By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - This gen has been settled (at least for me anyways)

Played_Out said:
Kasz216 said:
omgwtfbbq said:
I'd just like to add that Apple is in no way a threat to MS's survival. Apple are not interested in going past their niche PC market, because it's too profitable. MS likes having them there because it means that they can point at them and say "look, we have competition!" but they will always remain a niche player.

The biggest threat to the MS empire is Linux because it's aiming for Microsoft's market, the mass market. It's not very successful so far but it's gaining ground and it could grow like wildfire (like Firefox has) and seriously threaten the MS monopoly.

Everytime i think of them competeing i just think of the end of "Pirates of Silicon Valley" where Bill Gates creepily says something to Steve Jobs about working together.

Does Microsoft still own part of Apple?

No they don't. They sold their shares shortly after purchasing them, and they were non-voting shares anyway, so MS never had any say in the way Apple's business was run. Pirates of Silicon Valley is an awesome film, but it does have a couple of significant factual inaccuracies, largely intended to make Bill Gates look like even more of an evil-nerd than he really is. I thought Anthony Michael Hall was absolutely perfect as Gates though. Probably his best role since Weird Science.

OT: I agree with the OP 100%. For most PC gamers, the 360 is just not worth it. It's worth it if you don't play on PC though. And all the people saying that PC gaming is pointless because your system will be outdated in a couple of years are really grasping at straws. Even a relatively low-end current PC will still be able to play all the 360's games in 5 years time, without requiring an upgrade. It's only the cutting-edge exclusives that will strain their system.

Some other miscellaneous points:

Spore on Wii will obviously be nothing like Spore on PC. That's just common sense. The Wii is nowhere near powerful enough to play a current-gen PC game.

Age of Empires 3 is no different from Age of Empires 2... or 1... or 99% of all RTS's.

Mac and Linux are not even close to being able to topple MS yet. Windows may be sh*t, but it is convenient.

Mass Effect will obviously come to PC. In fact, I'd be surprised if it wasn't the lead platform (lack of RAM would explain most of the problems with the 360 version).

Yeah, i agree.  He looks like a sociopath.  In that movie.

I disagree about spore.  It probably will be too complex for the wii but i wouldn't rule it out do to all the procedural stuff.  It really depends on how hard they push the graphics, knowing Will Wright it won't be that far, they'll want a game people with 8 year old computers can play like waith the sims.

Around the Network

im not really gonna deny it, most 360 games come out on windows anyway, but my PC is nowhere near powerful enough to play those games.

Currently Playing: Gears 2, World at War, GTA IV, Banjo Nuts and Bolts

The Greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge - Stephen Hawking

As far as my computer being out dated in a year. I seriously seriously doubt it.
The one I ordered is as follows.

2.4 Intel Core Duo 4MB Cache
HD 17' Monitor (1060x1050)
3GB Shared Dual Cahnnel DDR2
160GB Harddrive @7200 RPM
256 Nvidia 8600
Sound Blaster X-Fi

I think this should do me just fine this gen. Plus it will contiue to be useful long after the 360 is out dated.

elendar said:
rasone77 said:
elendar said:
However, the notion that you get access to all of the 360s good games is ludicrous. Yes you may get 1 blockbuster game a year (years after it was released on the xbox) but that isn't a replacement for the 360s library. Not to even mention the benefits of achievements & xboxlive.

I get multiplayer online for free with PC. You get numerous mods, extra maps, unlimited drive space, tons of movie and TV show downloads (I only stream thank you), full game downloads, demos, 10-20 year old games; all for free. You have to pay for any of those things on Live in addition to the monthly service charge.

I'm sorry but $8 a month for acheivments just isn't worth it.

EDIT: As far as waitining a year for 360 games:

Oblivion was out before the 360 was even on the market. Bioshock came out at the same time.So far the only thing I have to wait for is Mass Effect but it will be worth it once the mod community gets a hold of it.

Enjoy your unchanging money pit.

