By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - This gen has been settled (at least for me anyways)

makingmusic476 said:
insomniac17 said:
IllegalPaladin said:
makingmusic476 said:
That's the way I've felt for a long time. I've always been a PC man first because of RTS,

Age of Empires II all the way!

Anyway, I've kind of had this feeling too. I mean, my computer isn't ancient and I can still get a demo for or buy a game that's on the consoles as well. Still, I guess it's where it helps to know people (or have room mates) who own a 360 and Wii.

lol, I still play that game. maybe I should buy Age of Empires III and stop being so cheap. oh wait, I can't because I'm broke...

Have you played Age of Mythology? I'd recommend that over AoEIII any day of the week. Age of Mythology is still in my top 3 favorite RTSes of all time, despite it being so old. It's up there with LotR: The Battle for Middle-earth II and Supreme Commander.

I couldn't get into Age of Empires III all that much, primarily because of the "deck" system. Over time, you built up a deck of cards that would provide you with advantages on the field. The better the deck, the better the strategy. Because of this, I found it hard to keep with with the online community unless you played constatnly. It wasn't as "pick up and play" as AoEII/AoM were.

Yeah, actually. I really liked that one too, they made a lot of cool additions that made a lot more interesting than AoE II (ie: god powers =D) but I still play both . As a matter of fact, those two games and Guild Wars are the only games I have for PC, and I don't play Guild Wars a whole lot any more. 

Around the Network
rasone77 said:

I fianlly decided what gaming systems I'm buying for this gen, and Microsoft isn't on that list (unless you count windows).

After careful consideration I decided to buy a new PC with all the gaming buffs I need. My thinking is

a) I don't have to worry about all of the hardware issues the 360 seems to be suffering from

b) I can play anything I want on the PC that comes out on the 360 and a ton of other games that will never make it on the 360. Since there aren't alot of 360 exclusives (aside from Halo 3) that I want to play (Halo doesn't really matter to me). What's the point in spendiong $400 on it? I get so much more with a new PC it's rediculous plus since I'm buying a laptop the fricking thing is portable.

This leads me to my second realization. The only other system besides the Wii that is worth the money is the PS3. There are way more actual exclusives on the PS3 than the 360. (MGS4, Home, Resistence, Ratchet, Uncharted. ect..) So I will eventually be buying a PS3 as well.

good call.

Metalcore, Hardcore, Punk, Emo, Rock.

elendar said:
However, the notion that you get access to all of the 360s good games is ludicrous. Yes you may get 1 blockbuster game a year (years after it was released on the xbox) but that isn't a replacement for the 360s library. Not to even mention the benefits of achievements & xboxlive.

I get multiplayer online for free with PC. You get numerous mods, extra maps, unlimited drive space, tons of movie and TV show downloads (I only stream thank you), full game downloads, demos, 10-20 year old games; all for free. You have to pay for any of those things on Live in addition to the monthly service charge.

I'm sorry but $8 a month for acheivments just isn't worth it.

EDIT: As far as waitining a year for 360 games: 

Oblivion was out before the 360 was even on the market. Bioshock came out at the same time.So far the only thing I have to wait for is Mass Effect but it will be worth it once the mod community gets a hold of it. 

Enjoy your unchanging money pit. 

rasone77 said:
elendar said:
However, the notion that you get access to all of the 360s good games is ludicrous. Yes you may get 1 blockbuster game a year (years after it was released on the xbox) but that isn't a replacement for the 360s library. Not to even mention the benefits of achievements & xboxlive.

Oblivion was out before the 360 was even on the market. Bioshock came out at the same time.So far the only thing I have to wait for is Mass Effect but it will be worth it once the mod community gets a hold of it. 

Is Mass Effect coming to the PC? I haven't heard anything about a port of it.

Jandre002 said:
Good choice ;-D.

Not having a PS3 will ultimately make you miss out on more this generation than anything else.

Hey now, I'd rather not play the PS3 exclusives, than not play the Wii exclusives that are out right now, by a long shot.

No More Heroes, Zack and Wiki, Mario Galaxy, MP3, and soon, Brawl, those games are AWESOME. Rachet and Uncharted are also good, but....ya know, lol.

Anyway, I realize you mean "In my opinion" but it helps a little bit if you add that in there, so the rest of us don't get all uppidy, lol. 

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

Around the Network
Katilian said:
rasone77 said:
elendar said:

Is Mass Effect coming to the PC? I haven't heard anything about a port of it.

Considering past Bioware games, they usually leave the game exclusive for about a year, then release it on games for windows, where it has far quicker load times. This is not certain that it will happen for Mass Effect, however, this argument has been presented numerous times in the past for many games on Microsoft systems, and ever single time the game has eventually came out on the PC.

So, while I have to tell you, no the game isn't confirmed for PC. If you were to ask me off the record, I would say that of course, it will be released on the PC as soon as they can get it out, as a better version of the original game. System requirements will be high though.

