By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Rumour: Final Fantasy XIII Versus will be a PS4 exclusive, budget will be 120m+

PS4 exclusive at $120 million budget is pure stupidity. There's zero chance of making a profit if that happens.

Around the Network
Soundwave said:

Good luck recouping those development costs on such a small userbase. I think the game became FFXV a while ago. 

Lol did you just say Final Fantasy has a small userbase? 

Tetsuya Nomura is the ample example of an artist in the gaming industry which is filled with companies only interested in the money.

His work in final fantasy has shaped rpgs, he made his vision of kingdom hearts come true, and now he is pushing for his next vision.

Any other director would have given up and made the game as fast as they cold, yet one would have to ask what company would allow a director this much time to create a game?

To all the SE haters, if there is one thing you cant take away from them its artistic freedom that all their in house games always get.

Tetsuya Nomura should not release his art until his vision is complete because I know it will be worth it for him and for the true gamers.

NobleTeam360 said:
Soundwave said:

Good luck recouping those development costs on such a small userbase. I think the game became FFXV a while ago. 

I think he means that PS4 will have a small userbase.

JTurner82 said:
NobleTeam360 said:
Soundwave said:

Going by that logic no game developer would make games for a console in the first year.

Around the Network
zumnupy10 said:
Mnementh said:
LOL, I would think a 120M budget is hard to recover even for a FF on PS3 and X360 with >70M install base each. But exclusively to PS4 it will not sell enough to break even, not to talk about profit.
If that rumor is true, that would mean SquareEnix is begging for insolvency. Or that Falcom is buying them. Hmm, SquareFalcomEnix.

OR.....
Sony paid a lot of money to get it exclusively to PS4. At this budget we talk about a really big moneyhat. At least 50M, but 80M seems more likely regarding the loss in sales on a new platform. But that would mean Sony is begging for bankrupty...

OR...
We assume for a moment that both companies aren't completely out of their mind and this rumor is probably untrue. Which seems to be the best explanation.

Sony paid for it to be a PS3 exclusive, It will be made for PS4 because SE couldn't release it on time for PS3.  They won't put more money on this because of SE incompetence.

I have the impression SE wanted to make this game multiplatform, but they are in debt with Sony now.

Also the person who posted this Rumour on neogaf did not explain if the 120M budget is for the whole project (Originally intended PS3 game + PS4 convertion) or for the PS4 version alone.

Is this a fact, speculation or are you speaking in hypothetical terms?

Playstation = The Beast from the East

Sony + Nintendo = WIN! PS3 + PSV + PS4 + Wii U + 3DS

mutantclown said:
JTurner82 said:
NobleTeam360 said:
Soundwave said:

Besides, it's not like the Xbox 720 userbase would make a considerable difference in the long run. Not many people care about Final Fantasy among the xbox gamers, and they also sell for one whole region less which happens to be the biggest audience of the franchise.

mutantclown said:
mutantclown said:
JTurner82 said:
NobleTeam360 said:
Soundwave said:

Besides, it's not like the Xbox 720 userbase would make a considerable difference in the long run. Not many people care about Final Fantasy among the xbox gamers, and they also sell for one whole region less which happens to be the biggest audience of the franchise.

Well Final Fantasy XIII sold 2 million copies on the 360 so I wouldn't say their isn't any interest in Final Fantasy among Xbox gamers. 

mutantclown said:
JTurner82 said:

Going by that logic no game developer would make games for a console in the first year.

I really do hate "that logic". Let's just stick with the PS3 and 360 forever then.

NobleTeam360 said:
mutantclown said:
mutantclown said:
JTurner82 said:
NobleTeam360 said:
Soundwave said:

Well Final Fantasy XIII sold 2 million copies on the 360 so I wouldn't say their isn't any interest in Final Fantasy among Xbox gamers. 

and then XIII-2 sold less than 700K.... I did say "not many" above. And we're talking about they sold those 700K,  and ~2million with a very LARGE X360 installed-base in the USA vs the PS3 installed-base in America which was/is considerably smaller and they still didn't sell much. So what kind of numbers would a Final Fantasy releasing on the 720's first or second year put up? 500K LTD between America and Europe? Nah, neglegible. I wouldn't bother if I was SE.