By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Quantic Dream has no interest in ending Sony exclusivity

Screamapillar said:
BloodyRain said:
Sony should just buy this studio already.

They don't want to be bought.  They enjoy being an independent studio.  Didn't you read the article?

I didn't see anything in the post that said they would be opposed to being bought by sony or that they like being idependent. Where do you see that?

Around the Network
Screamapillar said:
BloodyRain said:

They don't want to be bought.  They enjoy being an independent studio.  Didn't you read the article?

http://www.vg247.com/2012/03/09/quantic-dream-open-to-becoming-first-party-sony-studio/

sales2099 said:
CGI-Quality said:
sales2099 said:
CGI-Quality said:

False. As the publisher, they have the ability to create deadlines, due dates, and such. You learn that when you become a game dev. Heavy Rain had deadlines.....imposed by Sony (David Cage made it clear). 3EYOND is no different.

Sonys imposed deadlines consist of saying: "You finish it when you can. Take your time."

Good for the consumer because they give a no-pressure atmosphere. Just saying thats what I, and others think of when thinking of Sony and deadlines.

I'm just correcting your error of assuming the publisher imposes no deadlines. 

To be fair I thought Sonys idea of a deadline was not having a deadline :P

Factor 5 had to meet a deadline for Sony to release Lair in time for the holiday season. L.A Noire was dropped by Sony who predicted (accurately) that the game was a money sink and wouldn't see profit. They also dropped Adrift from Dontnod Entertainment.

I guess they will allow a project to continue longer than many publishers if they see potential and trust the developers, but if they don't they will and have pulled out of a few contracts.

Wright said:
PullusPardus said:
Wright said:
thekitchensink said:

I respect their decision to make Beyond, but I wish they had done this, too. Some of the endings in Heavy Rain were very clearly setting up sequels :(

Hum...not exactly. I felt like the endings were rushed, or lazy job at the very end.

You should have seen fahrenheit / Indigo Prophecy , its the definition of a rushed game, play half the game and then eject the disk and throw it out of the window.

Oh, I've beaten Fahrenheit several times. xD The first half is incredible. Don't know what happened to Quantic Dreams in the second half...

there is no second half. Or at least not much of it, they were forced to leave out a few months of plot and finish the game up as it were without properly explaining what happened in that time.

shame really. they should go and remake that game complete with the missing part.

“It appeared that there had even been demonstrations to thank Big Brother for raising the chocolate ration to twenty grams a week. And only yesterday, he reflected, it had been announced that the ration was to be reduced to twenty grams a week. Was it possible that they could swallow that, after only twenty-four hours? Yes, they swallowed it.”

- George Orwell, ‘1984’

Porcupine_I said:
Wright said:
PullusPardus said:
Wright said:
thekitchensink said:

I respect their decision to make Beyond, but I wish they had done this, too. Some of the endings in Heavy Rain were very clearly setting up sequels :(

Hum...not exactly. I felt like the endings were rushed, or lazy job at the very end.

You should have seen fahrenheit / Indigo Prophecy , its the definition of a rushed game, play half the game and then eject the disk and throw it out of the window.

Oh, I've beaten Fahrenheit several times. xD The first half is incredible. Don't know what happened to Quantic Dreams in the second half...

there is no second half. Or at least not much of it, they were forced to leave out a few months of plot and finish the game up as it were without properly explaining what happened in that time.

shame really. they should go and remake that game complete with the missing part.

I don't know. People's opinion are different regarding the "second half" of Fahrenheit. I like to think it is when Lucas Kane dies, once.. It was fantastic even when it happened. Yet after that moment, my complain (big complaing) came: the chroma, and the purple's team. What was all that about? I thought mixing things with Maya's mythology was awesome, but then Lukas became Goku and start punching everyone, Matrix-style.

Around the Network
sales2099 said:
CGI-Quality said:
sales2099 said:

Does sony own this developer? If not, then offcourse Sony can't impose deadlines. That would be just silly.

Sony publishes their titles, but doesn't own the company (yet). This still gives them a say-so in meeting deadlines.

Not exactly. Sony isnt responsible for paying employee salaries and building maintenance. Id imagine they be a tad more strict if they did.

In fact they kind of are. They are funding the studio after all... ¬_¬

"We're certainly not going to change partner for the sake of making more money; that's not the philosophy behind our studio. As long as we can create the games we want to create, we'll stay with Sony."
Which eloquently sums up what this company's vision is all about and why Sony doesn't have to own them for exclusivity. They are already by default.
RESPECT.

sales2099 said:

Does sony own this developer? If not, then offcourse Sony can't impose deadlines. That would be just silly.

what are you talking about? if they are funding the project of course they can impose deadlines

Dallinor said:
sales2099 said:
CGI-Quality said:
sales2099 said:
CGI-Quality said:

False. As the publisher, they have the ability to create deadlines, due dates, and such. You learn that when you become a game dev. Heavy Rain had deadlines.....imposed by Sony (David Cage made it clear). 3EYOND is no different.

Sonys imposed deadlines consist of saying: "You finish it when you can. Take your time."

Good for the consumer because they give a no-pressure atmosphere. Just saying thats what I, and others think of when thinking of Sony and deadlines.

I'm just correcting your error of assuming the publisher imposes no deadlines. 

To be fair I thought Sonys idea of a deadline was not having a deadline :P

Factor 5 had to meet a deadline for Sony to release Lair in time for the holiday season. L.A Noire was dropped by Sony who predicted (accurately) that the game was a money sink and wouldn't see profit. They also dropped Adrift from Dontnod Entertainment.

I guess they will allow a project to continue longer than many publishers if they see potential and trust the developers, but if they don't they will and have pulled out of a few contracts.

Adrift/Remember Me looked like it could have had potential

..hmm everybody wants to be like Uncharted these days..

Turkish said:
Screamapillar said:
BloodyRain said:

http://www.vg247.com/2012/03/09/quantic-dream-open-to-becoming-first-party-sony-studio/

Quantic Dream probably still has a little bit to create for Sony and than they will become probably 100% 1st Party.
If you have the chance you NEED to become a Sony 1st Party or at least a close friend to them especially if you don't create mainstream games like Shooters that sell no matter how good the quality is.
QD said before the PS4 Presentation they already have enough ideas for 4-5 new games and already work on some concepts.Probably one of them is the recently confirmed PS4 Project they announced.
They already plan to work for many many years with Sony and we can be pretty sure the quality will rise with every game and so will their fanbase especially NextGen.

Sony is by far the best Publisher and friend in the gaming industry.
That insane variety in genres,new projects(a lot of New IPs all the time) and communities they support doesn't even exist on other platforms.
Their really close ones like Naughty Dog are even allowed to do what they want...They don't have to stick to one Franchise and are allowed to touch even new,untouched and hard to create genres this late in the Gen.