By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - This gen has been settled (at least for me anyways)

waron said:
spore is comming to ds and wii(i don't know about other releases), the best thing for a gamer is having a pc and wii - you've got all the greatest exclusive games.
No point in comparing the PC version with the DS one, and the Wii version definitely won't be released before 2009 (and we still don't know how much it will resemble the PC version)

Around the Network

how do you know that? spore will be released with pc and ds version at the same time. spore will be the same on pc and wii. graphics are similar in both versions(pc and wii)

makingmusic476 said:
insomniac17 said:
IllegalPaladin said:
makingmusic476 said:
That's the way I've felt for a long time. I've always been a PC man first because of RTS,

Age of Empires II all the way!

Anyway, I've kind of had this feeling too. I mean, my computer isn't ancient and I can still get a demo for or buy a game that's on the consoles as well. Still, I guess it's where it helps to know people (or have room mates) who own a 360 and Wii.

lol, I still play that game. maybe I should buy Age of Empires III and stop being so cheap. oh wait, I can't because I'm broke...

Have you played Age of Mythology? I'd recommend that over AoEIII any day of the week. Age of Mythology is still in my top 3 favorite RTSes of all time, despite it being so old. It's up there with LotR: The Battle for Middle-earth II and Supreme Commander.

I couldn't get into Age of Empires III all that much, primarily because of the "deck" system. Over time, you built up a deck of cards that would provide you with advantages on the field. The better the deck, the better the strategy. Because of this, I found it hard to keep with with the online community unless you played constatnly. It wasn't as "pick up and play" as AoEII/AoM were.

Do either allow AI building?  Oddly the most fun i had with AOE2 (before my friend broke my inital disc aurgh!) was the AI wars.  I'd download the different Ai's that people had made and have them fight against each other on different scenarios and have my own tournaments.  

Sometimes it would be the AI's vs each other, othertimes the civs vs each other with random Ais.

That was a fun time.  I probably liked it best though because my favorite civs were the Goths and Huns... who both kinda sucked. 

waron said:
how do you know that? spore will be released with pc and ds version at the same time. spore will be the same on pc and wii. graphics are similar in both versions(pc and wii)

Even if that's true the game relies extensivly on other people playing it, online and user generated creatures.  Unless they have cross play i'd bank on PC being better.

I'd just like to add that Apple is in no way a threat to MS's survival. Apple are not interested in going past their niche PC market, because it's too profitable. MS likes having them there because it means that they can point at them and say "look, we have competition!" but they will always remain a niche player.

The biggest threat to the MS empire is Linux because it's aiming for Microsoft's market, the mass market. It's not very successful so far but it's gaining ground and it could grow like wildfire (like Firefox has) and seriously threaten the MS monopoly.

Help! I'm stuck in a forum signature!

Around the Network
omgwtfbbq said:
I'd just like to add that Apple is in no way a threat to MS's survival. Apple are not interested in going past their niche PC market, because it's too profitable. MS likes having them there because it means that they can point at them and say "look, we have competition!" but they will always remain a niche player.

The biggest threat to the MS empire is Linux because it's aiming for Microsoft's market, the mass market. It's not very successful so far but it's gaining ground and it could grow like wildfire (like Firefox has) and seriously threaten the MS monopoly.

Everytime i think of them competeing i just think of the end of "Pirates of Silicon Valley" where Bill Gates creepily says something to Steve Jobs about working together.

Does Microsoft still own part of Apple? 

But with PC gaming your hardware is gonna be outdated in in 12 months if you want to play the latest games.
Also playing a console on tv chilling on your couch is much better than sitting in front of a pc.

-UBISOFT BOYCOTT!-

shio said:
Garcian Smith said:

I feel the opposite way. There's really nothing much on the PS3 that I want to play, even in the future, and on top of that, the days of the "PC exclusive" are slowly drawing to an end. Everything is at least getting a console port nowadays. So, my feeling is, why spend $1000+ on a new PC that won't be able to play current games in three years, when you can get a 360 for $350 and be guaranteed a good library of games for longer than that?

Plus, I'm a Mac user. The 360 allows me to get my game on without having to suffer a Vista box. :)

You do know that PC still has far more exclusives this year than PS3/360 combined, right?

And it works both ways too, consoles are getting less and less exclusives, with almost all of them going to PC. Pretty much the only exclusives the consoles have are first-party games with a very reduced number of third party exclusives. (PS3/360 we're talking)

The PC should have over 100 exclusives in 2008, let's see if PS3/360 can beat that.

