By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - VGLeaks: First look at Durango XDK (always connected, kinect required, no play from optical discs))

Let me explain what these rumors mean for those who don't seem to understand.

Always Online: This DOES NOT MEAN you HAVE TO BE ONLINE in order for the console to function. All this means is that the console can be kept always online in a low power state so that you can download updates/patches/new games remotely without having to turn on the console. Eliminates wasted time when you come back to your games to find updates waiting.

Play from Optical Not Supported: This DOES NOT MEAN you do not need the disc in the tray. Nor does it mean used games are blocked. As of this time, it simply means that you must install all games and they play from the harddrive at that point. No info regarding whether the disc is still needed for license checks or whether the disc will only work on that one console/account after install. Even if it does, I don't care. Like Kitler said. You get the benefits of digital distribution content, without the drawbacks of needing to download the game or having to have a fast internet connection.

Kinect Required: This DOES NOT MEAN that every game has to use it, or that you even have to use it. All it means is that you have to have kinect plugged in for the console to function. Probably because of the deep integration with motion/voice controls that will be usable should you so choose. This is a non-issue.

Around the Network
slowmo said:
M.U.G.E.N said:
slowmo said:
M.U.G.E.N said:
slowmo said:
Yawn, haven't you guys got some riveting PS4 threads to post in rather than coming in here to annoy Microsoft fans based on unsubstantiated rumour. ANYONE could fake those screenshots.

Pretty much ALL VGleaks articles had threads in this forum. Better question is why not take your yawning outside of a thread that you don't like? VGLeaks gets a lot of credit because they have been on the money about almost all the info they have talked about. Heck they are not alone, even EDGE and other sources have said the same stuff that's in the OP before.

I don't mind the actual thread at all, had you bothered to read my post you would have understood this.  My point is there is a lot of people making assumptions based on some screenshots and posted their assumption as fact.  Had you been a more reasonable poster then you might have seen why this is tiresome to hear the same posters making the same assumptions in every speculative thread and using it to bash Microsoft. 

Enjoy your break.

But this is a rumor thread tho...why have issues with people speculating? That's the whole point. And this is not even the worst kind of rumor/speculations either in the past week or so. Been reading the next box might have two APUs etc too lol I AM being reasonable here whether you agree or not. It's just the nature of rumor threads. No reason to complain about it, especially since most are being very good in the way they are discussing what this could mean. The only reason why you think people repeat the same opinions is because the same rumor or similar rumors keep coming up from different sources from time to time. VGleaks, Gaf, EDGE are some examples

Speculation is fine though.  Posts such as "Random bullshit rumour #1 confirmed, Nextbox sucks".  I've no problem with reasonable discussion on the topic, but there is a distinct lack of it occuring in most of these threads.  A lot of the early posts were basically bashing the Nextbox and treating this as a confirmation when it is in fact easy to fake this news and the rumours are nothing new, they're just recycled rumours put in a pretty package to try and get more hits.  This is fake, pure and simple.  As mentioned earlier in the thread, there was plenty of rumours about the PS4 that were bullshit too but they get forgotten quickly in every speculation thread about the nextbox as people are constantly trying to spin negatives. 

All I ask is if you must question the impact of these rumours, using words such as IF, COULD, POSSIBLY, MAYBE would be nice instead of posting opinion as fact constantly.

P.S - I read the thread again and to be honest there was only 2 people that were annoying before my initial post but they posted multiple times and basically posted a load of crap that wasn't true.  There were others after my post but they fell under the category of obviouis troll accounts.  Anyway, I think I'll leave you to debate away with anyone else you like about the rumours as I said my thoughts on what I thought about the validity of the "leak".

ok I agree that people should keep an open mind about this. Anything could happen really. After MS officially reveal things fud will be removed anyways. Around 1 more month go to till reveal (well according to rumors at least)

Sooner we get these things cleared out the better..then we can focus on games 100% :)

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!

"This world is Merciless, and it's also very beautiful"

For All News/Info related to the PlayStation Vita, Come and join us in the Official PSV Thread!

