By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Graphics: Creativity vs. Realism

Creativity vs. Realism

Realism 10 5.95%

Creativity 99 58.93%

Both 59 35.12%

Total:168

Creative wins most of the time for me. Games like Prince of Persia and Wind Waker are timeless.

I do like realism but it depends on the setting I guess, for example I absolutely love the scenery in Uncharted 2:

The only game I can think of right now that blends realism and creativity is Mirror's Edge (it looks awesome!):

Signature goes here!

Around the Network

ALl depends on the game and story its telling.

But people sometimes treat realism as if lacks artistic ambition. Many of the shots in the new BF4 demo looked incredible as does the the still above, clearly a lot of effort went into the design of the vista's and battlegrounds. Games like Uncharted have incredible art design too, but opt to showcase it with realistic rendering.

TheShape31 said:
The endless attempt at photorealism is a perpetual dead end.

Creativity!

I don't think these things are mutually exclusive.

Before the PS3 everyone was nice to me :(

I like artistic a lot. But that's just the Nintendo me and the Manga/Anime lover me.

The only time I'll like photorealism is when it isn't used only in shooters. Why can't we have like a photorealistic mountain climbing game or things like that? Or a skydiving one.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/profile/92109/nintendopie/ Nintendopie  Was obviously right and I was obviously wrong. I will forever be a lesser being than them. (6/16/13)

Around the Network
Chark said:

I agree, not sure why OP named them like that - photorealism does not exclude creativity, or most movies out there would look really plain and boring.

I think better nomenclature would be Realistic vs Stylized

Creativity, when I see a realistic game, the best I can feel is a OK feeling, But Cretive games like Wind Waker are the ones who really WOW me.

HoloDust said:
Chark said:

I agree, not sure why OP named them like that - photorealism does not exclude creativity, or most movies out there would look really plain and boring.

I think better nomenclature would be Realistic vs Stylized

This.

A high level of detail and creativity can go hand-in-hand. But the attempt at photorealism is the least creative avenue that an animator can take.

Realism and creativity, in my opinion, are mutually exclusive.

TheShape31 said:
A high level of detail and creativity can go hand-in-hand. But the attempt at photorealism is the least creative avenue that an animator can take.

Realism and creativity, in my opinion, are mutually exclusive.

But a photo realistic game can also be creative. Stylised designs moves away from realism since they are not intended to look realistic.