By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Rumour: Final Fantasy XIII Versus will be a PS4 exclusive, budget will be 120m+

Weedlab said:
zumnupy10 said:
Mnementh said:
LOL, I would think a 120M budget is hard to recover even for a FF on PS3 and X360 with >70M install base each. But exclusively to PS4 it will not sell enough to break even, not to talk about profit.
If that rumor is true, that would mean SquareEnix is begging for insolvency. Or that Falcom is buying them. Hmm, SquareFalcomEnix.

OR.....
Sony paid a lot of money to get it exclusively to PS4. At this budget we talk about a really big moneyhat. At least 50M, but 80M seems more likely regarding the loss in sales on a new platform. But that would mean Sony is begging for bankrupty...

OR...
We assume for a moment that both companies aren't completely out of their mind and this rumor is probably untrue. Which seems to be the best explanation.

Sony paid for it to be a PS3 exclusive, It will be made for PS4 because SE couldn't release it on time for PS3.  They won't put more money on this because of SE incompetence.

I have the impression SE wanted to make this game multiplatform, but they are in debt with Sony now.

Also the person who posted this Rumour on neogaf did not explain if the 120M budget is for the whole project (Originally intended PS3 game + PS4 convertion) or for the PS4 version alone.

Is this a fact, speculation or are you speaking in hypothetical terms?

It's pure speculation just like this whole thread.

But FF Versus XIII was announced in 2006.   Do you think Sony paid for a PS4 title even before PS3 was released ?

Around the Network
mutantclown said:
NobleTeam360 said:
mutantclown said:
mutantclown said:
JTurner82 said:
NobleTeam360 said:
Soundwave said:

Good luck recouping those development costs on such a small userbase. I think the game became FFXV a while ago. 

Lol did you just say Final Fantasy has a small userbase? 

I think he means that PS4 will have a small userbase.

Besides, it's not like the Xbox 720 userbase would make a considerable difference in the long run. Not many people care about Final Fantasy among the xbox gamers, and they also sell for one whole region less which happens to be the biggest audience of the franchise.

Well Final Fantasy XIII sold 2 million copies on the 360 so I wouldn't say their isn't any interest in Final Fantasy among Xbox gamers. 

and then XIII-2 sold less than 700K.... I did say "not many" above. And we're talking about they sold those 700K,  and ~2million with a very LARGE X360 installed-base in the USA vs the PS3 installed-base in America which was/is considerably smaller and they still didn't sell much. So what kind of numbers would a Final Fantasy releasing on the 720's first or second year put up? 500K LTD between America and Europe? Nah, neglegible. I wouldn't bother if I was SE. 

XIII-2 was bound to sell less nobody wanted it except the 700k that bought it obviously. Also Lightning Returns is going to probably sell less than XIII-2. When Final Fantasy 15 comes out (it will likely be 720 and PS4) it will probably sell around Final Fantasy XIII or better on 720. They were smart to put Final Fantasy on Xbox. 

NobleTeam360 said:
mutantclown said:
NobleTeam360 said:
mutantclown said:
mutantclown said:
JTurner82 said:
NobleTeam360 said:
Soundwave said:

Good luck recouping those development costs on such a small userbase. I think the game became FFXV a while ago. 

Besides, it's not like the Xbox 720 userbase would make a considerable difference in the long run. Not many people care about Final Fantasy among the xbox gamers, and they also sell for one whole region less which happens to be the biggest audience of the franchise.

Well Final Fantasy XIII sold 2 million copies on the 360 so I wouldn't say their isn't any interest in Final Fantasy among Xbox gamers. 

and then XIII-2 sold less than 700K.... I did say "not many" above. And we're talking about they sold those 700K,  and ~2million with a very LARGE X360 installed-base in the USA vs the PS3 installed-base in America which was/is considerably smaller and they still didn't sell much. So what kind of numbers would a Final Fantasy releasing on the 720's first or second year put up? 500K LTD between America and Europe? Nah, neglegible. I wouldn't bother if I was SE. 

XIII-2 was bound to sell less nobody wanted it except the 700k that bought it obviously. Also Lightning Returns is going to probably sell less than XIII-2. When Final Fantasy 15 comes out (it will likely be 720 and PS4) it will probably sell around Final Fantasy XIII or better on 720. They were smart to put Final Fantasy on Xbox. 

If they're making money on the Xbox versions, then they will continue to release them, simple logic. 

zumnupy10 said:
Weedlab said:

Is this a fact, speculation or are you speaking in hypothetical terms?

