By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Wii U external hard drive required to download Lego City Undercover, Nintendo says

oniyide said:
mjk45 said:
It would have hardly have changed the form factor to have included a drive bay for an internal drive ,but whats done is done .

This is 2013, they could have easily put a HDD in there that would have alot of space and not take up that much actual room. Hell the drives in the PS3 are not even that big. I was surprised how small they were when i had to update and how cheap

hopefully they will do a hardware revision some where down the line  and include one or at least the option for us to put in a  drive.

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

Around the Network
hsrob said:
If the same people are going to make a big deal about this every time a game bigger than 10gigs comes out, it's going to get old really fast, if it hasn't already.

We've known the Wii U would have a maximum of 32 gigs internal storage ever since the SKUs were announced. It should have been obvious to everyone, given that the optical discs can store tens of gigs, that you were not going to be able to download more than a couple of full sized games before the system was full.

Either you are someone who is happy to buy physical discs or you are someone who was going to (sooner or later) need to purchase a hard drive. That equation has not changed for more than a year.

Thankfully Nintendo has given you, the user, the option to choose a hard drive in whatever size you want or can afford. The alternative is building in a hard drive which drives up the cost of the system by more than the cost of purchasing the same sized hard drive at the store.

Not really all they had to do was have a bay and let us put in our own drives , just like you can swap drives in the PS3 of what ever size you want ,  about the point of it being obvious we would run out of space , it should have been obvious to Nintendo that a drive bay would have solved the problem without greatly increasing  the form factor  , and at the same time leave a smaller footprint than the Wii U plus external drive.

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

MDMAlliance said:
hsrob said:
If the same people are going to make a big deal about this every time a game bigger than 10gigs comes out, it's going to get old really fast, if it hasn't already.

We've known the Wii U would have a maximum of 32 gigs internal storage ever since the SKUs were announced. It should have been obvious to everyone, given that the optical discs can store tens of gigs, that you were not going to be able to download more than a couple of full sized games before the system was full.

Either you are someone who is happy to buy physical discs or you are someone who was going to (sooner or later) need to purchase a hard drive. That equation has not changed for more than a year.

Thankfully Nintendo has given you, the user, the option to choose a hard drive in whatever size you want or can afford. The alternative is building in a hard drive which drives up the cost of the system by more than the cost of purchasing the same sized hard drive at the store.

Of course, Nintendo is going to eventually make Wii U's with more hard drive space.  I think it should be pointed out that it is the next logical step once it becomes cheaper to do.

While this is certainly possible I wouldn't be entirely surprised if they didn't.  Nintendo likes to eke out as much profit on hardware as they possibly can. 

Nonentheless, if they release a 64 or 128 gig version that still isn't going mean you never have to worry about storage, particularly if you are an avid gamer and you want to purchase all your games digitally. That's still only 6 games of the same size as Lego city.  If you want to download, do yourself a favour and get a 500gb+ HDD, that should last most people at least a little while.

mjk45 said:
hsrob said:

Not really all they had to do was have a bay and let us put in our own drives , just like you can swap drives in the PS3 of what ever size you want ,  about the point of it being obvious we would run out of space , it should have been obvious to Nintendo that a drive bay would have solved the problem without greatly increasing  the form factor  , and at the same time leave a smaller footprint than the Wii U plus external drive.

This would have been a reasonable option but now it is coming down to a matter of preference.  As it is I can plug any existing external USB drives that I already have lying around my house.  I don't personally see an advantage to having a bay versus a small external USB drive which, in my entertainment unit, won't even be seen anyway.

hsrob said:
MDMAlliance said:
hsrob said:

Of course, Nintendo is going to eventually make Wii U's with more hard drive space.  I think it should be pointed out that it is the next logical step once it becomes cheaper to do.

While this is certainly possible I wouldn't be entirely surprised if they didn't.  Nintendo likes to eke out as much profit on hardware as they possibly can. 

Nonentheless, if they release a 64 or 128 gig version that still isn't going mean you never have to worry about storage, particularly if you are an avid gamer and you want to purchase all your games digitally. That's still only 6 games of the same size as Lego city.  If you want to download, do yourself a favour and get a 500gb+ HDD, that should last most people at least a little while.

I don't think they'll limit themselves to 32GB maximum.  A remodeling of the Wii U will happen, and considering the approach they are taking with the Wii U, it would be a mistake not to make at least ONE Wii U system with more than 32GB of storage.  

However, I do know that it is very likely that they wont provide enough space for those who like to download lots of their retail games.  At the very least, it satisfies more of the population if they do go with at least one upgrade.  

I also think Nintendo is getting the message about providing more hard drive space after they saw how many people downloaded Animal Crossing.  

Around the Network

Gawd you people are that stupid.. its so fuckin obvious.. and this does not even need to be said..

User has been banned for this post ~Barozi

BluGamer23 said:
Gawd you people are that stupid.. its so fuckin obvious.. and this does not even need to be said..

Are you calling your fellow Nintendo fans stupid? That's not very nice :(

czecherychestnut said:
Fireforgey said:
VGKing said:
Kaizar said:
VGKing said:
That tiny HDD is already biting Nintendo in the ass.

I know........I mean can you imagine people being force to pay up to $25 for a 500 GB external Hard Drive.

If you can't tell I'm showing how you are full of BS, because even a 250 GB external Hard Drive wouldn't cost more then $15.

Where the hell do you shop? 250GB external HDDs cost about $150 on Newegg. Here's the link http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007601&IsNodeId=1&Description=250gb%20external%20hard%20drive&name=External%20Hard%20Drives&Order=BESTMATCH

I just found a 500GB Western Digital HDD on Amazon for $60 without even trying to look for a good deal, I could imagine a $25 if I look really hard and went around, shopping.

Dude, though $150 for a 250GB is way off, you can't get a new 500GB drive for $25, or a 250gb drive for $15, hard drives themselves just cost more than that. And the 2 TB you pointed out requires external power, which though isn't a big issue, it definitely detracts from the Wii U if people have to go to those lengths to get decent storage, otherwise why did Nintendo bother making the WiiU small and nice looking? A full 3.5"" external drive with a power pack isn't much smaller than the WiiU itself. 

And it looks bad from a cost perspective because if you have to buy a 250/500gb drive to be able to effectively use the online store, then the total WiiU cost effectively goes up $50 to $349 assuming you get the basic Wii U, which is way above a 500gb PS3 (and that comes with Assassins Creed 3 or PSN+). 

External hard drives are cheap. If you only know expensive places to buy your stuff from like Best Buy & newegg, then that's your fault:

http://www.cedarpc.com/product/19990/Seagate-GoFlex-Desk-2TB-USB-3-0/

$85 + maybe $10 for shipping.

I don't see it as a problem for Nintendo honestly.
when i first bought my Xbox 360 in 2008 it had a 20GB proprietary harddrive that would cost a fortune to replace with a bigger one, and trust i have wanted to on several occassions.

With the Wii U i can use any of the harddrives i had lying about that i was not using, currently i have my old 400GB harddrive connected to it but might change it for a 2TB soon, harddrives are very cheap when they are not proprietary.

If you you go and buy your console and know you want to be going Digital you should have the foresight to already own, or purchase a harddrive at the same time, and i personally don't know a single person younger than 35 who does not own one or multiple external harddrives, even non gamers.

This is why I probably won't get a Wii U for a while. Either after a new SKU or when Smash and/or Zelda come out. If there's no updated version with better memory by then I'll save for a decent drive. Gah Nintendo ...

Playstation = The Beast from the East

Sony + Nintendo = WIN! PS3 + PSV + PS4 + Wii U + 3DS