By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - VGLeaks: First look at Durango XDK (always connected, kinect required, no play from optical discs))

D-Joe said:
PullusPardus said:
D-Joe said:
thismeintiel said:
Garland said:
If true, then either Nintendo or Sony have won the next generation console war without lifting a finger.

My thoughts exactly.  Sure, MS fans will downplay these negatives, but once the word is out in the general public, many will stay away from the NeXbox. Especially if they block used games, then Gamestop will not be pushing the system.

What negatives?Not even block used games mentioned in this rumor XDK

it mentions that it wont support playing on disk , so disks are only used for installation , that means its a lot like PCs , you have to enter a serial key, which means no used games.

Won't support playing on disc=/=no used games or even need cd-key

They still can require you to have the disc in the machine

Don't tell me it won't read the disc,if it won't read the disc,how can you install the game?

It's more just like 360,but with require install this time

Let me make it clear for you. No play from optical discs either means:

1. Disc needs to be in tray after install to play the game

2. Disc doesn't need to be in tray, it has an ID that registers to your console/account, the disc then becomes useless

Around the Network
Lafiel said:

upon reading that it seems that this "always on, always connected" only means, that it has a standby mode in which it can still update and maintain network connection (didn't the 360 already do the same?) and not that you need to have your console connected at all times to use it

the part that says it won't play games from disc but rather install all of them and may start playing while installing is curious though - that pretty much rules out below 500GB HDDs and indicates there might be several skus with different HDD size

I guess I’m one of the few that seems most of this information as a good thing:

Installing to a Hard Drive and not running from an optical disk – This is a good thing.  It is one of the complaints about the X360 vs the PS3 (with it’s mandatory installs.)  Developers do not like that they have to design it to run of the optical drive.  It has been limiting games.  Having all mandatory installs will open up publishers to more constancy and power.  Plus, it sounds like even the low end model gets a nice big hard drive.

Kinect 2.0 included and required – Probably also a good thing.  It’s just like my Kinect I use now, only not every game uses it.  Now, it will be moving from an optimal accessory, to something every single game can use. So more games will have the option of Voice/Movement commands – and perhaps more (like in game video/avatar chat.)  But don't worry, I'm sure not all of them will force you to use it.

Always On Internet – I read that like the current Xbox 360.  It doesn’t say MUST be always on, but gives you the option of updating/syncing your saves/ and downloading in the background – just like now.  I really doubt they will have a  requirement to be always connected to the internet.  That I would not like, as you couldn’t take your game to your friends, internet goes down, etc.   (I don't think Microsoft will do this and I hope I am correct.)

I still don’t see that it blocks used games. It’s the same now – you can install your game on the X360, but you still need the disk to run it.  But you can sell that disk and delete the install when you are finished.  And if you want to pick it up again, your saved files, are separate from the install. It is still possible it could block used games, I am just not convinced yet.

Overall, this seems like good information that fixes some of the complaints/growing pains about the 360.  I just wish they had scrolled down to ‘Specs.’  Plus, I do not think this is all that recent, as DirectX 11.1 launched with Windows 8, so it might be somting higher or 11.1B.

It will be an ineresting reveal!

Really not sure I see any point of Consol over PC's since Kinect, Wii and other alternative ways to play have been abandoned. 

Top 50 'most fun' game list coming soon!

Tell me a funny joke!

Zappykins said:
Lafiel said:

upon reading that it seems that this "always on, always connected" only means, that it has a standby mode in which it can still update and maintain network connection (didn't the 360 already do the same?) and not that you need to have your console connected at all times to use it

the part that says it won't play games from disc but rather install all of them and may start playing while installing is curious though - that pretty much rules out below 500GB HDDs and indicates there might be several skus with different HDD size

I guess I’m one of the few that seems most of this information as a good thing:

Installing to a Hard Drive and not running from an optical disk – This is a good thing.  It is one of the complaints about the X360 vs the PS3 (with it’s mandatory installs.)  Developers do not like that they have to design it to run of the optical drive.  It has been limiting games.  Having all mandatory installs will open up publishers to more constancy and power.  Plus, it sounds like even the low end model gets a nice big hard drive.

Kinect 2.0 included and required – Probably also a good thing.  It’s just like my Kinect I use now, only not every game uses it.  Now, it will be moving from an optimal accessory, to something every single game can use. So more games will have the option of Voice/Movement commands – and perhaps more (like in game video/avatar chat.)  But don't worry, I'm sure not all of them will force you to use it.