It's pure speculation just like this whole thread.

But FF Versus XIII was announced in 2006.   Do you think Sony paid for a PS4 title even before PS3 was released ?

Ah, I see. Well, I asked because I wasn’t expecting Sony to pay anything for it at all. I remember going into this generation they said they were dispensing with the notion of paying for exclusives from third parties, akin to what they did with the GTA games on PS2, and instead focus on building their exclusive content internally. We definitely saw the latter with the likes of LBP, Uncharted, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc.

If they did pay for it as you suggested earlier, then it would stand to reason they paid for it on the PS3, and I guess depending on the contracts that were signed it would carry over to the PS4.

Playstation = The Beast from the East

Sony + Nintendo = WIN! PS3 + PSV + PS4 + Wii U + 3DS

NobleTeam360 said:
mutantclown said:
mutantclown said:
JTurner82 said:
NobleTeam360 said:
Soundwave said:

less the 2m is pretty terrible cosidering it was budled with nearly every 360 in north america, and the exclusive advertising it recieved and the install base difference.

Around the Network

Man so many posts about "square is garbage" "square lost their touch" " square is finished" if this rumor were to be true. Im sure alot of the members here understand this better than the casual gamer's, but in case you missed it let me give you some insight.

This game is being directed by Tetsuya Nomura
He is also the Director of the Kingdom Hearts Franchise

( a old school FF fan will say Nomura is trash and Yoshitaka Amano is god, based on the fact they dont like his character designs for the most part. In which i can understand the hate when you think about it as a FF fan, we have had a female lead since nomura started having rights over character designs starting with ff7 haha.)

Lets have a look at what Tetsuya has done or at least been credited for since FFvs13 was announced:
(development began in Novemeber 2005)

Final Fantasy VII Advent Children 2005 OVA Director
Last Order: Final Fantasy VII 2005 OVA Supervising Director
Kingdom Hearts II 2005 PlayStation 2 Director
Dirge of Cerberus: FF7 2006 PlayStation 2 Character Designer
Dirge of Cerberus Lost Episode 2006 Mobile Phones Character Designer
Final Fantasy V Advance 2006 Game Boy Advance Monster Designer
The World Ends with You 2007 Nintendo DS Creative Producer & Main Character Designer
(this ^^ is the best game that you have never played/heard of)
Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII 2007 PlayStation Portable Creative Producer & Character Designer
Kingdom Hearts coded 2008 Mobile Phones Director
Dissidia: Final Fantasy 2008 PlayStation Portable Creative Producer & Character Designer
Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days 2009 Nintendo DS Director
Final Fantasy XIII 2009 PlayStation 3, Xbox 360 Main Character Designer
Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep 2010 PlayStation Portable Director
Kingdom Hearts Re:coded 2010 Nintendo DS Director
The 3rd Birthday 2010 PlayStation Portable Creative producer & Character Designer
Dissidia 012 Final Fantasy 2011 PlayStation Portable Creative Producer & Character Designer
Final Fantasy Type-0 2011 PlayStation Portable Creative Producer & Character Designer
Final Fantasy XIII-2 2011 PlayStation 3, Xbox 360 Main Character Designer
Theatrhythm Final Fantasy 2012 Nintendo 3DS Creative Producer
Kingdom Hearts 3D:DDD 2012 Nintendo 3DS Director
Final Fantasy: All The Bravest 2013 iOS Creative Producer & Original Concept
Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII 2013 PlayStation 3, Xbox 360 Main Character Designer
Final Fantasy Versus XIII TBA PlayStation 3 Director, Concept Designer, Character Designer & Base Story

I also imagine the KH 1.5 HD remaster would require some input from him somehow.

Well first thing that stands out to me is dudes been working, i know vs13 started what seems like ages ago but give this guy a break, look at that list i count six kingdom hearts games in 8 and a half years. i remember a interview from a while back where he talked about how working on the " light and fluffy" story of KH was getting tiresome, he really wanted to do something more mature more dark. and who can blame him? i fap to KH more than most and while i love the series it is sometimes upsetting to me that the oldest itteration of my new favorite hero is like 16 if that. and while age means almost nothing it dictates alot of his speech for sure which is cheese fest. and not to mention FINALLY not having the binds of Disney shooting down every single awesome idea nomura had for the KH games, forget about you the consumer think about him as a artist, blank canvas FF brand name with pretty much no one to answer to.( just a side note Yoko Shimomura is the composer of vs13 and she will make this game DARK ala that first song Somnus that was really really creepish that launched with the orignal trailer maybe the second one)

