By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Japan sales: Famitsu & Media create - Week 13 ( March 25-31)

metalmonstar said:
Good to see the Wii U getting a boost despite a poor showing in its newly released software. Animal Crossing continuing to do amazingly. I also find the Luigi's Mansion 2 had a fairly decent hold for its second week. With a decent set of legs, Luigi's Mansion could cross 1 million. Dragon Quest X is lower than expected but certainly the number is reasonable give the circumstance. Game and Wario seemed to fail a bit though.

a mil? Yeah i guess your right lifetime, maybe by years end for japan 800-900k?

Around the Network

this week the Wii U finally outsold the PS3 in Japan

oni-link said:

Hmmm...hopefully Muramasa gets a port for the 3DS as sales would have been much better for that on that system (nice sales on the Vita but I think a 3DS version would have made more sense). Overall good Wii U sales (nice bump for a single game) that might drop b/c of lack of any significant game releases. Vita despite price cut and influx of new software releases still can't beat the 3DS. It doesn't bode well for the system in the long term. Nintendo should really just d/c the Wii as it's pointless and should concentrate on speeding up their software development.

3rd party titles have a much better shot at selling well on non-Nintendo systems. Especially right now on Vita since people are looking for games to play.

The Vita did beat the 3DS a couple weeks ago. I guess you were taking a break on that day.

VGKing said:
oni-link said:

Hmmm...hopefully Muramasa gets a port for the 3DS as sales would have been much better for that on that system (nice sales on the Vita but I think a 3DS version would have made more sense). Overall good Wii U sales (nice bump for a single game) that might drop b/c of lack of any significant game releases. Vita despite price cut and influx of new software releases still can't beat the 3DS. It doesn't bode well for the system in the long term. Nintendo should really just d/c the Wii as it's pointless and should concentrate on speeding up their software development.

3rd party titles have a much better shot at selling well on non-Nintendo systems.(not always true...epic mickey, deblob, NMH etc) Especially right now on Vita since people are looking for games to play.

The Vita did beat the 3DS a couple weeks ago.(LOL...okay just like how Wii U beat PS3 this week) I guess you were taking a break on that day.

I look at the whole picture YTD, as well as LTD.  A few weeks is like winning a few seconds of the round instead of the round itself.  Well it's true that Nintendo games sell the best on their console but 3rd parties can do quite well. If they port Muramasa, LKS2, Dragon's Crown, etc it would probably sell better than it would on the Vita(at worst the same) based on numbers of 3DS owners alone.  What is the best selling Vita 3rd party ?  Now, compare it to the 3DS and I'm guessing the 3DS probably sold more! Besides, if one wants to really sell more games and be profitable they should port those to as many viable consoles as possible.  The 3DS is a very viable console compared to the Vita based on userbase.  Games like Muramasa LKS2, DC etc should be released on both handhelds to make sure that it finds their way to as many audience as possible is all.

VGKing said:
oni-link said:

3rd party titles have a much better shot at selling well on non-Nintendo systems. Especially right now on Vita since people are looking for games to play.

The Vita did beat the 3DS a couple weeks ago. I guess you were taking a break on that day.

it beat it barely by like 1k. With no releases of a game for 3ds, and vita's best week with a price cut in its 2nd week. Anyway why not make it for both handhelds? Not everybody is going to want to buy a vita for the game!

Around the Network

My first post is for this Thread. Thank you for bringin' this information to us every week.. I have a lot of time coming to this forum to see how the sales are going in Japan but never created my account because I'm lazy, lol.

Vita is holding quite good, nice to see Sony's handheld device in a stable position and the Wii U pretty much got a boost finally.

oni-link said:
VGKing said:
oni-link said:

3rd party titles have a much better shot at selling well on non-Nintendo systems.(not always true...epic mickey, deblob, NMH etc) Especially right now on Vita since people are looking for games to play.

The Vita did beat the 3DS a couple weeks ago.(LOL...okay just like how Wii U beat PS3 this week) I guess you were taking a break on that day.

