Forums - Gaming Discussion - Graphics: Creativity vs. Realism

Creativity vs. Realism

Realism 10 5.95%

Creativity 99 58.93%

Both 59 35.12%

Total:168
TheShape31 said:
HoloDust said:

Take for example some potential future Blade Runner game (not the excellent Westwood's P&C adventure from '97). Blade Runner movie is wonderfully designed, and lot of creativity went into it, both in picture and sound.

Now, this potential game could be made to look Photorealistic, like the movie, and if done right, we would say it is a product of some very creative people. Of course, it could be completely Stylized, and done cell shaded like Journey for example, and if done right we would say exactly the same thing.

Whether that game looks Photorealistic or Stylized will not determine if it's done creatively or not.

No one's misinterpreting anything here.  You act as if there's one truth in this whole discussion.  There's only opinion, and maybe you can't agree to disagree but I can.  I've understood where you've come from on every point, I just see things very differently.  Give it a try.  Acceptance is bliss.

As I said before (examples for Blade Runner):

Photorealistic:

Stylized:

Taking one form of representation or the other does not make them creative by default. Otherwise someone might come to think that something like "Spirited Away" is creative, and "Apocalypse Now" is not cause it's realistic...when we all know all too well they are both masterpieces.

Around the Network

Bioshock Infinite and Journey look much, much better than Killzone or Battlefield could ever dream of.

It depends on the game. I understand realistic for games like a shooter. Like my husband plays those and that makes sense if there is a historical/geographical based context to it.

I do not mind cartoony, designy, graphicy, animation-y... it's all fine for me. It does not have to break benchmarks lol. As long as the game finds it's identity and is fun to play, I am sold. If it's boring crappy graphics, then who cares... but if it's old school, that's fine too. A lot of old school games are still playable for me, but it depends on your sensitivity I guess.

Updated thread