By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Music Discussion - Lady Gaga said no to $1 million to sing at Republican Convention

She is a Democrat? I had no I idea.

Around the Network
NintendoPie said:
Marucha said:

The gay community is largely credited for her fame. They are the people who made her famous, and in a way, I guess that is what keeps her famous (or at least relevant in my eyes). I remember her being somewhat famous (dance music famous which is notable) and then suddenly exploded in popularity... I was a little surprised but I could be wrong about the timing. It's just how it seemed to have went from what I had noticed.

I know she is a major beacon with Gay people, so I see what you're saying. But still, I can't imagine her fanbase to be that sensitive over her performing at this Convention.

It would be a huge slap in the face if she betrayed "her community" and supported a politics that ultimately hates and wants to make sure that that community can never get married, have equal rights, have a voice etc... I agree that it's probably not going to completely demolish her career, but it would be a huge liability. Even if the community doesn't get pissed off enough, I'm sure the Media would inflate it for the ratings.

Also, it's too easy to underestimate the Equality movement.. it's been pretty vocal and active I think. I have two friends who are transexual, one was a BFF in high school, and the Houston has a large active LGBT community... I have plenty of friends who participate in the parades or at least are very vocal "for" the movement here in Texas and some of them are huge Lady Gaga fans. The community here I considered very active 10 years ago, but it's only much moreso now. It's just crazy that my friends used to be so afraid to come out or were at least in denial and now they just come out like it's nobody's business... didn't used to be that easy for them I think.

Edit: I think Lady Gaga started off in the gay clubs/community performing and was how she promoted herself... that would at least explain the dance music fame and then the subsequent explosion to me.

The amount isn't that lucrative. It's Lady Gaga we're talking about, she earns a couple million per concert.

NintendoPie said:
Marucha said:

The gay community is largely credited for her fame. They are the people who made her famous, and in a way, I guess that is what keeps her famous (or at least relevant in my eyes). I remember her being somewhat famous (dance music famous which is notable) and then suddenly exploded in popularity... I was a little surprised but I could be wrong about the timing. It's just how it seemed to have went from what I had noticed.

I know she is a major beacon with Gay people, so I see what you're saying. But still, I can't imagine her fanbase to be that sensitive over her performing at this Convention.

She's built a big part of her image of the defense of gay rights, she campaigned for marriage equality in the state New York, her latest album had songs addressing gay issues (and other issues), taking positions that are opposite to those of the GOP so for her to sing at the GOP convention would have made her a complete hypocrite.

Signature goes here!

Marucha said:
NintendoPie said:
Marucha said:

It would be a huge slap in the face if she betrayed "her community" and supported a politics that ultimately hates and wants to make sure that that community can never get married, have equal rights, have a voice etc... I agree that it's probably not going to completely demolish her career, but it would be a huge liability. Even if the community doesn't get pissed off enough, I'm sure the Media would inflate it for the ratings.

Also, it's too easy to underestimate the Equality movement.. it's been pretty vocal and active I think. I have two friends who are transexual, one was a BFF in high school, and the Houston has a large active LGBT community... I have plenty of friends who participate in the parades or at least are very vocal "for" the movement here in Texas and some of them are huge Lady Gaga fans. The community here I considered very active 10 years ago, but it's only much moreso now. It's just crazy that my friends used to be so afraid to come out or were at least in denial and now they just come out like it's nobody's business... didn't used to be that easy for them I think.

Edit: I think Lady Gaga started off in the gay clubs/community performing and was how she promoted herself... that would at least explain the dance music fame and then the subsequent explosion to me.

But why is this the issue being focused on? Lady Gaga is a Hollywood celebrity so of course she's a Democrat. Narrowing the factors down to LGBT issues is ludicrous. Also republicans don't hate "the community."

Around the Network
TruckOSaurus said:

She's built a big part of her image of the defense of gay rights, she campaigned for marriage equality in the state New York, her latest album had songs addressing gay issues (and other issues), taking positions that are opposite to those of the GOP so for her to sing at the GOP convention would have made her a complete hypocrite.

Well, you could call her a hypocrite for that, but I wouldn't. She is mainly a performer, afterall. That is her job, even if she might not totally agree with where she might've done it at. (Don't take me the wrong way, though, Trucks. I think it's great that Gaga pushed this event away! More celebs should take into consideration of why or why not they really want to perform for a certain place.)

She is so talented and I think it's fantastic she would stand by her beliefs over money.
Although seeing she has 2 tours In the top 30 of all time grossing over $500,000,000 + her huge album sales and merchandising she must have (as a brand) made over $1.000,000,000 so 1mil is nothing for her

JoeTheBro said:
Marucha said:
NintendoPie said:
Marucha said:

But why is this the issue being focused on? Lady Gaga is a Hollywood celebrity so of course she's a Democrat. Narrowing the factors down to LGBT issues is ludicrous. Also republicans don't hate "the community."

Look at Trunk's post above yours. If you don't get it, I don't know what to tell you :(

Not every Hollywood Celebrity is Democrat BTW. Maybe significantly so, but not all.

PlaystaionGamer said:
She is so talented and I think it's fantastic she would stand by her beliefs over money.
Although seeing she has 2 tours In the top 30 of all time grossing over $500,000,000 + her huge album sales and merchandising she must have (as a brand) made over $1.000,000,000 so 1mil is nothing for her

Who had the top tour of last year?

tonymarraffa said:
PlaystaionGamer said:

Who had the top tour of last year?

Madonna with her MDNA Tour.

Signature goes here!