By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Fans Same Excuse?

RazorDragon said:
GC's case actually didn't made any sense. It had games(1st and 3rd party), it had the controller, it had the online features, it had even an add-on that played GBA/GBC games and also GBA connection that allowed new gaming possibilities, it was the smallest and most reliable console of that generation and, most importantly for the gaming forums crowd, it had the graphics.

So, what can we conclude from all that? Gaming market makes no sense.

It couldn't be used for media and lets be honest, the games were not new or fresh. Fable was new. Halo, DMC, GTA, PoP, SotC, ES 3, KOTOR were new games. The list is huge. Splinter Cell, Ghost recon, Killzone, Hitman, Red Faction, Time Splitters, NFS etc etc etc.

Mario, metroid, and Zelda AGAIN were not new, but simple remakes. Yawn, I'll pass thanks. When they make a new game then maybe Nintendo have a chance.

Around the Network
Soleron said:

CoD wasn't tier one treatment because of the late release and lack of online features

I don't know why 2D Mario didn't work.

2D Mario did it's job. Haven't you seen the attach rates? (Still, Nintendo shouldn't have thought that 2D Mario would be the answer to all.)

NintendoPie said:
Because the "No games" "excuse" is the truth.

You say GC had Mario? True. Did it have 2D Mario, though? No. You say GC had Pokemon, true. Does "anyone" buy console Pokemon games though? No. You say the GC had several Zelda's. True. Did anyone like most of those Zelda's at first though? No, people ridiculed them (WW for example) because they weren't what they wanted.

There you go, there's your answer.

oh please, people give 2d mario to much credit, N64 did ok without it, Wii was doing great without it. and it isnt doing too much for 3ds and it aitn really doing crap for wii u. everything else is spot on

The games will only get the Nintendo fans to buy the console, but will not help them beat Sony or Microsoft.

IMO the console is dead, appealing to the casual with the tablet makes no sense because it is nothing new and the "hardcore" won't buy a nintendo console because they want more than just the games( consoles are media hubs now) and the KNOW(yes, they know for sure) nintendo is gonna have the worst third party support, so this console is aimed at nobody and has no market at all.

Around the Network

Unlike what Nintendo had in mind, the WiiU will be mostly bought by Nintendo fans. The casuals didn't flock to the system like the Wii. The WiiU will sell like the N64 and GC.

Turkish said:
Unlike what Nintendo had in mind, the WiiU will be mostly bought by Nintendo fans. The casuals didn't flock to the system like the Wii. The WiiU will sell like the N64 and GC.

This. Nintendo doesn't has to go casual if they ever hope of beating Microsoft and Sony.

Pavolink said:

Osc89 said:

I'm guessing people who aren't sticking around for another installment

NSMB Wii 27m -> NSMB U 2m

Seriously though, if the next best selling game after Kart couldn't get the Wii U off the ground, how can any other Nintendo franchise guarantee sales? Does this look like mass appeal to you?

This is a joke, right? Tell me you are not comparing sales of a game with more than 3 years in the market in an active userbase with a game with only 5 months in the launch of a console.

And answering your question, there's no game in this world able to save a console, but most of a mix of different factors including software.

Now, I'll ask you how do you know that people in not going to stick in those franchises. 3DS MK and SM3DLand have proved the contrary.

Yeah I was kidding about directly comparing, but the point I make after still stands. If the second best selling franchise still led to a poor launch, why would any other franchise sell the system? People may stick with the franchises, but not enough to buy the system for them judging from NSMB. I was trying to relate your list of franchise sales increase to the OP, which asks whether Nintendo games are enough to sell the Wii U, and NSMB is the only example so far. And it should be a good one considering only Kart does better.

PSN: Osc89

NNID: Oscar89

NintendoPie said:
Because the "No games" "excuse" is the truth.

You say GC had Mario? True. Did it have 2D Mario, though? No. You say GC had Pokemon, true. Does "anyone" buy console Pokemon games though? No. You say the GC had several Zelda's. True. Did anyone like most of those Zelda's at first though? No, people ridiculed them (WW for example) because they weren't what they wanted.

There you go, there's your answer.

What does a 2D mario have to do with GC having everything a Nintendo fan could want but not enough for everyone else? Nintendo must go casual to survive the onslaught of Sony and Microsoft. Sony took their undisputed third party status, Microsoft halved that status with Sony and now Nintendo must think outside of the box to win since third parties are few unless they work with third parties to have all of the games anyone could want on their system. No one wants a tablet to game outside of an IPad and other all in one tablets. Nintendo will satisfy their core, but everyone else will look elsewhere for something new. Now that consoles are powerful enough in the next gen the possibilities are higher. Take COD for instance, the new COD is confirmed for all next gen consoles (yet Nintendo isnt on that list) and PC.

WiiU definitely doesn't have a ton of software yet, but I think the huge casual market the Wii had isn't there. I've seen a lot of comments about ps2 not having any games and only sold well because of dvd playback. GTA 3, devil may cry, gran turismo 3, twisted metal black, and metal gear solid 2 all released in the U.S. before gamecube and xbox hit the U.S. market.

Give WiiU some time to release nintendo games, I'm sure sales will pick up.