By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - This gen has been settled (at least for me anyways)

IllegalPaladin said:
makingmusic476 said:
That's the way I've felt for a long time. I've always been a PC man first because of RTS,

Age of Empires II all the way!

Anyway, I've kind of had this feeling too. I mean, my computer isn't ancient and I can still get a demo for or buy a game that's on the consoles as well. Still, I guess it's where it helps to know people (or have room mates) who own a 360 and Wii.

lol, I still play that game. maybe I should buy Age of Empires III and stop being so cheap. oh wait, I can't because I'm broke...

Around the Network
Garcian Smith said:

I feel the opposite way. There's really nothing much on the PS3 that I want to play, even in the future, and on top of that, the days of the "PC exclusive" are slowly drawing to an end. Everything is at least getting a console port nowadays. So, my feeling is, why spend $1000+ on a new PC that won't be able to play current games in three years, when you can get a 360 for $350 and be guaranteed a good library of games for longer than that?

Plus, I'm a Mac user. The 360 allows me to get my game on without having to suffer a Vista box. :)

Sure, if you want gimped RTS games...

Rugger08 said:
I hate microsoft for their awful operating system. I just switched to a mac less than a month ago and I am so happy. It takes a few days to get used to the difference but after that you will never regret it. FUCK VISTA!!!!!!!!!!!!

What is it about these 'converts' to linux and mac in this case. They are like a cult always trying to recruit members. My personal experience with a mac was someone brief and I am thankful for that. Had to use one while I worked for small business up north. One button for the mouse! I hated that so. I found absolutely no extra benefits while working or surfing the net. I don't know its just not thrilling to me as I don't harbor some hate for vista.

insomniac17 said:
IllegalPaladin said:
makingmusic476 said:
That's the way I've felt for a long time. I've always been a PC man first because of RTS,

Age of Empires II all the way!

Anyway, I've kind of had this feeling too. I mean, my computer isn't ancient and I can still get a demo for or buy a game that's on the consoles as well. Still, I guess it's where it helps to know people (or have room mates) who own a 360 and Wii.

lol, I still play that game. maybe I should buy Age of Empires III and stop being so cheap. oh wait, I can't because I'm broke...

Have you played Age of Mythology? I'd recommend that over AoEIII any day of the week. Age of Mythology is still in my top 3 favorite RTSes of all time, despite it being so old. It's up there with LotR: The Battle for Middle-earth II and Supreme Commander.

I couldn't get into Age of Empires III all that much, primarily because of the "deck" system. Over time, you built up a deck of cards that would provide you with advantages on the field. The better the deck, the better the strategy. Because of this, I found it hard to keep with with the online community unless you played constatnly. It wasn't as "pick up and play" as AoEII/AoM were.

elendar said:
Rugger08 said:
I hate microsoft for their awful operating system. I just switched to a mac less than a month ago and I am so happy. It takes a few days to get used to the difference but after that you will never regret it. FUCK VISTA!!!!!!!!!!!!

What is it about these 'converts' to linux and mac in this case. They are like a cult always trying to recruit members. My personal experience with a mac was someone brief and I am thankful for that. Had to use one while I worked for small business up north. One button for the mouse! I hated that so. I found absolutely no extra benefits while working or surfing the net. I don't know its just not thrilling to me as I don't harbor some hate for vista.

The OS doesn't have the slowdown and crashing problems that Windows generally has.  I stick with Vista though, purely for gaming reasons.

Around the Network

I've always stuck with the Nintendo and Sony angle. You're guaranteed to get good games from Nintendo's IP's and they have the shortest loading times while having great replay value. Sony's PS systems always seem to have the best RPG, Action, and Racing games I could possibly ask for.

This will only take a moment of your time. *steals your watch*

I do believe good reasons exists to purchase a PC for gaming. MMO & RTS games are still by far better on pcs than consoles. However, the notion that you get access to all of the 360s good games is ludicrous. Yes you may get 1 blockbuster game a year (years after it was released on the xbox) but that isn't a replacement for the 360s library. Not to even mention the benefits of achievements & xboxlive.

@rasone77

MGS4, Home, Resistence, Ratchet, Uncharted. ect..)

The only game that interests me on that list is uncharted. The only thing so far pushing me to buy a ps3 is final fantasy & blue ray. To each his own I guess.

elendar said:
Rugger08 said:

Well, you _can_ get a 2 button mouse to use with macs.

I use linux because 1)It is far more secure 2)It is more efficient (i.e. faster) and 3)It is hugely customizeable (especially Gentoo - but Gentoo isn't for everybody!)

On topic - I'll probably go most of this gen with PC/PS3/Wii. I would like to get a 360 sometime, but not until the hardware has been overhauled and the price has dropped some more.

The PC is the only way to go for games that are multiplat - because of mods/custom maps, as well as mouse/keyboard. (That, and Starcraft 2 will be on the PC - you [most likely] won't be seeing that on a console!)

Examples of PC games that you won't see on consoles, pretty much all RTS includng Heart of Iron series, flight sims, Silent Hunter 4, most TBS like Civ4 (revolution is civ-lite) and GalCiv2, Sins of the Solar Empire, TBS/RTS mixed like the Total War series, Combat Mission series.

Smidlee said:
Examples of PC games that you won't see on consoles, pretty much all RTS includng Heart of Iron series, flight sims, Silent Hunter 4, most TBS like Civ4 (revolution is civ-lite) and GalCiv2, Sins of the Solar Empire, TBS/RTS mixed like the Total War series, Combat Mission series.

In other words, RTS's and sims. You can keep those, thanks. :)

"'Casual games' are something the 'Game Industry' invented to explain away the Wii success instead of actually listening or looking at what Nintendo did. There is no 'casual strategy' from Nintendo. 'Accessible strategy', yes, but ‘casual gamers’ is just the 'Game Industry''s polite way of saying what they feel: 'retarded gamers'."

-Sean Malstrom