Also, Halo 3 will eventually be on PC as well. 360 won't keep many AAAE, because games for Windows is basically the same company.

That said, we'll probably see MGS on the 360 eventually, just like in past itterations. 

It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

rasone77 said:
elendar said:

I get multiplayer online for free with PC. You get numerous mods, extra maps, unlimited drive space, tons of movie and TV show downloads (I only stream thank you), full game downloads, demos, 10-20 year old games; all for free. You have to pay for any of those things on Live in addition to the monthly service charge.

I'm sorry but $8 a month for acheivments just isn't worth it.

lol unchanging money pit? What the heck are you talking about. $55 for 13 months of live? Yes gaming with a PC is free and there are many many things you can do on the internet. The benefits I get from xboxlive are my friends and I can easily find each other / voice chat / find and join the same rooms etc. It is very user friendly. You go on to state, ". You get numerous mods, extra maps, unlimited drive space, tons of movie and TV show downloads (I only stream thank you), full game downloads, demos, 10-20 year old games; all for free. You have to pay for any of those things on Live in addition to the monthly service charge." Well lets take them one at a time. Numerous mods: yes that is one advantage of having a pc. Extra Maps: user generated content is starting to be available on xbox live. Such as forge versions of Halo 3 maps. Its a step in the right direction and you dont have to pay extra for the forge additions. Unlimited harddrive space: So, you have unlimited harddrive space? When mine fills I will have to go buy a larger harddrive much as I would have to do on my 360. Tons of movie and tv downloads: yes If you steal mp3s and movies that is an advantage over purchasing them from a legit service... Full Game Downloads: xbox 1 and arcade games are avail and you do have to pay for them. I guess were at the money pit thing as all of these games are under $15 With a lot of arcade titles coming in at $5. Victory goes to PC for free games because its the world wide web. =0 Demos: PC & 360 have free demos 10 - 20 year old games: Some titles are avail on xbox live such as contra and street fighter two. Of course that doesn't compare to PC emulation. Reflecting on your list.. It seems true for ANY CONSOLE. I was not making the argument that the xbox 360 is better for all internet gaming my point is: Given the choice of cod4 on 360 or PC I choose the 360 because I could play it with established friendships, ez voice chat, achievements, and it will be simple to acquire any expansions (maps). That brings me to another point, the oblivion expansion costs $ on both the 360 and PC version. One last thing, you admit that the only thing you would like to play thats avail only the 360 is Mass Effect. So how does really buying a pc have anything to do with a xbox 360? It seems to me you just wanted to bash the 360 for having a few select titles avail on games for windows.

That does make a good argument, in terms of sheer diversity of games selection.

A couple of things err with me about your assessment however, and this is just my personal preference but there are quite a few console exclusives worth justifying a 360 purchase alone and more than likely some of ‘released on PC eventually’ titles come out in excess of 2 years, when all hype and interest dies out.

Another thing that comes to mind is that if we are indeed in the ‘HD’ era, as Sony and Microsoft would make out, isn’t it better to experience the games on a HD setup than hunched over a keyboard and mouse looking at a computer monitor with stereo speakers??

And then there’s the economics argument – will your PC be able to play every game released in the next 6-7 years without requiring an upgrade?

Garcian Smith said:

I feel the opposite way. There's really nothing much on the PS3 that I want to play, even in the future, and on top of that, the days of the "PC exclusive" are slowly drawing to an end. Everything is at least getting a console port nowadays. So, my feeling is, why spend $1000+ on a new PC that won't be able to play current games in three years, when you can get a 360 for $350 and be guaranteed a good library of games for longer than that?

Plus, I'm a Mac user. The 360 allows me to get my game on without having to suffer a Vista box. :)

You do know that PC still has far more exclusives this year than PS3/360 combined, right?

And it works both ways too, consoles are getting less and less exclusives, with almost all of them going to PC. Pretty much the only exclusives the consoles have are first-party games with a very reduced number of third party exclusives. (PS3/360 we're talking)

The PC should have over 100 exclusives in 2008, let's see if PS3/360 can beat that.

And no exclusive big PC games? Well, let's see here: 

Spore
Dragon Age
Starcraft 2
Empire: Total War
Sins of a Solar Empire
Galactic Civilizations II: Twilight of the Arnor
Demigod
Gray Matter
A Vampyre Story
Sam & Max: Season Two
Still Life 2 
Guild Wars 2
Space Siege
World of Warcraft: Wrath of Lich King
Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Clear Sky
Savage II: Tortured Soul
Storm of War: Battle of Britain

yeah, no big PC exclusives in 2008... btw, red = AAA

spore is comming to ds and wii(i don't know about other releases), the best thing for a gamer is having a pc and wii - you've got all the greatest exclusive games.