By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What was the most recent game you've beaten without strategy guides/Forum help/Nerf Patches/Cheats?

Tagged games:

Pretty much all the games I beat recently Forza 3, Forza Horizon, Heavy Rain (will probably use a guide for my second play through), God of War 3, Dead or Alive 5, Infamous and Crackdown. I am using a guide to finish the game I'm currently playing Tales of Vesperia.

Around the Network
bananaking21 said:
pokoko said:
Damn, uh ... I just realized that I almost always look something up, even if it's small, like card combinations in Persona 3 or boss farming videos in Borderlands 2.

This is hard.

I'll go with Torchlight 2. I looked up character classes but I don't think I looked up anything about gameplay.

im exactly the opposite, i dont look anything up until i absoluty have to. like in heavenly sword. i reached the last boss fight, got stuck then for some reason i didnt play the game and finish it, i returned to it after a month and half or so and i completly forgot the controles and how to play, i had to look up some technique's on how to finish it.

though this does show the difference between my taste in games and yours. from what i read on the forums your more in RPG's and JRP's. where im more action oriented or adventure games, which usually have lower difficulty levels

That's probably true, though it's likely less about difficulty and more about certain types of games having a lot of hidden content.  I don't like missing stuff.  I want to know about the stuff I'm not likely to find during a normal play-through.  I want all the rare items I can get.

Also, this might sound kind of strange, but I'm not really a fan of boss fights in general.  I find a lot of them to be gimmicky, and if I'm ready for the story to progress, I don't mind using cheap tactics.  It's not that I don't like difficulty, as one of my favorite things is to fight higher level enemies before I'm supposed to, like Deathclaws in Fallout, it's just that a lot of boss fights are kind of generic and use predictable patterns.  I have a lot more fun fighting through a tough patch of elites.

platformmaster918 said:
God of War Ascension on hard. Didn't seem as hard as 3 and GoW is the only hack n' slash I play.

Haven't done a GOW hard mode since the first. Maybe I'll give Ascension a try. This was the most fun I've had playing a hack n' slash in a while.

I am the Playstation Avenger.

Mass Effect 1 and 2. Hopefully Dark Souls will join that list one of these days... I'm having a lot of trouble with Smough and Ornstein probably because I ate all my Fire Keeper Souls instead of using them properly... 

Dishonored.

Nintendo and PC gamer

Around the Network

In 2012 and 2013 the only game I looked for help online was Resident Evil Revelations. That Scagdead boss looked impossible to beat after one million tries at killing him. Otherwise, I normally never search anything in strategy guides/google.

I always finish a game without using strategy guides. If I like the game enough to replay it. I'll use strategy guides then to get more out of it, or see if I missed anything, but never on the first play through.

I was walking down along the street and I heard this voice saying, "Good evening, Mr. Dowd." Well, I turned around and here was this big six-foot rabbit leaning up against a lamp-post. Well, I thought nothing of that because when you've lived in a town as long as I've lived in this one, you get used to the fact that everybody knows your name.

tomb raider

pokoko said:
bananaking21 said:
pokoko said:
Damn, uh ... I just realized that I almost always look something up, even if it's small, like card combinations in Persona 3 or boss farming videos in Borderlands 2.

This is hard.

I'll go with Torchlight 2. I looked up character classes but I don't think I looked up anything about gameplay.

im exactly the opposite, i dont look anything up until i absoluty have to. like in heavenly sword. i reached the last boss fight, got stuck then for some reason i didnt play the game and finish it, i returned to it after a month and half or so and i completly forgot the controles and how to play, i had to look up some technique's on how to finish it.

though this does show the difference between my taste in games and yours. from what i read on the forums your more in RPG's and JRP's. where im more action oriented or adventure games, which usually have lower difficulty levels

That's probably true, though it's likely less about difficulty and more about certain types of games having a lot of hidden content.  I don't like missing stuff.  I want to know about the stuff I'm not likely to find during a normal play-through.  I want all the rare items I can get.

Also, this might sound kind of strange, but I'm not really a fan of boss fights in general.  I find a lot of them to be gimmicky, and if I'm ready for the story to progress, I don't mind using cheap tactics.  It's not that I don't like difficulty, as one of my favorite things is to fight higher level enemies before I'm supposed to, like Deathclaws in Fallout, it's just that a lot of boss fights are kind of generic and use predictable patterns.  I have a lot more fun fighting through a tough patch of elites.

i really dont care much for hidden stuff, unless they are essential to the game, like the magic and health upgrades in god of war. and also i generally preffer fast paced games, i dont like sticking around looking behind every corner, i just want to progress once im done.

honestly i love boss fights, well as long as they are good. if a boss fight sucks its not that i dont mind using cheap tactics, i actually prefer using cheap tactics. i do agree a lot of boss fights use patterns in them, its i have to do the same thing 3 times and he is done. though thats why i love god of war, even though they use these patterns they usually progress and increase in difficulty as time passes and i need to change my tactic, and in God of was ascension those patterns seem to be 99% gone. there is a boss fight in GoW A which is one of my favorite of all time, the boss fight right before  meeting the oracle, patterns are completely gone, he also changes tactics so i have to change them as well. and fighting him just seemed so dynamic, it felt that as the fight went on each of us were using our strengths and trying to crush each other by taking advantage of each others weeknesses, i honestly loved it. 

blops 2 on all difficulties

REQUIESCAT IN PACE

I Hate REMASTERS

I Hate PLAYSTATION PLUS