By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Nintendo could buy Epic games serveral times over with just the cash they have lying around.....

TheJimbo1234 said:
Why do you people think that Nintendo is some animate object? Newsflash, it isn't a person. It doesn't have feelings. It doesn't get hurt by things like this. Anyway, the guy laughed as we all know the power of the WiiU and the power needed for Unreal 4 - the question was stupid. It was the same as asking if a Prius could win the F1.

Hey buddy...newsflash, Epic is a company that makes money by licensing their engines out to developers. The more developers that license their engines to, the more money they make. As for power, at some point your going to see UE4 running on phones....these engines are scalable..... The Wii U could run a scaled version of it as could the PS3/Xbox 360.   As for the question, it was far from stupid.  Try thinking outside your box for a change.

btw. All companies are run by people, not machines.  People who make decisions do hold grudges.

Stop hating and start playing.

Around the Network
TheJimbo1234 said:
Why do you people think that Nintendo is some animate object? Newsflash, it isn't a person. It doesn't have feelings. It doesn't get hurt by things like this. Anyway, the guy laughed as we all know the power of the WiiU and the power needed for Unreal 4 - the question was stupid. It was the same as asking if a Prius could win the F1.

Please. This isn't a power issue. It's a money issue. Epic could easily have UE4 running on Wii U if they wanted to -- they've even said other companies will be able to do that themselves. They just don't see the profit in optimising it.

kitler53 said:
and yet all the cash in the word can't bridge the power gap between wiiU and ps4/xbox8 that is causing it to miss on every engine, every game.

Theres still things they can do to get a lot of good third party games on the wiiu your post s so gloomy lol eh. 

Talal said:
It's Nintendo who's the one that burned that bridge. They are too stubborn for their own good.

Except no one at Nintendo every made fun of Epic or the Unreal Engine in public like Mark did with the Wii U.  It all gets back to arrogance.  In the overall scheme of things, Mark is just a peeon and will be forgotten just like most of us.  He just think's he's more important than he really is.

Stop hating and start playing.

Epic has said that UE3 is what they are pushing for Wii U development, and that UE4's tech is not suitable for the Wii U a couple times now. Any bridges with Nintendo have been burnt long ago if that kind of comment was all it took anyway, I mean they said a lot worse about the Wii. And as for what he thinks about almost half of his company being brought by Tencent? Well I am sure he laughed all the way to the bank, as he likely got a lot richer.

Also Nintendo burnt whatever was left of the bridge when they included one of Epics competitors products with every dev kit.

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!

Around the Network

Mark hasnt been arrogant really. What did he say that was arrogant? That his game engine was for next gen consoles?

BuckStud said:
pezus said:
How is that relevant?
Makes you wonder why they don't just buy some 3rd party games. Why should he be afraid of the money Nintendo have?

I didn't say that Mark should be afraid of the money Nintendo has. The point is that you don't burn bridges in business. When people say things publicly like Mark did it can have an adverse effect on the company he's talking about. Nintendo is a very wealthy and still powerful company. Mark should play nice with them. I've owned my own business for 8 years now, regardless of how I feel about something, I don't burn bridges.

Exactly what bridges would they burn if NINTENDO never cared to build one?

Well... and if they can, why don't they do it?

BuckStud said:
Talal said:
It's Nintendo who's the one that burned that bridge. They are too stubborn for their own good.

Except no one at Nintendo every made fun of Epic or the Unreal Engine in public like Mark did with the Wii U.  It all gets back to arrogance.  In the overall scheme of things, Mark is just a peeon and will be forgotten just like most of us.  He just think's he's more important than he really is.

I do think that he made a mistake by laughing, but not because it burned the bridge but because it was a bit disrespectful. And about the relationship, why should Epic care about Nintendo when Nintendo doesn't care about them. Like you said Nintendo has billions of dollars, why not invest that in improving their relationships? We've always heard that Sony beat Nintendo because they were more developer friendly, they didn't ask for as much and they made a console that is easy to develop for and all that. If Nintendo wants these 3rd parties to support them they're going to have to put some effort into that, but again they're just too stubborn to do that.

i'm just going to port this post over from that other UE4 thread..

HoloDust said:
coolguy said:
The wiiu can handle unreal4 mark rein is a moron

Depends on how we define "handle"

What is the target platform for UE4? What kind of hardware are gamers going to need to run UE4 based games?

Unreal Engine 4’s next-generation renderer targets DirectX 11 GPU’s and really starts to become interesting on hardware with 1+ TFLOPS of graphics performance, where it delivers some truly unprecedented capabilities. However, UE4 also includes a mainstream renderer targeting mass-market devices with a feature set that is appropriate there.

WiiU has at best around 350GFLOPS, so only 1/3 of what's needed to run UE4 with those "truly unprecented capabilities". So, all games built in UE4 would need to run on it through that "mainstream" renderer - which I'm guessing is more or less UE3. WiiU does support UE3, as he said, so...

source