By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo in panic mode now ?

pezus said:
Did they pump out gems during the Gamecube days?

I think they just made some big mistakes this gen, but it's possible for them to overcome many of them if they make some great games. That's not necessarily going to happen though, just like it didn't with GC.

A traditional pokemon game for WiiU would probably not do much (at least not enough), since that franchise is all about the handhelds.

I think it actually might hurt the sales of the handheld games too. But what I think they should do is that they should make an console pokemon rpg that is just like the versions, BUT the battles are like the anime battles (you controll the pokemons in a 3d arena, and use the enviroment to make the battle more strategic).

OT: I'm hoping this panic mode nintendo is a nintendo that want's to expand their studios, or buy new ones. We need more software on our consoles nintendo! 

Around the Network

EPIC already made it clear, and public, last year that they weren`t thinking of bringing UE 4 to Wii U.
For us this is a confirmation, but for Nintendo it`s nothing new.

This doesn`t mean that developers can`t port it over to Wii U. It is possible.
And it isn`t like Nintendo is left in the cold. Remember gamerware - which is offered for free? If CryEngine 3 is as good as UE4 then there is no really big loss. Worse, is losing EA games that come with an exclusive engine.

The size of the loss will only be acountable on the number of devs that will use it and not port it to Wii U.
With SE, Capcom and Konami devloping their own engines i think the impact of no-UE4 could be lessened.

NightDragon83 said:
Nintendo should have invested in more 1st/2nd party studios, they can't keep carrying their consoles all by themselves.

And the fact that it takes them 5 years on average to develop sequels to their top tier franchises when most 3rd party companies are able to put out sequels to their big franchises within a year or two on average.

I mean Christ, we just had ACIII released a few months ago and they've already announced ACIV. If that was a Nintendo franchise, we wouldn't see another AC game until late next gen.

Part of that problem is over-saturation. Iirc, people started getting fatigued of AC around Brotherhood.

The general problem with third parties is that they operate too similarly to Hollywood: once they find something big, they milk it endlessly until it runs dry. For a console maker, however, the big franchises are there to push hardware, which is why you see more restraint on Nintendo's part, because if they overuse any one franchise, it loses its ability to push the next box, likely that's partially why NSMBU doesn't have the zip of NSMBWii, because now we've had 4 NSMB games in 6 years, while the 2006 DS game was the first proper 2D Mario since Land 2 in 1992.

Though i agree with your post otherwise. If third parties are going to give Nintendo the finger, then Nintendo needs to bulk up. More money for them, less opportunity for third parties.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Panic mode will initiate if Mario Kart nor 3D Mario do anything significant in terms of sales. For now Nintendo has to be careful, but not panic mode yet.

Nintendo and PC gamer

Don't really care about Unreal Engine 4...obviously Nintendo has chosen UNITY 4 as their engine of choice. It's being funded/payed for by Nintendo for those interested in developing games for them. Besides Unity has far more indies( the future of gaming) working on their engines than UE anyways.

Around the Network
AndrewWK said:

Well they have made the worst Zelda and 3D Mario game. But then again Pikmin was born during the Gamecube era and Metroid became good again. Altough those games didn´t sell that great except of the first Metroid Prime.

Both SMS and WW were great games.

isnt frostbite an EA engine? Its basically only just EA on that one, and its nothing we didnt already know.

Pokemon only sells on handhelds.

oni-link said:
Don't really care about Unreal Engine 4...obviously Nintendo has chosen UNITY 4 as their engine of choice. It's being funded/payed for by Nintendo for those interested in developing games for them. Besides Unity has far more indies( the future of gaming) working on their engines than UE anyways.

LOL....Unreal Engine 4 will be used in many many next-gen games.
Unity 4 is only for small games. It's nowhere on the same leage as UE4.

You know what kind of games use Unity as their engine? Temple Run.

Not at all. Crysis 3 and Battlefield 4 (and future projects) wont define success for the WiiU. There will be other third party releases for the console like Assassins Creed.

Lets wait till e3 and see whats coming for the holidays. If the holidays are lackluster, then sure lets bash the WiiU until then.

e=mc^2

Gaming on: PS4 Pro, Switch, SNES Mini, Wii U, PC (i5-7400, GTX 1060)