By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Battlefield 4 demo ran on an AMD Radeon HD 7990 ‘Malta’ Video Card

Tagged games:

zarx said:
Lawlight said:
Captain_Tom said:
superchunk said:
So PS4/neXtBox will look slightly worse than that.

PS360 = min specs no AA or anything else.
next-gen = medium with AA turned on.
PC = well, it equals based on what you got but could be high with everything turned on.

This card is 4 times stronger than the one in the PS4.  

The PS4 has a 7850

The 7970 is twice as strong as a 7850.

The 7990 is twice as strong as a 7970.

The PS4 version will look decently worse.  Perhaps this is why they are rumored to be making it in 720p for nextgen.

Put into perspective, this level of throughput exceeds that of even capable £120+ PC graphics cards, including current mid-range favourite the Radeon HD 7850.

Take from Digital Foundry about the KZ:SF demo. So, you're wrong.

Good thing Malta is more than 4 times more powerful than the 7850 then eh

Source for 4 times?

Around the Network
Lawlight said:

No idea what Malta is.

The graphics card that the demo was running on

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!

And the source for the 4 times more powerful?

So that demo was run on an AMD 7900 Graphics card? That transfers 2,176 Gfloss of Data right?

PS4's Graphics Card is capable of 1,840 Gflops (Which is about as powerful as a 7850-7870).

This means that the PS3 version will be about 90% as good as that video, not bad. Wait! Was the demo on a 7900 or a 7990? There is a big difference, a 7990 has 6,963 Gflops of data, which would put the PS4 version running at 30% of the demo's capabilities.

http://hexus.net/tech/news/graphics/36725-amd-radeon-hd-7990-specification-leaked/

For reference, the 1st number represents the series humber (7th series) and the second number represent the .... power level? So the PC is at 9, the PS4 is at 8. The other two numbers I think are like update numbers ( Like version 1.1, 1.2, etc)

Also X-Box and PS3 are about 240Gflops, so let's see how they turn out with just over 10% the graphical power.

----

Funny, I don't see a HUGE jump this gen, despite PS4 being nearly 9x more powerful then the PS3.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

wfz said:

No one should be confused about what system the demo was running on when it said something like "PRESS E" to cut the guy's leg off. Dead giveaway. :P That and the fact that DICE would demo this on the best possible hardware of course.. which is PC hardware.

I look forward to this game and hope my card can run it at a respectable rate!

All next gen demos will be run on PC, they don't have the actual hardware yet, so they just generally show them on comparible PCs, especially as the architecture is so similar

I am not convinced my 670 will be able to handle this properly....

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:
Michael-5 said:

So that demo was run on an AMD 7900 Graphics card? That transfers 2,176 Gfloss of Data right?

PS4's Graphics Card is capable of 1,840 Gflops (Which is about as powerful as a 7850-7870).

This means that the PS3 version will be about 90% as good as that video, not bad. Wait! Was the demo on a 7900 or a 7990? There is a big difference, a 7990 has 6,963 Gflops of data, which would put the PS4 version running at 30% of the demo's capabilities.

http://hexus.net/tech/news/graphics/36725-amd-radeon-hd-7990-specification-leaked/

For reference, the 1st number represents the series humber (7th series) and the second number represent the .... power level? So the PC is at 9, the PS4 is at 8. The other two numbers I think are like update numbers ( Like version 1.1, 1.2, etc)

Also X-Box and PS3 are about 240Gflops, so let's see how they turn out with just over 10% the graphical power.

----

Funny, I don't see a HUGE jump this gen, despite PS4 being nearly 9x more powerful then the PS3.

I would argue that PS4 is much more than 9x more powerful than PS3 (RAM, alone, jumped x16). Besides, as always mentioned, launch games won't tell the full story.

9x is the jump based on how much data the system can process. RAM doubles, and only comes in 2/4/8/16/32GB, so they needed to upgrade the RAM 16x because 8x (the step below) would introduce a bottleneck.

Launch games don't do the system justice, and it really depends on where the platform bottlenecks, and what devs do to go around it.

Still if that Battlefield game runs on a PC which is 3x more powerful then the PS4, I think you have an idea of the max setting for PS4 games.

So could anyone answer, was that demo run on a 7900 or a 7990, or even a 7970 Graphics Card? Big difference between the 3.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

Michael-5 said:

----

The demo was run using a 7990, which is much, much more powerful than a 7850.

I didn't know AMD was releasing a 7990. Based on those (leaked) specs it is slightly slower than 2 x 7970 cards in Crossfire, so my 2 x 7970's are slightly more powerful! (yay ;-p )

starcraft: "I and every PS3 fanboy alive are waiting for Versus more than FFXIII.
Me since the games were revealed, the fanboys since E3."

Skeeuk: "playstation 3 is the ultimate in gaming acceleration"

CGI-Quality said:
Lawlight said:

http://www.amd.com/us/products/desktop/graphics/7000/7850/Pages/radeon-7850.aspx (7850)

http://www.techpowerup.com/180923/AMD-Redoing-Radeon-HD-7990-Under-New-Codename-quot-Malta-quot-.html (7990 "Malta")

Alternate source for Malta

Still not seeing anything about the 4 times. But I'm still seeing that you're ignoring that DF said that the PS4 GPU is more powerful than the 7850.

Lawlight said:
CGI-Quality said:
Lawlight said:

http://www.amd.com/us/products/desktop/graphics/7000/7850/Pages/radeon-7850.aspx (7850)

http://www.techpowerup.com/180923/AMD-Redoing-Radeon-HD-7990-Under-New-Codename-quot-Malta-quot-.html (7990 "Malta")

Alternate source for Malta

Still not seeing anything about the 4 times. But I'm still seeing that you're ignoring that DF said that the PS4 GPU is more powerful than the 7850.

The PS4's GPU is slightly ahead of the 7850 yes but slightly 1.84 TFlops PS4 vs 1.76 TFlops for the 7850 but it's still the closest comparison. The HD7990 offers 7.57 Tflops of compute performance which places it at just over 4x (4.11 if you want to be exact) now there are other factors at play but in general terms the 7990 that powered the BF4 demo is 4x as powerful as the PS4's GPU. And likely backed up by a CPU that is almost 4x as powerful as well. 

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!

that video was pretty hot...