By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Nvidia bitterness continues, compares PS4 specs to a 'low-end CPU'

Here is the problem I have an article that takes quoted comments but you do not know what the question was. Those comments appear to be based on being asked a question probably about PS4 just like the last guy. It does not appear to be butt hurt or bitter or anything or the sort, you just getting a one sided view of the situation. For Nvidia, they do not want the console chip business because of low margins which you cannot fault them.

Just because AMD came lower doesn't mean they are hurt about it. Instead as a business they are more interested in having their chips in mobile phones and tablets which are selling pretty strong and a business they want to invest in more.

One of the problems that I see with AMD is that they always low bidding and their financials shows that this is not the way to go. AMD needs to cost their products so the are not in the red all the time because it only take one bad product to tank you once you get on that rollercoaster ride.

While this is great for the consumer to get high end products for much less, its not helping AMD and I hope them low balling for the console market doesn't put them out of business. Its one thing to low ball to get a contract, its something totally different to produce the product and make a profit as well.

Around the Network

Why do most of the comments here come to ascertain further that modern PC-GPUs does indeed crush PS4's APU and support the article? The problem here is games down the road will definitely have to play better on PC. Right now PS4's APU is set to deliver the best for console games.

keroncoward said:
superchunk said:
Nvidia is right.

The APU has by default a mobile based CPU and GPU and therefore they are low/mid products.

This why I been laughing at all the craziness people have gone on about the 8GB of GDDR5 ram.

MSony are not pushing the limits at the start of this gen like previous. This is also why they are significantly closer to WiiU than their predecessors were to Wii. Wii to WiiU is a larger jump than PS360 to PS4/NXbox.

Now after saying that... its obvious Nvidia is in damage control.

RAM wouldnt help with visuals, the GPU would. RAM would help Sony put multiple features in the PS4 though and games might load faster. Anyone that think 8gb of RAM means more graphics is stupid. Im sure the PS4 and Wii U's GPGPU are not that far apart unless the PS4 GPU has features the Wii U is not capable of which im sure is unlikely since they are both mobile phone GPUs and both probably have DX11 features.

Not sure if serious?!?!

- RAM will help visuals - higher res textures for start, plus all next gen engines need lot of RAM for lighting.

- if WiiU's GPU is 320:16:8 part, PS4's GPU is at least 6x WiiU's

- mobile phones GPUs?!?! REALLY?!?!

HoloDust said:
keroncoward said:
superchunk said:
Nvidia is right.

The APU has by default a mobile based CPU and GPU and therefore they are low/mid products.

This why I been laughing at all the craziness people have gone on about the 8GB of GDDR5 ram.

MSony are not pushing the limits at the start of this gen like previous. This is also why they are significantly closer to WiiU than their predecessors were to Wii. Wii to WiiU is a larger jump than PS360 to PS4/NXbox.

Now after saying that... its obvious Nvidia is in damage control.

RAM wouldnt help with visuals, the GPU would. RAM would help Sony put multiple features in the PS4 though and games might load faster. Anyone that think 8gb of RAM means more graphics is stupid. Im sure the PS4 and Wii U's GPGPU are not that far apart unless the PS4 GPU has features the Wii U is not capable of which im sure is unlikely since they are both mobile phone GPUs and both probably have DX11 features.

Not sure if serious?!?!

- RAM will help visuals - higher res textures for start, plus all next gen engines need lot of RAM for lighting.

- if WiiU's GPU is 320:16:8 part, PS4's GPU is at least 6x WiiU's

- mobile phones GPUs?!?! REALLY?!?!

It is a CONFIRMED customized Tablet/Mobile Phone GPU. Go research what the bobcat is (basically the Jaguar is two bobcats put together). The only RAM that would matter to help visuals is the VRAM on the video card itself. The RAM we are speaking about will only help draw distance, how fast the game loads up and they will set aside some to add features like cross game chat and whatever else. People treating 8GB RAM like its the new cell lol. If both GPUs have the same modern DX11 like features then we would not see that much of a difference.

for these people a high end GPU cost + $1000... it would cost +2000$ to build a true high end console, who would buy that? people complain @600, i seriously can't imagine @ 2000 price tag...

Proudest Platinums - BF: Bad Company, Killzone 2 , Battlefield 3 and GTA4

Around the Network

Now I'm reading here the 1152 SPs @ 800Mhz, 1.84TFLOPS GPU is a table/mobile phone GPU???

The graphical leap from PS3 to PS4 is in fact bigger than the graphical leap saw in PS2 to PS3.
Killzone Shadow Fall showed the biggest graphical leap between generations I ever see in a launch game for any previous platform.

OP. nVidia is just crying because lost a huge business contract but look at Intel that is billion times huge than nVidia or AMD... they are giving a shit for what Sony, Nintendo and Microsoft choose for next-gen.

