By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - VGLeaks: First look at Durango XDK (always connected, kinect required, no play from optical discs))

If this is true, hello Sony or Nintendo, ye has my money. I was already pretty sure that would happen since I'm never going to pay to play online and use apps again, but yeah, this seals it haha.

Around the Network
Pemalite said:
D-Joe said:

Mandatory install never means no used games,they even just said "during gameplay, games will not use content from optical disc",not it doesn't need to check your disc before start the game(not everyone only play one game in one day,right?)

Well,let's say it really have a cd-key thing,but publisher can still sell something like game pass(like online pass) on marketplace,that means you can still buy used games but you also need buy a game pass.

It may also mean used game price will drop a lot btw.

They should allow streaming of games from an optical disc along with hard drive installs as accessing them both in tandem is faster than either single option.
For example they could stream all the texture data from disc whilst the rest of the game data is streamed from the hard drive.
Mind you, I would like developers to have the power to choose how they would like to do it, rather than them being dictated to, more options to squeeze more horse power out of a machine is never a bad thing.

I'm not talking about anti-used game thing so not sure why you quote me since i don't know how fast of the "start the game after start the install" feature(if it's true) yet.

And did some people really think about buy Xbox before posting?

curl-6 said:
I find the "always connected" thing very hard to believe, not even 2011-present Nintendo would be that stupid.

This would also be an issue in Europe: EU makes very strict constraints on power-usage of devices. I think users have the *option* to stay always connected but it can also be disabled. MS knows that there are countries which offer only limited data-plans or have other restrictions to internet.

D-Joe said:
And did some people really think about buy Xbox before posting?

Hahaha, of course and obviously not! :) *looks at thread-starter*

Around the Network
walsufnir said:
curl-6 said:
I find the "always connected" thing very hard to believe, not even 2011-present Nintendo would be that stupid.

This would also be an issue in Europe: EU makes very strict constraints on power-usage of devices. I think users have the *option* to stay always connected but it can also be disabled. MS knows that there are countries which offer only limited data-plans or have other restrictions to internet.

The problem should be why would people think always connected(or always on)=require online?

If it was mandatory for you to be online, it would say it straight up, they wouldn't just skirt around the issue with devs.

We need to remember this doc is for devs,not normal customers

D-Joe said:
walsufnir said:
curl-6 said:

The problem should be why would people think always connected(or always on)=require online?

If it was mandatory for you to be online, it would say it straight up, they wouldn't just skirt around the issue with devs.

We need to remember this doc is for devs,not normal customers

Also it reads "Durango will implement different power states so that it can always be powered on..." To me this sounds optional but everyone reads what one wants :) And this is even more strange when I read PS3-users that use the "feature" of downloading patches/updates over night (of course only via psn+ - you get what you pay for) so that they don't have to wait for patches/updates for their games. Yet, PS3 doesn't provide (afaik) any low-power-mode.

good god, this has to be a rumor, because Microsoft isn't stupid enough to do this

007BondAgent said:
good god, this has to be a rumor, because Microsoft isn't stupid enough to do this

Which explicitely of all? :)

M.U.G.E.N said:
slowmo said:
Yawn, haven't you guys got some riveting PS4 threads to post in rather than coming in here to annoy Microsoft fans based on unsubstantiated rumour. ANYONE could fake those screenshots.

Pretty much ALL VGleaks articles had threads in this forum. Better question is why not take your yawning outside of a thread that you don't like? VGLeaks gets a lot of credit because they have been on the money about almost all the info they have talked about. Heck they are not alone, even EDGE and other sources have said the same stuff that's in the OP before.

I don't mind the actual thread at all, had you bothered to read my post you would have understood this.  My point is there is a lot of people making assumptions based on some screenshots and posted their assumption as fact.  Had you been a more reasonable poster then you might have seen why this is tiresome to hear the same posters making the same assumptions in every speculative thread and using it to bash Microsoft. 

Enjoy your break.