Always On Internet – I read that like the current Xbox 360.  It doesn’t say MUST be always on, but gives you the option of updating/syncing your saves/ and downloading in the background – just like now.  I really doubt they will have a  requirement to be always connected to the internet.  That I would not like, as you couldn’t take your game to your friends, internet goes down, etc.   (I don't think Microsoft will do this and I hope I am correct.)

I still don’t see that it blocks used games. It’s the same now – you can install your game on the X360, but you still need the disk to run it.  But you can sell that disk and delete the install when you are finished.  And if you want to pick it up again, your saved files, are separate from the install. It is still possible it could block used games, I am just not convinced yet.

Overall, this seems like good information that fixes some of the complaints/growing pains about the 360.  I just wish they had scrolled down to ‘Specs.’  Plus, I do not think this is all that recent, as DirectX 11.1 launched with Windows 8, so it might be somting higher or 11.1B.

It will be an ineresting reveal!

Well yeah "always on" means low power mode,and "always connected"=always maintain a network connection even in stand by mode,what is it for?no waiting for the console to restart or install updates.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=50798253#post50798253

But they never said users required online to play games 

Did you hear? Every box will come bundled with a Unicorn.

D-Joe said:

Well yeah "always on" means low power mode,and "always connected"=always maintain a network connection even in stand by mode,what is it for?no waiting for the console to restart or install updates.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=50798253#post50798253

But they never said users required online to play games,even 

Right!

I guess they do not realize the Wii can do this.  Yes, the 'little console that could from 2006.' You can connect your Wii with the internet and have it go to low power mode to download news updates and stuff so they are ready when to turn it on. It even shows you with an amber light vs a little red light when you turn it off.

I'm hoping the licensing will be like the 360 - you can transfer you license over, or some digital games that you buy require you to log in to play (if you haven't transferred your license.) 

I just hope they have a big nice GPU.  Especially since it’s figuratively 2 Generations (8 years) since they upgraded their hardware.  If it is really half the power of it's competitor I will be disappointed.  (It's never a good idea to disappoint me!)

Really not sure I see any point of Consol over PC's since Kinect, Wii and other alternative ways to play have been abandoned. 

Top 50 'most fun' game list coming soon!

Tell me a funny joke!

Around the Network

The always connected thing would be a dumb decision from MS. I doubt they will do this.

The Kinect requirement is believable. I just hope games can be played without making use of it.

D-Joe said:
VGKing said:
There's no reason to block playing games from the disc itself. Mandatory installations aren't that bad if you only have to install a couple gigabytes, but forcing people to install the whole game onto their hard drive is ridiculous. I'm all for reducing load times, but I"m also for saving space and having not having to constantly worry that the next game I buy will fill up my hard drive.

I'm not sure it's problem or not since it said 720 can play the game few seconds after started the installtion

That means even you deleted the game,you can still play it again very quick

Doesn't matter how fast you can get into the game. The constant management of your games collection is going to be really annoying for people with smaller HDDs.

The usual suspects again spinning a rumour to a fact just to help their agenda; bashing msft.
It's a f**** rumour guys!

VGKing said:
D-Joe said:
VGKing said:
There's no reason to block playing games from the disc itself. Mandatory installations aren't that bad if you only have to install a couple gigabytes, but forcing people to install the whole game onto their hard drive is ridiculous. I'm all for reducing load times, but I"m also for saving space and having not having to constantly worry that the next game I buy will fill up my hard drive.

I'm not sure it's problem or not since it said 720 can play the game few seconds after started the installtion

Doesn't matter how fast you can get into the game. The constant management of your games collection is going to be really annoying for people with smaller HDDs.

Is it really a problem in practical terms, especially if the system is half smart about it? We're probably talking of 300-500GB HDs, and of 15-40GB of installed data per game.

Even if you reserve 150 GB out of HD for saved game data, demos, music, smaller digital-only titles you still have space to keep installed data for your latest 5-15 games, maybe up to 25.

A half smart system will simply ask you when you insert a new disk "hey, I need to make space, can I use the space currently used for game X that you have not played in the last 5 months? If not, please choose one from this list of your last 10 installed games". One click, one time.

Housekeeping is not very frequent if you can keep 15 games installed.

"All you need in life is ignorance and confidence; then success is sure." - Mark Twain

"..." - Gordon Freeman

VGKing said:
D-Joe said:
VGKing said:

*looks at ps3 with 12Gb*