And no exclusive big PC games? Well, let's see here:

Spore
Dragon Age
Starcraft 2
Empire: Total War
Sins of a Solar Empire
Galactic Civilizations II: Twilight of the Arnor
Demigod
Gray Matter
A Vampyre Story
Sam & Max: Season Two
Still Life 2
Guild Wars 2
Space Siege
World of Warcraft: Wrath of Lich King
Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Clear Sky
Savage II: Tortured Soul
Storm of War: Battle of Britain

yeah, no big PC exclusives in 2008... btw, red = AAA

Well, for one, Spore is multiplatform, I HIGHLY doubt either Dragon Age or Starcraft 2 will be released this year, and Sam & Max is coming out for the Wii.

Other than that, that list is VERY heavily skewed toward MMOs, RTSs, and sims... to the point where it doesn't seem to include much else. 

"'Casual games' are something the 'Game Industry' invented to explain away the Wii success instead of actually listening or looking at what Nintendo did. There is no 'casual strategy' from Nintendo. 'Accessible strategy', yes, but ‘casual gamers’ is just the 'Game Industry''s polite way of saying what they feel: 'retarded gamers'."

-Sean Malstrom

Garcian Smith said:
shio said:
Garcian Smith said:

I feel the opposite way. There's really nothing much on the PS3 that I want to play, even in the future, and on top of that, the days of the "PC exclusive" are slowly drawing to an end. Everything is at least getting a console port nowadays. So, my feeling is, why spend $1000+ on a new PC that won't be able to play current games in three years, when you can get a 360 for $350 and be guaranteed a good library of games for longer than that?

Plus, I'm a Mac user. The 360 allows me to get my game on without having to suffer a Vista box. :)

You do know that PC still has far more exclusives this year than PS3/360 combined, right?

And it works both ways too, consoles are getting less and less exclusives, with almost all of them going to PC. Pretty much the only exclusives the consoles have are first-party games with a very reduced number of third party exclusives. (PS3/360 we're talking)

The PC should have over 100 exclusives in 2008, let's see if PS3/360 can beat that.

And no exclusive big PC games? Well, let's see here:

Spore
Dragon Age
Starcraft 2
Empire: Total War
Sins of a Solar Empire
Galactic Civilizations II: Twilight of the Arnor
Demigod
Gray Matter
A Vampyre Story
Sam & Max: Season Two
Still Life 2
Guild Wars 2
Space Siege
World of Warcraft: Wrath of Lich King
Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Clear Sky
Savage II: Tortured Soul
Storm of War: Battle of Britain

yeah, no big PC exclusives in 2008... btw, red = AAA

Well, for one, Spore is multiplatform, I HIGHLY doubt either Dragon Age or Starcraft 2 will be released this year, and Sam & Max is coming out for the Wii.

Other than that, that list is VERY heavily skewed toward MMOs, RTSs, and sims... to the point where it doesn't seem to include much else.

Spore almost definitely won't come out on Wii before 2009, and we don't know how it will compare the PC version.

Dragon Age, might be delayed, but I have a hunch Starcraft 2 won't. SC2 is too far in development.

Sam & Max isn't Wii confirmed, and we don't know if it will be the same game.

And to be clearer, in that list there are:

5 RPG's : 2 RPG's, 2 MMORPG's, 1 Online ARPG
4 Strategy games: 2 RTS, 2 4X
4 Adventures
2 Sims: 1 Life Sim, 1 Flight Sim
1 FPS
1 RPG/RTS Hybrid

Everyone knows the PC exclusives are usually in these genres, but so what? PC gets the rest from consoles.

Kasz216 said:
omgwtfbbq said:

Everytime i think of them competeing i just think of the end of "Pirates of Silicon Valley" where Bill Gates creepily says something to Steve Jobs about working together.

Does Microsoft still own part of Apple?

No they don't. They sold their shares shortly after purchasing them, and they were non-voting shares anyway, so MS never had any say in the way Apple's business was run. Pirates of Silicon Valley is an awesome film, but it does have a couple of significant factual inaccuracies, largely intended to make Bill Gates look like even more of an evil-nerd than he really is. I thought Anthony Michael Hall was absolutely perfect as Gates though. Probably his best role since Weird Science.

OT: I agree with the OP 100%. For most PC gamers, the 360 is just not worth it. It's worth it if you don't play on PC though. And all the people saying that PC gaming is pointless because your system will be outdated in a couple of years are really grasping at straws. Even a relatively low-end current PC will still be able to play all the 360's games in 5 years time, without requiring an upgrade. It's only the cutting-edge exclusives that will strain their system.

Some other miscellaneous points:

Spore on Wii will obviously be nothing like Spore on PC. That's just common sense. The Wii is nowhere near powerful enough to play a current-gen PC game.

Age of Empires 3 is no different from Age of Empires 2... or 1... or 99% of all RTS's. 

Mac and Linux are not even close to being able to topple MS yet. Windows may be sh*t, but it is convenient.

Mass Effect will obviously come to PC. In fact, I'd be surprised if it wasn't the lead platform (lack of RAM would explain most of the problems with the 360 version).