By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Graphics: Creativity vs. Realism

Creativity vs. Realism

Realism 10 5.95%

Creativity 99 58.93%

Both 59 35.12%

Total:168

Now, with recent news of Battlefield 4 and bioshock coming out, it got me thinking about graphics in general. Which do you prefer more and why? I was really impressed with the new bf 4 gameplay footage, especially the scene in the screenshot shown.  That scene was just absolutely gorgeous to me. On the otherhand I also felt impressed and in awe the first time I saw Columbia in Bioshock Infinite. The game graphically is nowhere near bf4, but it still impressed me though. So I will have to go with both, which is kind of a cop-out, but still.

Realism:

Battlefield 4 (PC, PS3, PS4, Xbox 360, Durango)

Killzone ShadowFall (PS4)

The Witcher 3: The Wild Hunt (PC, PS4, Durango)

Stylized:

Bioshock Infinite (PC, PS3, Xbox 360)

Journey (PS3)

Borderlands 2 (PC, PS3, Xbox 360)

Updated:

I may have worded it a bit weird now that I've seen the comments. By creative, I meant the art style isn't going for photorealism. So I guess stylized would be a better term to use. Bioshock or dishonored for example have distinct styles and so does borderlands. Battlefield,killzone, and other games like them seem more grounded in reality while going for photorealism. Even though games like the witcher 3 may have fantasy elements that don't exist in reality, the graphics themselves strive for realism.

Around the Network

i love both tbh! but I'm a rare bread who loves these Arty creative games then goes and plays Killzone haha i love both!

I like both. For military shooters it makes sense to be realistic. For fantasy games like Zelda it makes sense to be colorful and artistic. My favorite is a combination of the two like Halo 4. It's the best of both worlds. It's beautifully realistic and gorgeously artistic.

I' more of the creativity side. That being said, I love realism too. Metro 2033 is an awesome experience because of how realist and gritty is.

But nothing beats artistic, in my opinion. You can create some unique things:

As above I would love both, why not. I want a creative real looking game.

I still would give creativity the edge, but saying that even the most creative of games would lose my vote with exceptional crappy graphics.

Around the Network
Wright said:
I' more of the creativity side. That being said, I love realism too. Metro 2033 is an awesome experience because of how realist and gritty is.

But nothing beats artistic, in my opinion. You can create some unique things:

Artistic seems to age better too compared to realism imo since it is limited by the technology avaliable at the time.

BloodyRain said:

Artistic seems to age better too compared to realism imo since it is liminted by the technology avaliable at the time.

That may be the truth, but realism has a more lasting appeal than creativism. For example, Far Cry 1 is still in my mind as probably the most realistic game at its time. The first time I saw it I was amazed, totally.

Seriously, this was the future! xD

I prefer realism.. but I like more stylized games aswell as they tend to age better with time. Depends on the game for me.

Wright said:
BloodyRain said:

Artistic seems to age better too compared to realism imo since it is liminted by the technology avaliable at the time.

That may be the truth, but realism has a more lasting appeal than creativism. For example, Far Cry 1 is still in my mind as probably the most realistic game at its time. The first time I saw it I was amazed, totally.

Seriously, this was the future! xD

haha that picture cracks me up for some reason, and the progression of far cry.

The endless attempt at photorealism is a perpetual dead end.

Creativity!