VGLeaks is saying this info new and SuperDaE is saying it's old.

nightsurge said:

Always Online: ... All this means is that the console can be kept always online in a low power state ...

Kinect Required: ..All it means is that you have to have kinect plugged in for the console to function.

I have always wondered why I am the only guy in the world who has to pay for the electricity I'm using. Apparently this is a non-issue for everybody else...

Found this on Edge:-

"Fresh documents posted on vgleaks.com related to the next Xbox are real, our source has confirmed.

Our insider described the screengrabs from the Durango SDK on vgleaks.com as “entirely legitimate”, although they contain much of the same information we revealed on February 6th, and were circulated to developers working with the console last year.

The ‘Durango Hardware Overview’ section re-iterates that Microsoft’s next-generation console – codenamed Durango – will be “always on, always connected”.

“Durango will implement different power states so that it can always be powered on, but will draw minimal electricity when not in use,” the document reads. “The console will be ready instantly when users want to play, and will always maintain a network connection so that console software and games are always current. With this “Always On, Always Connected” design, users will quickly and easily enjoy their connected entertainment experiences, with no waiting for the console to restart or install games.”

The new leak also tallies with our original story in that it confirms the new console will be bundled with a new, improved Kinect and also include a Blu-Ray disc drive.

It does reveal, however, that all games on Blu-Ray will be installed onto the console’s hard drive, and that play from the optical disc will not be supported. Game players will, however, be able to play games as they are being installed on the console."

http://www.edge-online.com/news/new-always-on-always-connected-durango-leak-is-real/

Around the Network
slowmo said:

Speculation is fine though.  Posts such as "Random bullshit rumour #1 confirmed, Nextbox sucks".  I've no problem with reasonable discussion on the topic, but there is a distinct lack of it occuring in most of these threads.  A lot of the early posts were basically bashing the Nextbox and treating this as a confirmation when it is in fact easy to fake this news and the rumours are nothing new, they're just recycled rumours put in a pretty package to try and get more hits.  This is fake, pure and simple.  As mentioned earlier in the thread, there was plenty of rumours about the PS4 that were bullshit too but they get forgotten quickly in every speculation thread about the nextbox as people are constantly trying to spin negatives. 

All I ask is if you must question the impact of these rumours, using words such as IF, COULD, POSSIBLY, MAYBE would be nice instead of posting opinion as fact constantly.

P.S - I read the thread again and to be honest there was only 2 people that were annoying before my initial post but they posted multiple times and basically posted a load of crap that wasn't true.  There were others after my post but they fell under the category of obviouis troll accounts.  Anyway, I think I'll leave you to debate away with anyone else you like about the rumours as I said my thoughts on what I thought about the validity of the "leak".

Bah, pay them no mind.  They are just bitter as they are the people my Mom REFUSED to sleep with on Xbox Live!

Really not sure I see any point of Consol over PC's since Kinect, Wii and other alternative ways to play have been abandoned. 

Top 50 'most fun' game list coming soon!

Tell me a funny joke!

Why don't we all just give these rumors a rest and wait until April 26th???

Oh yeah ... that dates a rumor too ............ I got nothing here.

The way I see it is that discs will be used to save downloading the games on demand version, with the same usage probably tied to an account as per steam and current XBLA. AIUI, the PS4 will also have an ARM powered "always on" mode too.

drkohler said:
nightsurge said:

Always Online: ... All this means is that the console can be kept always online in a low power state ...

Kinect Required: ..All it means is that you have to have kinect plugged in for the console to function.

I have always wondered why I am the only guy in the world who has to pay for the electricity I'm using. Apparently this is a non-issue for everybody else...

It's called an "OPTION" which means you DO NOT have to use it. Either way, the 2 watts of electricity it uses from being in low power state will cost you about $5 extra a year in electricity costs, so I can understand if that is too much money for most people to handle...

nightsurge said:
drkohler said:
nightsurge said:

It's called an "OPTION" which means you DO NOT have to use it. Either way, the 2 watts of electricity it uses from being in low power state will cost you about $5 extra a year in electricity costs, so I can understand if that is too much money for most people to handle...

More electricity would be spent complaining about it on forums ...