Realism 10 5.95%

Creativity 99 58.93%

Both 59 35.12%

Total:168

Realism is severly overrated

Around the Network
Dgc1808 said:
Killzone never seemed realistic to me.

Same. Its filters and lighting are quite stylised.

KZ1 and 2 looked boring to me, but KZ3 was very pretty.

I like both which is why PS4 is pretty much my first choice for next gen. Get the best of both worlds.

HoloDust said:
Hm, I see people are confusing things here massively. This is also realistic:

Please, stop mixing up "creativeness" with graphic style.

That is highly detailed surrealism.  The opposite of realism.  It is a fine example of creative.

both have their place

Even so called "realistic" styles in games these days are very stylized. Most of the games that people say are realistic actually shoot for something that people like to call "movie realism" stylised elements like limited colour palette/colour grading, lens flares etc. Games like the Witcher are pretty stylised with exagerated features and colour palette. 

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!

Around the Network

Creative Realism for me lol.

I like ultra realistic graphics and lighting trying to do impossible stuff. Like a great example would be Gran Turismo 5 (6) realism and details in a game like FZero Galaxy that lets me drive with 1000 mph on a realisticly rendered track on Mercury. No stylized stuff just like it would look if you Race on a Track on Mercury.

I lean towards creativity however it depends what you mean by realism. I think you are talking about graphical fidelity as opposed to reality vs fantasy.

In any case there is no reason why we cannot get a healthy dose of both. Unless I am playing a specifically cartoony game I want the game to look as good as possible technically and artistically while providing me with fun gameplay mechanics.

TheShape31 said:
HoloDust said:
Hm, I see people are confusing things here massively. This is also realistic:

Please, stop mixing up "creativeness" with graphic style.

That is highly detailed surrealism.  The opposite of realism.  It is a fine example of creative.

Of course it's surrealism (neo surrealism, to be precise) - with realistic graphic style. As opposed to, say Dali...

...which is also surrealism, but in the context of this debate could be called stylized.

Point is - photorealistic or stylized does not determine whether is something creative or not.

Creativity. Of course it is mindblowing to see a perfectly crafted realworld on a videogame, but that fades soon imo. There's nothing like a creative, imaginative world!