lol unchanging money pit? What the heck are you talking about. $55 for 13 months of live? Yes gaming with a PC is free and there are many many things you can do on the internet. The benefits I get from xboxlive are my friends and I can easily find each other / voice chat / find and join the same rooms etc. It is very user friendly. You go on to state, ". You get numerous mods, extra maps, unlimited drive space, tons of movie and TV show downloads (I only stream thank you), full game downloads, demos, 10-20 year old games; all for free. You have to pay for any of those things on Live in addition to the monthly service charge." Well lets take them one at a time. Numerous mods: yes that is one advantage of having a pc. Extra Maps: user generated content is starting to be available on xbox live. Such as forge versions of Halo 3 maps. Its a step in the right direction and you dont have to pay extra for the forge additions. Unlimited harddrive space: So, you have unlimited harddrive space? When mine fills I will have to go buy a larger harddrive much as I would have to do on my 360. Tons of movie and tv downloads: yes If you steal mp3s and movies that is an advantage over purchasing them from a legit service... Full Game Downloads: xbox 1 and arcade games are avail and you do have to pay for them. I guess were at the money pit thing as all of these games are under $15 With a lot of arcade titles coming in at $5. Victory goes to PC for free games because its the world wide web. =0 Demos: PC & 360 have free demos 10 - 20 year old games: Some titles are avail on xbox live such as contra and street fighter two. Of course that doesn't compare to PC emulation. Reflecting on your list.. It seems true for ANY CONSOLE. I was not making the argument that the xbox 360 is better for all internet gaming my point is: Given the choice of cod4 on 360 or PC I choose the 360 because I could play it with established friendships, ez voice chat, achievements, and it will be simple to acquire any expansions (maps). That brings me to another point, the oblivion expansion costs $ on both the 360 and PC version. One last thing, you admit that the only thing you would like to play thats avail only the 360 is Mass Effect. So how does really buying a pc have anything to do with a xbox 360? It seems to me you just wanted to bash the 360 for having a few select titles avail on games for windows.

Answers:

One example doesn't make the 360 a mod community. And as soon as MS finds a way, they will charge people for it. Hell you have to buy other map packs on XBL.

You have to pay $150 for an extra 120 GB hard drive on a 360 and you cant use your old one at the same time thus allowing for only 120GB of Hardspace at any given time. I can buy an external 120GB hard drive for under $100 and use it in conjunction with my PC.

I don't steal, I stream my shows off of various websites using Divix, Veoh or Flash something that is absolutely impossible on the 360.

You don't think the internet has more ways to communicate with other people, or a vast network of online relationships that have been (in some cases) established since 1996? XBL is only 6 years old max. Give me a break you're absolutely reaching for a positive attribute with this one.

Yes, I bashed the 360 and rightfully so.

Color-coded quoting is sweet.

Around the Network

The PC most definitely has advantages, but it also has many drawbacks. I hope the original poster understands that there are drawbacks. The first drawback is technical hurdles brought about hardware and software compatibility. Ironically the PC is one of the worst systems for backwards compatibility. New drivers not supporting old games while newer games absolutely demand them. Thats one of the positives in respect to consoles the simplicity of guaranteed play. There is no fuss or muss. The game will be playable the instant you insert the disc.

The other disadvantages are equally obvious genre diversity, delayed arrival, and the recent concerns over rampant piracy. So there are real problems now and real problems on the horizon. Really its a fend for yourself realm. Worth it if you can stand up through the hardships, and the market matches your tastes exactly. However if the thought of spending over an hour making a game compatible with your system gives you pause you might want to stop and think.

You are making a sacrifice here whether you appreciate it or not. There will be obstacles, and part of the game on PC is being on top of the game. You can't just bumble along ignorant as it were. Your going to run into problems, and its basically your prerogative to resolve them. A game isn't working your going to need to run searches find out why, and look for resolutions.

The PC isn't a panacea for all gaming problems it comes with its share of them. I used to be a dedicate PC gamer, but eventually I decided the headaches that came with being one were actually worth it. I got tired of uninstalling and reinstalling drivers. Companies releasing buggy code, because they could resolve after launch, and on more then one occasion I had to actually rewrite the code in my game files to resolve game breaking bugs. I doubt my experience is extraordinary, and I only had a dozen games for the PC. Imagine doing all that with a real diverse hardcore habit.

Just wanted to point out the pitfalls unless you hadn't considered them. I have had to resolve so many of these issues for friends who have finally snapped over the complications. Nothing like someone who wants to play a ten dollar game calling you at two in the afternoon looking for you to trouble shoot their system, because their Knights of the Old Republic game keeps locking up on Dantooine.

I've personally never had too much trouble with running PC games. I seldom ever update drivers until I finally get a new game which doesn't run good.

It's funny Knights of the Republic game came up since that about the only one I had trouble with my latest PC. When it comes to consoles I've had my share of troubles with them as well through the years. The problem with a buggy console game (I've had my share) is often there is no hope of a fix/patch.

Good job now more people need to wake up and smell the coffee.

I too have had games that have been buggy and required that I alter code somehow in order to get it to work. In every case this was because of the limitations of my hardware or even more frequently the lack of foresight on the modder.
(I am heavy into modifications to games I already own and have about 20GB worth of mods for Morrowind and BG1&2. Also the genres on the PC are far more appealing to me than those on the 360.