW. Maybe significantly so, but not all.

Yeah but this is a Republican convention, not an anti LGBT convention.

Also I know they all aren't, just 90% of them. Actual stat. Meanwhile only around 40% of Republicans are against LGBT. http://articles.latimes.com/2012/jul/16/opinion/la-oe-lampo-gop-gay-rights-20120716

JoeTheBro said:
Marucha said:
JoeTheBro said:
Marucha said:
NintendoPie said:
Marucha said:

The gay community is largely credited for her fame. They are the people who made her famous, and in a way, I guess that is what keeps her famous (or at least relevant in my eyes). I remember her being somewhat famous (dance music famous which is notable) and then suddenly exploded in popularity... I was a little surprised but I could be wrong about the timing. It's just how it seemed to have went from what I had noticed.

I know she is a major beacon with Gay people, so I see what you're saying. But still, I can't imagine her fanbase to be that sensitive over her performing at this Convention.

It would be a huge slap in the face if she betrayed "her community" and supported a politics that ultimately hates and wants to make sure that that community can never get married, have equal rights, have a voice etc... I agree that it's probably not going to completely demolish her career, but it would be a huge liability. Even if the community doesn't get pissed off enough, I'm sure the Media would inflate it for the ratings.

Also, it's too easy to underestimate the Equality movement.. it's been pretty vocal and active I think. I have two friends who are transexual, one was a BFF in high school, and the Houston has a large active LGBT community... I have plenty of friends who participate in the parades or at least are very vocal "for" the movement here in Texas and some of them are huge Lady Gaga fans. The community here I considered very active 10 years ago, but it's only much moreso now. It's just crazy that my friends used to be so afraid to come out or were at least in denial and now they just come out like it's nobody's business... didn't used to be that easy for them I think.

Edit: I think Lady Gaga started off in the gay clubs/community performing and was how she promoted herself... that would at least explain the dance music fame and then the subsequent explosion to me.

But why is this the issue being focused on? Lady Gaga is a Hollywood celebrity so of course she's a Democrat. Narrowing the factors down to LGBT issues is ludicrous. Also republicans don't hate "the community."

Look at Trunk's post above yours. If you don't get it, I don't know what to tell you :(

Not every Hollywood Celebrity is Democrat BTW. Maybe significantly so, but not all.

Yeah but this is a Republican convention, not an anti LGBT convention.

Also I know they all aren't, just 90% of them. Actual stat. Meanwhile only around 40% of Republicans are against LGBT. http://articles.latimes.com/2012/jul/16/opinion/la-oe-lampo-gop-gay-rights-20120716

I don't know how the stats change anything. Republicans don't generally run on pro-LGBT rights, in fact it's usually the complete opposite. To the average person, maybe political affiliation doesn't have the same stark contrast (I tend to vote as Independent), but for most LGBT folk I don't think they would want to be seen as voting for a party that goes against their interests/rights...

carlos3189 said:
She's just great, legit and smart!

She has common sense. A million dollars probably isn't shit to her. She would have to deal with the intolerance of the left.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

TruckOSaurus said:
She would have destroyed her career had she appeared at the GOP convention so 1 million was not worth it.

This, it was just a career move.

If she had no money, this would be bigger news.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network
PlaystaionGamer said:
She is so talented and I think it's fantastic she would stand by her beliefs over money.
Although seeing she has 2 tours In the top 30 of all time grossing over $500,000,000 + her huge album sales and merchandising she must have (as a brand) made over $1.000,000,000 so 1mil is nothing for her

Sorry to break it to you, mate, but that's far from the case. Madonna just became a billionaire after a few decades of touring and far better album sales. Hell, even Britney has been on the spotlight for more than a decade and forbes claim that she has a little over 100m. If you take into account tour expenses, taxes, daily expenses etc, they make far less than it seems. 

Chris Hu said:
Chark said:
She should has said yes and trolled them.

I think Clint Eastwood did her job.

Aww, come on man.  You don't think playing inquisitor to an invisible Obama, or a chair, isn't a good thing?

TruckOSaurus said:
outlawauron said:
TruckOSaurus said:
She would have destroyed her career had she appeared at the GOP convention so 1 million was not worth it.

lol. That is just hilarious to me. Nothing would have happened. I highly doubt her appearance would have stopped any gay bar from playing her songs or even her fans to suddenly burn her albums.

I imagine the backlash would have been similar to what happened when the Dixie Chicks said they were ashamed George W. Bush was from Texas (and yes it did involve some album burning).

That's a pretty bad analogy. Up until last year, the Democratic party didn't support gay marriage. That didn't stop anyone earlier. Also, there are gay Republicans. I know you may find it hard to believe, but they exist.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

naruball said:
PlaystaionGamer said:
She is so talented and I think it's fantastic she would stand by her beliefs over money.
Although seeing she has 2 tours In the top 30 of all time grossing over $500,000,000 + her huge album sales and merchandising she must have (as a brand) made over $1.000,000,000 so 1mil is nothing for her

Sorry to break it to you, mate, but that's far from the case. Madonna just became a billionaire after a few decades of touring and far better album sales. Hell, even Britney has been on the spotlight for more than a decade and forbes claim that she has a little over 100m. If you take into account tour expenses, taxes, daily expenses etc, they make far less than it seems. 

I'm talking about Brand Gaga not her herself. 

Marucha said:
NintendoPie said:
Marucha said:

Oh man, I don't have to read further. I'm curious as to know where you get this perception of reality from.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.