By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Music Discussion - Lady Gaga said no to $1 million to sing at Republican Convention

It seems that the Fame Monster, Lady Gaga, does not like fame, or money, enough to spurn her political beliefs. A report in the Washington Examiner today said Gaga declined to play at the Republican National Convention (RNC) for a lucrative amount.

Gaga supports many causes not consistent with GOP views, such as same-sex marriage. Her refusal to play for the party came despite being offered one million dollars. The information comes from the filings of a lawsuit from the American Action Network (ANN), a Republican nonprofit fundraiser, who are suing a vendor who was to stage entertainers at the GOP's convention last August 27 to 30. Included in the filings are emails of AAN's director of development, Pete Meachum, who tired to get Gaga to play the RNC. "See what it would take to get Gaga instead of Dolly (Parton)," Meachum wrote to Rob Jennings of Cater America LLC, an event production company from Wyoming.
He wanted Gaga to play the evening of the first day of the convention and he instructed Jennings to sweeten the pot. "Also, tell them that $150,000 will go towards a domestic violence shelter," he wrote to Jennings, trying to appeal to Lady Gaga's charitable causes and work, in particular for women and the LGBT community. But Gaga, who has played for President Obama, was not fooled. As it turned out, Dolly Parton was asked but said no; Pitbull also declined. Journey and Kid Rock played on separate nights during the convention. Actor Clint Eastwood was also on-hand.

Around the Network

its the DNC light convention more than anything. and she sucks anyways.

She should has said yes and trolled them.

Before the PS3 everyone was nice to me :(

Chark said:

I think Clint Eastwood did her job.

Don't really follow that kind of music, nor do I give a shit what party people adhere to, but if she is against them politically and would not perform at their convention even for exorbitant amounts of money then I can respect that at least a little bit. Now I will move on and never think about this subject again in my life.

Systems Currently Playing: WiiU, PS3, 3DS

Also Have: Atari 2600, NES, SNES, PS1, N64, PS2, Wii, GB, GBC, GBA, DSLite, DSi, Android (RazorMax), iPhone (4), iPad (2)

Around the Network
Chris Hu said:
Chark said:

I think Clint Eastwood did her job.

/thread.

"It seems that the Fame Monster, Lady Gaga, does not like fame, or money, enough to spurn her political beliefs"

Not sure if written by OP or a journalist, but if it's the latter, that's some terrible journalism right there. What does that decision have to do with Fame? If anything, it's a smart business decision. If she were to perform there, she would probably be considered a hypocrite by her fanbase and lose a lot of money AND fame in the future.

Just so that they can have some catchy lines, they throw professional reporting out of the window. It really irritates me.

She's just great, legit and smart!

I don't know when the RNC is, but isn't she still relegated to a wheel chair? I liked Lady Gaga from "Just Dance", I think she was just new then... I had no idea her popularity level if she was, but I just keep up with most House/Dance Music and that was what was out. I don't like the attention seeking stuff she does personally, but if it somehow helps the cause, then that's a side effect I can accept... Though I think most of the major strides had been made before her in the equality movement(s) and she just rode the trend as a symbol that supports those causes... it just keeps her from becoming irrelevant, though it does help popularize the movement(s)

She would have destroyed her career had she appeared at the GOP convention so 1 million was not worth it.

Signature goes here!