Back to the list lets check which consoles were used:

Playstation - 9 (counting Vs13)
Nintendo- 6
Multi - 3 ( ps3 xbox360)
phone- 2
Movies- 2
iOS- 1

Now the Handheld/console :

excluding the phone, movie and ios games as well as vs13 itself
that leaves 17 titles
12 were handhelds
3 were ff 13 1-3 (which mr nomura has really no creative input it seems minus the character design)
Kingdom hearts 2 ps2
dirge of cerberus ps2

Mr nomura has pretty much had zero input to ANY game for ANY console of the ps3/360/wii generation.
(So why start now?? less than a year before the ps4 releases and no news nvm a release date i personally feel with the complete lockout of vs13 news for the past 3 years that there is no plausible reason why this game could not have been moved to ps4. you want that dark mature FF really really bad and you know it, were talking all the things the ff 10 kiddies never had, vast open world, airships that you can drive..not pick a town from a drop down menu, chocobos, cars, day/night cycle , and what seems to be a badass RTE feature.

Nomura has stated that there are two main goals he wants to achieve with Final Fantasy Versus XIII:

To provide the most seamless gameplay experience ever seen in a Final Fantasy game.
To provide the most realistic story, characters and world ever seen in a Final Fantasy game

You want to Play ^^that Final Fantasy let him make it please, and gtfo with your "SE just release it" "omg SE sucks" i know the development has been an astronomical amount of time ( the best was someone who said the game was announced when they were in 6th grade and now hes in like his first semester of college haha) but if this really was switched over to the ps4 it happened right after they started using the luminous engine lighting. just give them time this title has been tucked away from the world for far too long without any HARD news for ANYONE to say that this is going to be a ps3 and ps3 game only. something is up with this game i say ps4 exclusive.

Now this post has been all over the place and i dont really remember what my inital point was but, lets talk about this being a ps4 exclusive. Im getting really tired of the ps3 kids crying and bleeding all over the floor once these ps4 speculations arose. so you bought a ps3 for a game that didnt get released on your console even though it seemed that it was going to be a sure thing? QQ more plz. its funny because i was in this boat sort of, i told myself not bw buy a ps3 untill vs13 or kh3 were released those where my terms. and guess who has no seventh gen console...thats right me. while its depressing that i missed some really quality titles on the ps3 im going to have to get one now anyways for the KH 1.5 hd. i just hate the whining about how much i paid for a ps3 and now i have to buy a PS4??????????? get over yourself and your trash budget, or have more control and not go impulse buy a ps3 becasue I HAZ TO COD WITH FRENDz, The thing with vs 13 being this far into ps3's life is that with kh3 no where in sight you can be almost positive that kh3 will be a ps4 title which i dont know how you feel about that but it makes me feel like a kawii 13 year old schoolgirl.

And this is the other thing, although all the hype this game has is pretty much gone i bet you i know a few folks who follow every piece of vs13 news they can get and that is the KH fans. now while the kh fans are pretty much the same as ff fans meaning the same people, they are waiting for this game to come out. not only will it be a beast title but because vs13 done = start kh3.
kh2 the last console KH sold 4m worldwide not the greatest but understanding that ps4 is around the corner and that the coveted kh3 will sure enough end up on ps4 than hell why not buy one at launch (or not) with vs13.

badgenome said:
ironmanDX said:

How so? Versus is a "spin off" of FFXIII as was FFXIII-2. The only comparson that isn't fair are the console sales as I stated above. Hype for Versus has died. No forum threads about it anymore, no new news apart from this rumor, few Avatars with Versus, (enditall has one.... I think that's his name). If it is revealed at e3 hype will return but after the FFXIII burn many people felt, will it be enough? You can't compare FFX to anything at this stage. PS2 was a beast. It's hard to compare a console that has sold 0 to one that has sold over 120 million. (I know it might come across as dowplaying, it really isn't. Read my first post, I like Square to much to see them lose millions over this game)

Firstly, Versus is not a spin off of XIII. And it's not really surprising that hype has died for a game that has had no real news about it in YEARS. But any new thread on even a rumor (such as this one, or the Versus = FF15 one) gets enough action that there is clearly still interest in the title. No hype when it's a month away from release? That's a problem. No hype now when we know absolutely nothing that we haven't known for years? No problem at all.

