By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why i'm going full digital next gen..

Tagged games:

I'm going full frontal. I thought about all digital on Wii U for the 10% discount but I like having physical copies. I like opening the case, I like having a physical collection. And I like knowing that I have these games forever. My family still plays my old SNES, and my nephew picked up a used SNES and was able to borrow all the games. Those things are like 20 years old.

The good thing about digital is the ease of swapping. I play brief periods of BLOPS2 after other games, so I wouldn't mind being able to tap the icon and start it from the couch, then go back to whatever other game I was playing. But I guess that just makes me really lazy for not wanting to walk to the entertainment shelf.

Around the Network

I can't do full on digital because of the cost. Not going to pay $60 a game then it become worthless. I buy a physical copy for $60 I know it's worth at least $10 down the road.

I usually just pre-order at Gamestop/EBGames, the only time I did online was for imports at www.thehut.com (UK) and they actually got the games to me before/at launch. And amazingly, for less than if i'd bought it here.

But I totally feel where you're coming from, what's the point of pre-ordering if they don't get it to you launch day?

Soriku said:
I don't think I can ever go digital only. There's no guarantee those games will be with there in the future (say if your console breaks down a long time from now and those games aren't available for download anymore...) unlike retail copies.

unlike retail copies?  you mean like the VHSs I threw out because i didn't have a device to play them anymore?  or my cassettes?  if not for digital my CD collection would be useless too.  i've got two boxes full of NES, snes, n64, gc, and gb games i can't really play anymore.  i ended up re-buying my favorite snes games for wii because they breaking out the old snes is just too much work at this point.  actually, i'm not sure my tv even has the right connectors anymore for an nes.

...no guarentee but i have more faith in the longevity of my psn library (via gaikai i hope) than my any of the physicals i've every collected.

I have a more convient reason: my game collection is taking waaay too much space.. I already have my music and video fully Digital...

Real reason: my gf is naging me that they take up too much space.. She's right but don't tell her that..

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

Around the Network
kowenicki said:
You know what.... Likely me too! (aside from a few where I need to keep the collection going)

I'm guessing all titles will be available as day 1 downloads next gen and I cant be arsed pre-ordering packaged games from incompetent online retailers or dealing with some spotty student working a part time job at GAME.

i ended up boxing up my CDs this last year, i use amazon's (lol@self) cloud service currently.  i'm looking at my dvds with regret now too.  so much space taken up for no real good reason.  i need to figure a way to rip them all to a harddrive or something and box them up too.

JoeTheBro said:
See I'm in a worse situation. I'm up at college and as a gift my mom decided to buy me the game. Well she got it on launch day yet I'm not going home till spring break which is next week. Do you want to know what's even worse, or good? All 11 days of spring break I'll be on a cruise. After that I have to go back up to college for another month before I'll finally play the game. My PS3 in the dorm died :(

I have had the new GOW for a week and a half now and am like half way through the game playing in increments because of finals. Luckily my last final is tomorrow but good lord this is painful. I will finish it on my last day before I leave for spring break as soon as I come home from finals dinner with my dormmates.

superchunk said:
They purposely delay a few days if you don't pay for the expedited shipping. Basically all of those that do, get preferred treatment and yours is on the B list.

do you have proof on that?  i mean, i fully believe you based on my experiences but do we know that to be true?

NiKKoM said:
I have a more convient reason: my game collection is taking waaay too much space.. I already have my music and video fully Digital...

Real reason: my gf is naging me that they take up too much space.. She's right but don't tell her that..

yeah, that is a good part of why i'm thinking of going full digital instead of finding a new online or physical retailer.  that and the awesomeness of switching games fast/easy without getting off the couch.

I have litterally purchased a new game from psn simply because i didn't want to swap the disc.  yeah, i'm that lazy.

Err...I prefer physical. Having said that, I'd like to start buying things in Amazon (Because retailers in Spain sucks and only have FIFA's in stores), but OP's story makes me doubt... ;_;