By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo's silence on WiiU to be broken soon

You think a Nintendo Direct will turn things around for Wii U? You do know those millions of people that made the Wii successful aren't going to watch that right? Only the core Nintendo fans. Core gamers aren't the problem, they already have a Wii U. Also the fact that Nintendo has to apologize for game droughts and slow loading times on Wii U is ridiculous. They are in a horrible position and its looking unlikely with each passing day that this year head start will give them any sort of advantage.

Sony and Microsoft need to take notes. Look at how Nintendo launched the Wii U. Do the opposite.

Around the Network

Nintendo just announced a ton of games about a month and a half ago

RolStoppable said:
VGKing said:
You think a Nintendo Direct will turn things around for Wii U? You do know those millions of people that made the Wii successful aren't going to watch that right? Only the core Nintendo fans. Core gamers aren't the problem, they already have a Wii U. Also the fact that Nintendo has to apologize for game droughts and slow loading times on Wii U is ridiculous. They are in a horrible position and its looking unlikely with each passing day that this year head start will give them any sort of advantage.

Sony and Microsoft need to take notes. Look at how Nintendo launched the Wii U. Do the opposite.

It's still a headstart. Microsoft messed up theirs with the 360 (high price, software droughts, no real must-have titles, unreliable hardware), yet a measly 5.5m units were still good enough to stay ahead of the PS3 for a very long time. A lot of Nintendo's current problems can be fixed before the Nextbox and PS4 launch. Not all of them, but enough to leave the current horrible position behind them.

About two years ago people were quite sure that Sony wouldn't repeat Nintendo's 3DS mistakes with the Vita. I wouldn't count on smooth launches for the Nextbox and PS4.

A headstart is pointless if you're just going to let the other guys catch up to you. Microsofts mistake didn't matter since Sony repeated their mistake as well with a poor launch line-up and higher price.

VGKing said:
RolStoppable said:
VGKing said:

It's still a headstart. Microsoft messed up theirs with the 360 (high price, software droughts, no real must-have titles, unreliable hardware), yet a measly 5.5m units were still good enough to stay ahead of the PS3 for a very long time. A lot of Nintendo's current problems can be fixed before the Nextbox and PS4 launch. Not all of them, but enough to leave the current horrible position behind them.

About two years ago people were quite sure that Sony wouldn't repeat Nintendo's 3DS mistakes with the Vita. I wouldn't count on smooth launches for the Nextbox and PS4.

A headstart is pointless if you're just going to let the other guys catch up to you. Microsofts mistake didn't matter since Sony repeated their mistake as well with a poor launch line-up and higher price.

indeed, Dreamcast got a headstart and was overthrown by the PS2 even tho it had a larger library of games

Come on Ninty. I need news. My Wii U hasnt seen much action recently. I need killer news!!!

Around the Network
trestres said:
the_dengle said:
There's also the matter of the Wii U firmware update coming next month. I expect they'll want to elaborate on that.

Yes most definitely. That and some new features or applications.

i hope the update has the nintendo Tvii added on for EU users thats a good selling point.

apart from that its a wait till E3

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...

RolStoppable said:
VGKing said:
RolStoppable said:

...and Sony and Microsoft are set to launch more expensive consoles with uninteresting launch lineups. The majority of games will be ports of seventh generation games and exclusives like Killzone aren't suddenly going to be system sellers.

You're right about that. But these consoles don't need to light the charts on fire in their 1st year. They have guaranteed long-term support from 3rd parties. The Wii U doesn't so its first year on the market is extremely important as there's where it will find its audience. We still don't even know what the launch line-up will look like for any of these consoles so calling it uninteresting this early is ridiculous. Besides, a Call of Duty, Battlefield and Assassin's Creed will be more than enough for most gamers even if they are just ports of current-gen consoles.

noname2200 said:

I recall reading somewhere that the only years in recent history when Nintendo has failed to reach 100 billion yen are when they've released new hardware. If true (and I'm not saying it is), it kind of puts a damper on expectations.

Toddifer said:
Nintendo needs to do a "3rd Party" only Nintendo Direct. I'm excited for some of the first party titles coming (but come on, who didn't know Mario Kart et. al were coming anyway?), but I need some reassurance that 3rd parties are still willing to bring solid content to the WiiU post "launch window" before I'm willing to take the plunge. 

They did this recently for the 3DS.

The 3DS has enough third-party games to warrant attention. The Nintendo Direct was still underwhelming.

But is that figure of operating profit alone? Or is that net sales or gross profit?

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies

VGKing said:

No, but it will shed light on what Nintendo's actual plan is. Without a plan, there's no hype or anticipation for anything because we don't even know when things are coming, not even retailers know. At the moment people only hear promises. Silence lasts so long (what really hurt Nintendo last gen was silence IMO) and there's no more room to speculate after the fiscal year is done. Launch window, fiscal year, whatever the excuse is going to have to vanish and Nintendo will need to man up and face the challenges aggressively. It's their future, I guess they are a bit worried at the moment to simply take a wait and see stance.

Money spent on advertising will also have to grow expnentially, so that the so called Nintendo core gamers aren't the only ones aware of what's actually coming up and how is the Wii U any different to the Wii.

I suggest not getting your hopes up for the other cnsole launches yet.

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies

Nintendo has to stop announcing games and start giving solid release dates and releasing games. ASAP. It's a crime what they are doing to Pikmin 3. Not only is it not released yet, but it hasn't even got a release date!

Wii U is a GCN 2 - I called it months before the release!

My Vita to-buy list: The Walking Dead, Persona 4 Golden, Need for Speed: Most Wanted, TearAway, Ys: Memories of Celceta, Muramasa: The Demon Blade, History: Legends of War, FIFA 13, Final Fantasy HD X, X-2, Worms Revolution Extreme, The Amazing Spiderman, Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate - too many no-gaemz :/

My consoles: PS2 Slim, PS3 Slim 320 GB, PSV 32 GB, Wii, DSi.