I look at the whole picture YTD, as well as LTD.  A few weeks is like winning a few seconds of the round instead of the round itself.  Well it's true that Nintendo games sell the best on their console but 3rd parties can do quite well. If they port Muramasa, LKS2, Dragon's Crown, etc it would probably sell better than it would on the Vita(at worst the same) based on numbers of 3DS owners alone.  What is the best selling Vita 3rd party ?  Now, compare it to the 3DS and I'm guessing the 3DS probably sold more! Besides, if one wants to really sell more games and be profitable they should port those to as many viable consoles as possible.  The 3DS is a very viable console compared to the Vita based on userbase.  Games like Muramasa LKS2, DC etc should be released on both handhelds to make sure that it finds their way to as many audience as possible is all.

So you really expected Vita to outsell the 3DS YTD after the price cut? I doubt that's what you thought, not after how horribly Vita has been selling for the past year. What exactly is your agenda here?

Sure, it would be nice if all games were multi-platform but there will be exclusives for reasons we may never know. Complaining about a game being a Vita exclusive and how it would have sold much better on 3DS is borderline trolling, even if its in any way true. So if you really find this game so interesting, maybe you should consider buying a Vita instead of complaing that its not on your platform of choice. Just a thought.

oni-link said:
VGKing said:
oni-link said:

By that logic, every Wii U release is automatically fail, since everything would sell better on PS3. Every Wii U game should be ported to PS3 to reach a bigger audience, or they shouldn't even bother with a Wii U release because unlike Vita games, they probably won't bring in any money for the foreseeable future.

Anyway, terrible numbers for the Wii U and its software compared to my expectations. My guess was 120k for Dragon Quest and about 45k for Wii U. They were nowhere near.

VGKing said:
oni-link said:
VGKing said:
oni-link said:

So you really expected Vita to outsell the 3DS YTD after the price cut? I doubt that's what you thought, not after how horribly Vita has been selling for the past year. What exactly is your agenda here?

Sure, it would be nice if all games were multi-platform but there will be exclusives for reasons we may never know. Complaining about a game being a Vita exclusive and how it would have sold much better on 3DS is borderline trolling, even if its in any way true. So if you really find this game so interesting, maybe you should consider buying a Vita instead of complaing that its not on your platform of choice. Just a thought.

Well with all the hype about the price cut and upcoming games; it sounded like the Vita will continously overtake the 3DS and continue to stay on top for the rest of the year.  Well IMHO, the Vita is such a monstrosity as a handheld (it's huge) that it doesn't really suit my taste.  I have an original 3DS and GS3 phone, so there is only so much gadgets I want to lug around.  Thus the reason for me hoping that some of these games get ported over to the 3DS.( there is really no point keeping them exclusive to the Vita anyways)  I'm pretty sure it would find a decent audience with some of the 3DS owners.  Besides, you were the one who brought up that these games sell better on the Vita than it would on the 3DS. Just giving you a rebuttal that it would do just as well if not better on the 3DS I believe.

michael_stutzer said:
oni-link said:
VGKing said:
oni-link said:

By that logic, every Wii U release is automatically fail, since everything would sell better on PS3. Every Wii U game should be ported to PS3 to reach a bigger audience, or they shouldn't even bother with a Wii U release because unlike Vita games, they probably won't bring in any money for the foreseeable future.

Anyway, terrible numbers for the Wii U and its software compared to my expectations. My guess was 120k for Dragon Quest and about 45k for Wii U. They were nowhere near.

*sigh* I never said that Muramasa sales were a failure.(in fact I said they were great) What  I said was it made sense to have some of these games go multiplat in order for the companies to get some sort of return on their investment.(plus I want to get a chance to play these games as well on my 3DS)  Anyways, if the Wii U numbers are terrible to you I'd hate to ask you what you thought of Vita sales back then. While it didn't really sell to 3DS levels, it still manage to outsell the PS3 this week.  Not a bad feat considering that the system is essentially barren of any NEW EXCLUSIVE SOFTWARE for the last 3-4 months now!!!