In this case I admire the Intel.

ethomaz said:

Now I'm reading here the 1152 SPs @ 800Mhz, 1.84TFLOPS GPU is a table/mobile phone GPU???

The graphical leap from PS3 to PS4 is in fact bigger than the graphical leap saw in PS2 to PS3.
Killzone Shadow Fall showed the biggest graphical leap between generations I ever see in a launch game for any previous platform.

OP. nVidia is just crying because lost a huge business contract but look at Intel that is billion times huge than nVidia or AMD... they are giving a shit for what Sony, Nintendo and Microsoft choose for next-gen.

http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/142163-amds-next-gen-bobcat-apu-could-win-big-in-notebooks-and-tablets-if-it-launches-on-time

Read it yourself and i expect you guys to still blindly deny everything i typed here. Jaguar APU is 2 tablet/mobile phone gpu taped together (FACT). Most of you never even owned a gaming PC to know what an APU is and how it worked with crossfire. LOL the guy that replied to me dont even know what RAM is and its purpose and im not speaking to you specifically but at least i did my research and know what im talking about.

I somewhat agree to what he says but then I still wonder why he is saying this.

I mean sure they have no deal with Sony or MS this time but they still totally profited from consoles artificially slowing down graphics evolution.

Just look at how fast the fastest Geforce 6 series card was then compare it to the fastest 7 series GPU then to the fastest 8 Series GPU and then we were somewhat STUCK. 9 was 8 200 was a bit faster than 9. The 400 series was also not significantly faster than 200 series etc. etc etc.

2008 I bought a 8800GT (oc) that was like 200-300% the speed of my 1 year old 7600GT (oc).
The 7600 GT itself was like 200% the speed of my old 6600GT

in 2008/9 speed increase slowed down really bad (they came up with dual gpu's etc but noone needs a 500€+ card)
I mean the 9800 GTX+ was 10-20% faster than the 8800GT
The GTX 260 was just 20% faster than the 9800GTX+
The GTX460 was just 20% faster than the GTX 260 etc. etc.
The GTX 560 was just 20% faster than the GTX 460

(I use those cards because those are like spiritual successors to the cards in the previous generation/"same" price range. I am well aware that those are not the HIGH END versions of those GPU generations.)

You either had to accept a slower power increase each generation or a much higher price.

They owe alot to "closed systems where consumers will be stuck with their low performance for 5-10 years"

And saying that PC will be "GODLIKE" is also not true because they will AGAIN artificially slow down GPU evolution in the PC market. PC games will again just have console ports with higher resolution.

I predict we will have "normal" graphics evolution untill like 2015/16 with 2016 seeing the next type of Crysis 1 games that shows how superior PCs are and then thats it no "better looking" game untill 202x when the next consoles come out.

AMD/Nvidia destroyed their only advantage by slowing down the evolution. I mean I bought my PC in 2008 and I can play every game with 30 fps in at least 1280x720.

I added a new GPU but only because my old one had a few problems now I have 6870 thats just 2x the speed so I can play most games in 1920x1080 (not that much of an improvement when you think about how much time was between the 8800GTS and the AMD 6870.

I am not going to upgrade my rig before PS4 and nextbox are out for at least a year or so because we wont see a "fast components" any time soon Its just not economically for consomers to buy this crippled stuff they offer right now.

keroncoward said:

http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/142163-amds-next-gen-bobcat-apu-could-win-big-in-notebooks-and-tablets-if-it-launches-on-time

Read it yourself and i expect you guys to still blindly deny everything i typed here. Jaguar APU is 2 tablet/mobile phone gpu taped together (FACT). Most of you never even owned a gaming PC to know what an APU is and how it worked with crossfire. LOL the guy that replied to me dont even know what RAM is and its purpose and im not speaking to you specifically but at least i did my research and know what im talking about.

lol you really seems to forget the PS4 have a 8-core Jaguar APU together with a HD 7850/7870 (the GCN2 equivalent)... you will never see that in a mobile phone/tablet.

And you know... the PS4 uses the Jaguar "Kaveri"... not the "Kabini" or "Temash"... so not the phone/tablet one... the HSA used in PS4 only exist in the "Kaveri".

PS4 ses the APU used in desktops and high-performance notebooks... and a 8-core one... not the 4-core that AMD will sell the APUs.

keroncoward said:
ethomaz said:

You're getting things mixed up. An APU is a combination of CPU and GPU on the same die. The CPU part in the PS4s APU is relatively weak (2 Jaguar CPU parts put together to give an 8 core CPU component). The GPU component is far more powerful than anything AMD have put into an APU before. It's close to a dedicated 7850 in spec and is the first APU to use the GCN architecture.

You might have done your research, but not very well.