I think you're putting the cart before the horse regarding console sales. User base alone does not drive software sales as we've seen time and again, and PS2 was such a beast precisely because of games like FFX. The PS2 had also sold 0 units when work began on that game. Don't forget that much of that $120 million budget (if this rumor is to be believed) is sunk costs. In many ways the best thing for Square's brand right now is to get their shiny new game out on the PS4 early in its life to (a) establish a beachhead for future games and (b) make people forget all about their rather dismal performance this generation. If it's really a game whose qualities evoke the best of the old Final Fantasies, it will sell just as well on the PS4 as on the PS3, if not even better since there will be less competing software. If it's not, then it wouldn't sell so hot on the PS3, either, and they'd be just as fucked.

Firstly, Versus is not a spin off of XIII.

How isn't it a spin off?, it's called FFXIII Versus. In the same universe with different characters. That's a spin off my friend.

I think you're putting the cart before the horse regarding console sales. User base alone does not drive software sales as we've seen time and again, and PS2 was such a beast precisely because of games like FFX. The PS2 had also sold 0 units when work began on that game.

I'm not. If anything you are. You can't compare now to the JRPG golden age! The ps1 sold 100 million did it not? It was the winner that gen while the ps3 sits in 3rd, but will get to 2nd eventually. JRPG's were major system sellers then, now they barely sell at all in comparison. Final Fantasy was possibly the biggest franchise, now to most it is a disappointment. If they haven't spent the 120 million, they should pull the plug now. If they have, I agree with you. They might as well try and get their money back.

Sounds a bit nuts but makes some sense. The games development was obviously pretty disastrous on ps3 - they announced the thing before the console launched and in that time we've still barely seen a sniff of actual gameplay. I've no idea how the studio managed to royally balls things up for that long, and still get funding, but moving it to Ps4 exclusive then at least makes some sense. One console means that the technical difficulties in multiplatform developement are overcome and the ps4 is a much easier system architecture. Even if it doesn't make total sense financially it might be the only way the dev team ever finish the project lol.

$120m is a pretty big figure, but isn't really surprising. Most western studio's cost an estimated $20m a year to run, multiply that by 7 years and you get a larger figure. Japan pay their developers a bit less though. Sony could easily incentize exclusivity too, by cutting royalty rates on the game or something.

I just hope when they next show the game they actually... show it.

ironmanDX said:

Firstly, Versus is not a spin off of XIII.

How isn't it a spin off?, it's called FFXIII Versus. In the same universe with different characters. That's a spin off my friend.

Versus and Agito/type-0 are pretty clearly not spin offs. They were planned well before XIII released and are therefore not derivatives of XIII. They are all co-equal entries (in theory, since type-0's release was horribly mishandled and Versus' hasn't been handled at all) in the Fabula Nova Crystallis series. There are, as far as we know, no connections to the world or characters of XIII, so how is that a spin off? The vague idea that all the games are set in the same "universe", which was seemingly just Square's way of communicating that they are all part of the XIII compilation, is pretty flimsy evidence for that assertion. Anyway, it would be pretty strange for a spin off to be a more ambitious and far more expensive project than the main series.

Dirge of Cerberus was a spin off. XIII-2 is a direct sequel, not a spin off.

ironmanDX said:

I'm not. If anything you are. You can't compare now to the JRPG golden age! The ps1 sold 100 million did it not? It was the winner that gen while the ps3 sits in 3rd, but will get to 2nd eventually. JRPG's were major system sellers then, now they barely sell at all in comparison. Final Fantasy was possibly the biggest franchise, now to most it is a disappointment. If they haven't spent the 120 million, they should pull the plug now. If they have, I agree with you. They might as well try and get their money back.

The JRPG golden age is basically a myth. They were a niche genre then, and they remain a niche genre today. The only major system selling JRPGs then, as now, were Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest. Final Fantasy's decline is not indicative of a general loss of interest in JRPGs but of Square's terrible, terrible mismanagement of the series. The fact that the most prominent series has stumbled so badly gives the illusion that JRPGs as a whole are in decline, but there are actually more JRPGs being released now than there were in the '90s.

Versus is well past the point of no return. There is no way they can just can it at this point, and even if they could it would be approximately the worst idea ever. Square already has a lot of rehabbing to do of the series' reputation, and this would be more than a mere setback. They've already said that another disaster like XIV could kill the company. The backlash from such a move would probably do just that.

Making it a PS4 exclusive is really not any riskier than making it a PS3 exclusive, and it's certainly less risky than not making it at all.

So to put it simple. If these rumour are true = What if PS4 began to flop = Low sales in Final Fantasy XIII Versus = Square Enix asking for a shutdown or being bought by other company